4 Year Old Female Beardie Suddenly Agressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metric

Beardie name(s)
Lizzy
My bearded dragon (Lizzy) is suddenly acting very aggressive or maybe skittish towards me. On October 5th I will have had her four years and because she was a few months old when I got her I estimate that she is 4 years old now. In the first month that we had her she gave my sister a quick nip and about 3 months later she hissed at my brother when he was holding her other than that she has never shown any aggression, she is not normally skittish and even when she seemed stressed out she never did anything. I thought she was acting normally up until this afternoon, this morning when I fed her she was fine and ate a bit out of my hand but I have noticed that sometimes she sits in the corner of her tank with her beard dark and puffed up. I left my room and about 4 hours later when I went back the veggies I had given her were all around her tank and she had climbed up a plant by her water dish and was sitting there. That wasn't really odd of her. I brought her out of her tank and set her on my bed and she immediately puffed her beard and body and opened her mouth. She watched me carefully and only relaxed when I moved away from her, ever time I moved to much or got close she reacted the same way sometimes jumping a little. I tried touched her body and she didn't move. I waited a few minutes to see if she would calm down she did not then I carefully put her in her tank. She was puffed up with her mouth open but when I picked her up she did not bite me and seemed as calm as usual.When I put her back in her tank she ran around scared for a minute the began to run back and forth the back wall with her nose against the glass. I pet her all the time when she is in her tank and cannot recall any time in the past 3 1/2 years that she has ever jumped or showed any signs of caring but when I put my hand in her tank she jumped and ran from me and is now hiding under some plants. I'm certain that she is female (vet confirmed), her tank (55g) is set up with a basking spot of about 100 degrees and the rest of the tank is around or above 90 during the day, I've been told this is too warm by the people at the petstore but if it gets any lower she gets lethargic. At night its between 85 - 90 degrees, and she does have UVB light on during the day. Her tank also has a large water dish she can sit in, large rock to hide under, log to climb, a collection of plants at both ends and a dish I keep her veggies and calcium in its also on a carpet made for lizards and she as a hammock. She can be quite picky, will not eat crickets, or any type of worm besides meal worms and super worms. She's okay with most veggies and fruit and gets a variety every day though. There has been no recent changes in her tank, or in the temperature but In my room I have added a fan its not very loud and its on the ground and I don't think Its changing anything I got it 4 days ago. She had a bath yesterday and swam around a bit, her stool was normal. Its been about half an hour since I started writing this I just put my hand in her tank and moved the plants she did not care and let me gently rub her forehead. I take her out of her tank all the time and she usually seems to enjoy it, anyone know why she might have acted so strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom