Why my bearded dragon bites me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,

I got a six-month-old beaded dragon a few days ago. I use a 20 gallon tank for this little guys.

I got basically everything for it UV light, basking light, tree branches etc. The temperature on the hot side is 40 degree Celsius and the cold size is around 25 degree Celsius. I fed my dragon crickets and a little vegetable salad everyday. The tank is dry and clean.

It's just yesterday, I took my dragon out and put him on my floor. He got really excited and tried to explore everything. When I tried to put him back in his tank, he got really mad and escaped my hand several times. The last time I got him, he just bite me on my finger. Luckily, I was wearing a glove and the glove was broken but my finger was fine.
(I am a little scared to touch my bearded dragon and I use gloves to touch it every time. The glove is a very soft thin Kimberly Clark glove. That wouldn't hurt him at all)
I always handled him gently and I don't understand why he bites me!

Also he is always doing the glass dance in the tank. He seems so eager to get out of his tank.

I have to take him out to clean his faeces everyday but I am now afraid of taking him out. Does anyone know why he bites me? What should I do?

wulfie

Hatchling Member
He is teaching YOU what he wants instead of the other way around. Don't back off when he goes to bite. If he wants out that badly and bites you, put him back in his tank and he'll learn that biting is a 'no no'. Also, if you must use a glove to handle him, put one of the gloves in his tank so that he gets used to the smell of it. Also remember that it takes a good week for them to get used to their new surroundings. It's better to handle him inside his tank while he's going through this adjustment period

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Tasty Treat used to bite me.

does he nip your fingers and then just stare at you? if so, then he knows full well what he is doing and is 'warning' you.
if she tried to eat something (like a wire) or didn't want to be handled she would nip my fingers and glare at me when i tried to pick her up.

you will need to upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder soon (i found one for free on craigslist).

don't act scared to put your hands by him, he will get used to the idea that biting = getting what he wants. at that age it can't hurt more than a pinch and he should outgrow it with constant handling.

also, i noticed that if i wore nail polish that matched the color of anything she ate she will aggressively go after my fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom