How long does it take to tame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

verena

Hi everyone,
I am a first time ever bearded dragon parent. I have had dogs and cats all my life, never lizards...but I am in love with my bd and I can't wait for her to love me back! :wink: I've had my bd for about 3 weeks. She is 6 - 7 inches long (hard to measure a baby dragon). I don't know how old she is, but she had her first shed..my baby is growing :D
Anyway, back to my question: when will she get used to me and not run away when I try to hold her? She lets me put my hand in the tank and she takes food from my hand, but when I try to hold her she backs away and runs. I pick her up anyway and I keep her in my hand. Sometimes I put her on my chest or I let her run around the bed (supervised of course), so she can get used to my scent. I have also bathed her every day. She does not open her mouth or puff up, or try to bite me, yet. :) I've tried the burrito but she scrambles out of it. I am afraid to wrap her too tight..
Is there anything else I should do? Am I doing something wrong? How long before she is comfortable with me?
Please help :!:
Verena

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Unfortunatly there is no answer for this question.
Every dragon is different.

Dex, a feral adult, went from biting scratching and hissing at me to bearding at me if i had the audacity to put her back in her viv when she was enjoying cuddling with me within 3 months.
Ruben, a three month juvie, after two months work tolerated me happily, now on month 3 he is starting to show signs of bonding with me, but only when HE wants to.
Miso, my first ever baby is on week 4 at home with me and she is very confident and happy to be held but she does run EVERYWHERE.
Babies and young juvies are very skittish and excitable and it does take a long while before they mature and start to enjoy sitting stil!
Until you have an older dragon it is unlikely that she is going to sit still for long ^_^
Babies dont always run because they are scared, they generally run for the joy of exploring!

i wouldnt worry about the burrito not working yet either. Most babies are FAR to wriggly to stay put in one of those. Burritos will more likely to calm your girl down when she gets to at least 3 months old when they lose some of the skittishness.

You sound like you are making great efforts to bond with her and I applaud you for that.
The fact that she will eat from your hand is a great sign so high-five for that.

The only further bit of advice I can think to give you is in regards to picking her up is to make sure that you take everything really slowly.
Never approach her from the side, behind or above as this is predatory behaviour. You also never want to grab at your dragon if they start to scurry away.
Lower your hand slowly into the viv and lay it flat onthe floor infront of her for a few seconds. Then you can slide it underneath her to pick her up.
Ive found this way results in the calmest dragons.

All the best
Holly

Oh did I mention we REALLY like pictures here? :D

verena

Original Poster
Thanks soooo much for your advice! I feel better now knowing that things are going the normal way...I love this forum and always get great advice really quickly.. I will post pictures as soon as possible..Verena

Barrettxx

I have the same problem kinda haha,
to afraid to let her out though as I don't want her to run away and not let me pick her back up to put away, I put her in my hand in the tank only..
question though, for Ethelia or anyone else that would know.. you said put your hand down slowly to him, if they stick their tounge out at your finger, what are they going to do? lol Bite you or just taste you? :S My girl does it but I always pull away as I really wouldnt want to get bit lol (i know im soft right haha)

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
A tounge out means they are going to taste you. They do sense things through their tongue.
Some do it out of curiosity and some do it constantly!
When i put my hand down for Ruben after 3 months together he still always gives me a lick.

You must be very careful not to flinch of jerk your hand away. You will seriously spook your dragon and will make the process much much harder.
Ive been bitten by babies and adults, and neither hurt. A baby bit is nothing but funny tbh.
Be brave and be patient.

Holly

LJean

Extreme Poster
Oh the joys of trying to bond with your beardie. Oscar was easy. He is easy going, but would rather run around than snuggle. Calypso is a different story. When I put my hand in the enclosure laying it flat and going slowly, she bites it, LOL She is a meanie.

Just keep trying. Your beardie will come around. One thing I do is sit in the bathroom with them. Let them run around in there, with the door closed. This way they get used to you being close to them, but can't run off somewhere and hide. You could always try sitting in the tub too. Having a wormy treat in your hand helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom