Juvie Beardie Aggressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I have had my beardie for a few months now, since July and he was a hatchling (3 weeks old). Up until a few weeks ago, my beardie was skittish, but never aggressive. Now when I try to handle him, he gapes, hisses, and tries to bite me (and has succeeded a few times). Even if I get outside the tank and put my hand up to it he will gape. The other day i covered my hand with my sleeve, he bit and it and bit at it, but once I got him in my hand he calmed right down. I have tried going in at the other end of the tank so I can co.e at him from the doesnt work. I have tried coming to him with greens in my hand but that doesnt work either. He eats just fine, crickets and salads. (I keep saying he, but he is too little to be sexed yet) Last night i picked him up with one of my shirts and got him wrapped up in it and he slept in it on my belly as I stroked his head and back without an issue. Went to pick him up, he jumped out of the shirt onto my chair, and gaped and tried to bite me then too...my husband had to catch him by the tail for me so he wouldnt go inside the chair and wouldnt get bit. Im not sure what to do. I noticed a very small piece of skin shedding off of his tail, but no where else...because ik when reps shed they can get cranky. This is my first time owning a beardie. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
89486-8314376468.jpg
89486-8514571464.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that it's hormones in which case the behavior will be temporary. Is he eating normally? I'd like to double check your setup to see if anything stands out as a possible issue that may have him worked up. What are the temperatures across the tank? Which UVB light are you using and how far does it sit from his basking area?

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Mine was doing this as well a couple weeks ago, same age. I looked through some posts and found a lot of people saying temps that are too high can cause aggression. Maggie's temps weren't too high all the time but because of the house temp fluctuating and a new bulb combined, I hadn't gotten everything settled again. It was just hitting 101-118. Once I got her temps back down to a consistent 104ish she calmed back down and has been a happy, snuggle lady ever since.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Like Cooper suggested, knowing a little more about your set up will help us help you.
This definitely sounds like behavior issues to me however if a few things are off (such as temps and UVB lighting) tweaking this may help him to relax at least some and remove some stress from him.
The good news is he is very young and behavioral issues like this can usually be fixed pretty simply with time and patience.

Countrymassage23

Original Poster
My UVB is one i got from petco and it is the light on the left side of the basking lamp. His basking lamp has always been the same and his basking area where he usually lays is about 90-95, although if he wants to go to the top of his branch it can be hotter (he usually only goes up there right after i turn his light back on in the morning). However, there IS a furnace register under where his tank lays and we have been using the furnace more the last few weeks. His cool area is about 80, but he doesnt usually go over there. He is usually in his basking spot unless he is chasing crickets. I just have a piece of linoleum as substratrle as it is easy for cleaning.

Everything has been the same aside from the paper on the inside of his walls (his tank was blacked out on 3 sides but on the outside and he could see his reflection). Also I should mention that while putting that in there today with the lights off, he never gaped or anything, and let me pet him, and just scurried away when i went to pick him up.

Countrymassage23

Original Poster
89486-7567579280.jpg
89486-4576732903.jpg

Here is a closer look at my setup. The heat lamp is the one that sits higher thanks to the bulb being taller than the fixture, and the UVB is on the left. He sits on the log/hide on the right below the heat lamp generally to bask, sometimes a little higher up his branch.

Also, I have one of my tank tops I wore bunched up by his basking spot..I read on here it can help him with my scent??

Countrymassage23

Original Poster
I just found some skin in his tank. He must be shedding. I have owned leopard geckos in the past as well as snakes, and with those reps, It is pretty obvious when they shed. This little guy not so much.

He did just let me put my hand in the tank and pet him. It wasnt until I tried picking him up that he ran and gaped. So, with other reps, you need to leave them alone for about a week when they shed because it feels like a sunburn...I assume thats what I should do here as well?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is your UVB light a coil or compact? If so then it should be replaced. The UVB lights only last about 6 months as they degrade over time. If you go with the same kind, be sure to get the 26w version. The UVB200 is a decent one. It will have optimal output at about 6-8'' below the bulb. If the bulb is further than that from the main basking area you'll want to use a more powerful light like a T5 tube which will put out a lot of UVB at about 12-14''.

80 on the cool side is OK but the basking area is a little cool. I'd shoot for 100-110 if you can.

If he's shedding, you're right. They can become moody during sheds and sometimes lose their appetites for a bit too. Just let him be and he shouldn't have trouble loosening the shed eventually. He'll probably rub up against the branch to scratch at the skin.

Countrymassage23

Original Poster
The top of the branch is about 110. He goes up there from time to time. This is the 2nd UVB bulb I have had, and I have only had him since July, so 5 months. I got the stronger of the two. I can always put a piece of wood under the log to help get it closer to the lamps.

As far as eating, he has been eating just like always - he is a pig. He ate probably...8 or 9 crickets today, plus some veggies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK that sounds good then. Especially if he's still eating well. Keep an eye on him looking for lack of appetite and more lethargic behavior but he may just be upset due to shed.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
He sure sounds like a feisty one. Keep in mind baby dragons prey animals in the wild and you may well fit his description of trouble, a big scary creature reaching down after them.... Most of the time "aggressive" dragons are just realy scared and they only have so many defenses (running away, biting when that doesn't work). Depending on how you react to his behavior it may also reinforce his fear, such as snatching at him when he runs and grabbing his tail to prevent him from hiding (even if it's for his own safety). I don't really agree with imobizing them for "bonding" as this seems like it would just be teaching learned helplessness not actual trust.

Anyway! My suggestions would be to take it slow and let him have a bit of choice in the matter. Interact with him but if he runs from your hand in his cage don't chase him, if he gapes ignore him. Find a food he likes (waxworms and butter worms are fatty but usually hard for dragons to resist, maybe it's of fruit if he likes it) to use as reinforcement - give him small servings (like one worm) as a distraction when you are in the tank, he gets another when he is good, slowly work up to feeding him from tongs or you fingers, lure him onto your hand with them etc. make it a good experience rather than a scarey one so he learns you are safe. As he gets bigger and more confident he may also calm down and be less feisty.

Countrymassage23

Original Poster
Okay all, I have tried all of your suggestions and he is still an a-hole most of the time...maybe once per month I can put my hand in there and pick him up without him being mean. So I got a bigger tank and am trying that. I am so discouraged...He will be a year old in July, and he still bites me 98% of the time when I try to pick him up. I'm worried he will always be aggressive and if that's the case, I am not going to be able to keep him. A friend of mine has a huge adult dragon and he is so chilled and he climbs on her shoulder and when you pick him up he does NOTHING. I am worried this will last forever and I feel like an ***** because I get bit every time I even so much as put my hand in the tank. It is so frustrating...I just want a beardie that I can enjoy...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear he is still being aggressive. At this point I'd try hand feeding him some treats. Wear gloves if need be but show that you aren't afraid of his bites and offer him some silk worms and see if he starts to associate you with treats and not a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom