Beardie scratching glass for no reason??

Status
Not open for further replies.

toucan1234

So my beardie is around 4-5 months old and i have been working his tameness up slowly because he is usually pretty crazy. Lately he has been such a good boy and i let him explore my bathroom on his own. today though he has been scratching his glass alot and i thought maybe he wanted to get out and explore some more but when i went to pick him up he was hopping out of my hand and then freaking out. I tried giving him a drink and giving him extra salad but he still scratched the glass and freaked out when i tried to get him. Does anybody know why he would do this? Also there was a big thunderstorm last night and i was thinking maybe he was spooked from that and is still a little spazzy... or does he just want more crickets? Are there any tips to help tame him? Sorry for the giant rambling paragraph but im worried Taz and i are back to square 1!! okay thanks in advance :D !

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
hi :)
you arent rambling, youre all good!!!

dragons seem to do this for lots of different reasons, and every dragon is different so its so hard to tell ...
i can give you my personal expirience with glass dancing though ...
when Blue was that age, she did it out of "give me more more more more food" ...
now, at 1 year old, BlueBelle, she will only scratch at the plexi-glass when she REALLY has to poop :shock:
homegirl wil not poop in her viv, only in the bath. she goes crazy if she really has to go, and will come up to the doors and go insane.
alot of people call it the poop dance, or at least i do ha! its not often she does it b/c she gets a bath every day or every other day, but if it hits her she will try to get out like a mad woman.

Taz is DEF at that age where he may be going through "dragon puberty" ... they just go nuts. an its summer, which is breeding time, so they can be really juiced up and act crazy. especially at that age. he could want to get out and get his groove on ... teehee.
I remember BlueBelle at that age, she was a nutcase ... super active and jumpy and running and just cukoo ... cukoo.

he may be hungry, like i was saying i know Blue did this when she was younger. her appetite at that age was massive. now she just lays around and knows i will be at her beck and call with food. diva!

it could totally be the thunder storm too, its good that you were able to put two and two together on that b/c alot of people would overlook that, he could be a dragon that is flipped out by loud noises. some are super sensitive to noise, and some dont mind at all.
its frustrating isnt it???
ha, its like TELL ME, talk to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
i would try more crickets, if that is what you are feeding him. let him chow the heck out until he walks away from them or shows no interest at all. Taz is a growing boy, maybe going through puberty too, so see if that works, it might just be it :)
Juvies are crazy little things, and they hit those marks in life where the hormones and the growing and everything mixed together can make them act like a skitzo.

is your set-up correct?
what is your set-up like, b/c thats SO important to behavior ...
size, lights, temps ... i you have the time hit us back with a reply on the viv set-up :) :) and if you have a pic, that would be awesome too!
that would be awesome to know!
~Em

toucan1234

Original Poster
Thanks for replying!! I think it might have been the storm because today Taz is so mellow!! Thanks for all the glass dancing tips :D they will really help in the future

Majora

I had a hard time figuring out why Majora was glass dancing at first. Now it's always one of two things -

He has to poop. He'll only poop in the tub and hates to poop in his tank, so he glass dances around 1 or 2pm every day to come out and take a poop. If I'm not home he can usually hold it til later on, but then he's frantic to come out when I walk in the door.

If it's not poop time, he glass dances when he wants to come out and sit in front of his penguin picture. His tank is on my desk, and I have this picture of me and my boyfriend at Mystic Aquarium, and it's got penguins on it. Every day when I take him out and put him down on the desk he waddles over and plops himself in front of the picture. Sometimes he'll try and lick the penguins for a few minutes, sometimes he'll scratch at them, and sometimes he'll just sit there and stare at it. After about a half hour of this he walks back over to his tank and scratches to be put back in. He's kind of a weirdo.

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
Hey I know you have kind of wrapped up here but my lil Rigz is doing the same thing, I'm not exactly sure his age (I got him from the pet store and they didn't know age) defiantly a baby tho, and he is always trying to jump onto things outside of the cage so I finally put up some paper just today we will see if that helps, but for the last week or so he has been glass dancing non stop and whenever I go in there he is more skid-ish than normal. He will just hop out of my hand and squirm all crazy to where I don't want to pick him up he seems so stressed. Sorry I am beginging to ramble I'm just a concerned noobie haha. Also last couple days he has been frantically rubbing his head on stuff, what does this mean? He shed like a week ago so I don't think that is it but I understand they shed often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom