Female bearded dragon, black beard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshD

Today I took my bearded dragon out to run around my room, after about 15 minutes, I went and picked her up. As soon as I did that she puffed all the way up and heard beard was all the way black. I've had her for about 5 months now, and she has never once shown any sign of aggression, or had a black beard. It was like she was frozen in place all puffed up and angry. I wasnt going to try and pick her up like that so I just left her alone for a while, but everytime I walked in the room she would do it again. I was finally able to start petting her and she calmed down, and I was able to get her back in the tank. Is this normal for a female bearded dragon? if so, what causes this? any advice?

joef

Hatchling Member
She might have been frightened by the door, she might have been in a bad mood too. Did you accidentally hit her or something? Because if you accidentally hit her then she might think that your a threat and then you'll have to warm back up to her.

JoshD

Original Poster
no, I didnt do anything differently than I normally do. Not sure what happened, she is shedding right now also. Could just be grumpy I guess, but again shes never done that in the time ive had her

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JoshD":1oq1b9mi said:
no, I didnt do anything differently than I normally do. Not sure what happened, she is shedding right now also. Could just be grumpy I guess, but again shes never done that in the time ive had her

Real risk with inward opening doors when lizards on are on the floor is they know the door opens and seem drawn to it the door, if they are behind the door when you open it (and you can't see they are there) the door can hit them pretty hard and give them a real fright (chance is it will hurt them too if opened fast enough and hits them).

This is why we put down across the hall door opening a long but skinny box (about 10" tall laid on it's side) which acts as a barrier (and allows the lizards to see down the hallway and us to see where they are if we are in the study or in the hall.

Lots of snuggles and petting and some extra treats to win her back over and rebuild the trust seems in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom