Boredom? Stress? Sign of aggression? Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idkman

After feeding my beardie, Rex her meal she’s been running up and down, climbing everything, glass surfing, and trying to climb the roof of her tank too. This isn’t the first time that she’s done this. She doesn’t do this for long but she just goes crazy and I’m just surprised that she hasn’t broken her tail or burned herself yet. I usually end up taking her out of her tank for a few minutes and then putting her back and feeding her a bit more to finally end her crazyness. She also looks around everywhere like she’s on drugs and just saw a ghost. I don’t know if she’s scared or anything and if she is I have no idea what she’d be scared of besides me. I have noticed that her breathing has been picking up when she sees me. I’ve had her for 5 years tho so i don’t know how she’d just start seeing me as a threat unless maybe the stress from her getting sick not too long ago made her not like me anymore. I hand feed her so sometimes when I try to give her some food she’ll just open her mouth and not do anything. She won’t puff up or darken her beard and I don’t think it’s because she’s getting hot. Sometimes she does it outside her tank so I’m a bit confused. Now my second beardie, max is a very skittish and sensitive big chonky boy. I can’t blame him because when i got him he was very scared a super aggressive. Now five years later he’s no longer trying to bite my fingers off (unless I try to wake him up but again I can’t blame him) and he seemed cool with me. Emphasis on seemed. He also got sick with parasites not too long ago so I had to do a lot of cleaning, handling, and baths. All that made me realize that I ended up doing a terrible job with properly bonding with him. He gets stressed when I pet him and closes his eyes sometimes when I try to pick him up. He now doesn’t have parasites. Yet he still glass surfs and I feel so bad for him. His stress marks won’t go away as Rex’s marks are finally starting to fade. I’ve been trying to bond with him again but I don’t want to stress him out even more. Especially since he just had parasites and stress can cause the immune system to be unable to fight stuff like that off. I’ve got no idea how to help them both.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What size is the tank ? What are you using for a UVB? Basking temps and how are you taking them?

Idkman

Original Poster
They have 40 gallon tanks, I forgot What I was using for uvb but i believe that it is a compact Florescent light, basking temps are a bit over 100 degrees and I forget what type of thermometer I used but I’ll go check.

Idkman

Original Poster
Oh- wow I can’t believe I’ve been giving them no uvb. Thank you so so much for that info it’s really appreciated. I’ll go to petco when I can so hopefully they have some of those.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Most do not carry the size I have recommended but you can look ---- if anything they will carry the Reptisun fixture but its only going to be a T 8 which would be a shorter fixture you want the longer fixture I posted - so do this ASAP--- you can get her out into some direct sun / partial shade in a plastic tote NO GLASS make sure you supervise so she doesnt get too hot --- you dont want to burn her up - 15 min each day or longer depending on how hot it is where you are --- you can do it several time a day if you want till you get the new UVB -- please post back on here so I can help you place it -

Idkman

Original Poster
Okay thank you. I was wondering what the difference between T 8 and T5 besides the fact that one was cheaper. I looked up the exact reptisun light that you had suggested on the Petcco website and it says that it’s cheaper if I buy it in person so It seems that they have it. Alright I’ll be putting them in the sun and definitely gonna Post back when I get the lights. Again, I can’t thank you enough for pointing out that huge mistake I’ve been making and helping me fix it. Hopefully my 2 lil *****s will be feeling a bit more like themselves.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's the strength of the bulb that is different and the expiration time T 8 need to be changed out in 6 months I recommend 5 T 5 a year I recommend a month prior to-- also distance and placement is different

SED0103

Please get rid of the coil UVB --- they are inadequate for any tanks --- especially for a 40 gallon tank - your dragon is not getting any UVB --- please replace w/ a long tube fixture -- 24" like these
Pangea Reptile | Supplies | Gecko Food | Lighting | & More 24"
Arcadia 12% UVB T5 HO 22"
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...prefix=24"+zoo+med+uvb+fixture,aps,203&sr=8-1
When you get the fixture please post back on here and I will help you get it set up in the tank - they have certain distances and placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom