Flaired and tried to bite me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had our beardie since October. I get her out every day to feed her and handle her. She doesn't love to be held but seemed to be very slowly getting better with it. I just let her out to roam while watching her. She quickly took off and went to the sofa and I was worried she would go under it, so I quickly stood up and went to grab her. She flaired and gaped her mouth at me. I jumped back and my husband went over and she was fine with him. I could see how I probably scared her but she's been pretty difficult to handle since we got her. She's still too small to allow her to roam without being really cautious and quick so she doesn't go underneath things. Any tips (other than not standing up to her, behind her, and too quickly) on ways I can make her trust me more? Or is this a beardie thing? I guess I'm just used to dogs :/! We picked a dragon because we thought they would be really laid back and docile. She is very picky and feisty!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You most likely just startled him. It was just a normal defense posture, I'm sure he will be fine. Just remember this for future reference, lol! They look quite intimidating when they do that :shock: !

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Maggie can be a bit of a butthead when it comes to being picked up while out of her home. No matter how docile she is becoming and she will follow me around the house, but as soon as I pick her up outside of the tank she puffs up. I just pick her up anyways and pet her until she calms down or put a small little snack in her mouth to occupy her. But yeah it will absolutely startle you when they do that the first time!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DrogonsDen":3ray27gk said:
We've had our beardie since October. I get her out every day to feed her and handle her. She doesn't love to be held but seemed to be very slowly getting better with it. I just let her out to roam while watching her. She quickly took off and went to the sofa and I was worried she would go under it, so I quickly stood up and went to grab her. She flaired and gaped her mouth at me. I jumped back and my husband went over and she was fine with him. I could see how I probably scared her but she's been pretty difficult to handle since we got her. She's still too small to allow her to roam without being really cautious and quick so she doesn't go underneath things. Any tips (other than not standing up to her, behind her, and too quickly) on ways I can make her trust me more? Or is this a beardie thing? I guess I'm just used to dogs :/! We picked a dragon because we thought they would be really laid back and docile. She is very picky and feisty!

I don't let my young lizards roam until they are too big to go under stuff, about 6 months old for bts and beardies.

I think you moving fast and looming over her scared her.

Fear not, she'll likely become very laid back and snuggly when she's older, took Toothless our boy near 7 months to decide he doesn't mind being picked up and nursed and petted, he is 16 months old now and adores a nice daddy snuggle and petting session but he's very assertive and when he's had enough and wants to play on the floor he lets me know.

DrogonsDen

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone! Glad I'm not the only one! Didn't realize these pets had such personality! Mine gives me the stink eye when I'm too close to her when she's eating. They are pretty funny! I'll probably hold off on letting her roam for now. She's small, but that flair was enough to let me know I don't want to get bit!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Drogon[XIMG said:
879789020493887[/XIMG]sDen":2zlfci9v]Thanks for the replies everyone! Glad I'm not the only one! Didn't realize these pets had such personality! Mine gives me the stink eye when I'm too close to her when she's eating. They are pretty funny! I'll probably hold off on letting her roam for now. She's small, but that flair was enough to let me know I don't want to get bit!
This is what mine did when roaming the patio and didn't want to be disturbed lol
87978-9020493887.jpg

nathb1

Hatchling Member
DrogonsDen":3rm38xsl said:

You can try hand feeding her , it what I did with mine and she loves it now she is 8 months. When she sees my hands in her cage while she is eating she stops and sees if I am going to feed her...
The first day I handled her a bit and touched her few times a day going into her cage. She still struggles sometimes when I hold her ,doesnt stay long on me wants to roam around!Or go back into her cage, she loves it there for some reason :( But I touched her alot while she was a baby!! Like I do with puppies to get used to being touch I dont know if reptiles are the same but... Touch her feet , hands, file her nails lol so I can safely pull her out from her tail if need be without her reacting . Havent seen her flair at me yet!

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Gormagon":2rxxf9vf said:
Drogon[XIMG said:
879789020493887[/XIMG]sDen":2rxxf9vf]Thanks for the replies everyone! Glad I'm not the only one! Didn't realize these pets had such personality! Mine gives me the stink eye when I'm too close to her when she's eating. They are pretty funny! I'll probably hold off on letting her roam for now. She's small, but that flair was enough to let me know I don't want to get bit!
This is what mine did when roaming the patio and didn't want to be disturbed lol
87978-9020493887.jpg

Dont they realised we find them cute when they do this>? lol

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
That is her scary fire breathing dragon stance and, yes it is quite cute but she thinks it works, lol!

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Gormagon":12pycge5 said:
That is her scary fire breathing dragon stance and, yes it is quite cute but she thinks it works, lol!
lol not even 1 pound ... yeah we scared :shock: I love when mine struggles when I hold her and her beard puffs a little while doing so lol im like awww your cute!

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
I'm cracking up reading this!! It's horrible but all I am picturing is Elmira from looney toons ? and sarcastically yelling at your beardie "your struggles only make me love you more!!!"

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Zombiepanda":3it6p2ax said:
I'm cracking up reading this!! It's horrible but all I am picturing is Elmira from looney toons ? and sarcastically yelling at your beardie "your struggles only make me love you more!!!"

haha yes!! Exactly!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
nathb1":3jsxvjnm said:
Zombiepanda":3jsxvjnm said:

haha yes!! Exactly!
If she was 20 ft long I would be a bit concerned, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom