Head bobbing and black beard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjrosin

We're new owners of a 15 month old male beardie. He's hanging out under his red basking light and just went through a series of head-bobbing and puffing his beard out, and it got black. I know they do these things, but I don't know what they mean. He's the only animal in the tank, seems to be doing well.

wjrosin

Original Poster
The reason we have the red light in is that the CHE that he came with doesn't seem to be putting out enough heat - 90 degrees F maximum in his basking area, but his basking light broke on the transport and the most we had was a 75w bulb. There are new lights that should be arriving today, 150w basking spot, Reptiglo 10.0 UVB compact flourescent, which should then work together with the CHE to get the temp up, right? We're still trying to figure all of this out - I'll be putting in a 36" T8 fixture as well so that he can have UVB exposure in more of the tank. The red light won't be there for long.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
I never had an issue with compacts but some people might say get the Reptisun 10.0 tube not the compact.
And that's good the red bulb will be gone.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i use the ceramic heat emitter, it can be left on at night without putting out any light.

does he only puff out when you walk by? is he always looking at something in particular?

it might be the fact that he is in a new place and is trying to make everyone know he is the boss.

wjrosin

Original Poster
He's only puffed out once in the week we've had him - that we've seen anyway. Daytime basking came today, so I put the CHE back in for him. He seems to be a bit more active with the red light gone, plus he looks better. He hasn't pooped in several days - hoping for a BM soon! I spent several hours today working on a new "custom" top to the tank - the previous owner only had some hardware cloth bent around the edges and it was a pain to get in and out of. I used 1x2" to frame the tank, which was a pain because the front is curved glass, and split the lid so that we can easily access the entire tank when we need to. It also worked well to mount two 18" T8 fluorescent fixtures to the frame - so now I'm ordering two 18" 10.0 UVB bulbs to cover the entire tank. Should work slick, I know it's a lot easier to get in the top now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom