Super Active

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
So Venus, my female beardie has always been quite the active one but it's getting to the point where it's pretty annoying.

She's glass surfing, head bobbing, occasionally arm waving, and just running around a lot.
At first I figured it was because my male, Saturn would occasionally be up rather than tucked away in his hide. And when he was up he was displaying mating signs, which she would always react back with arm waving and a slow sort of head bob.
(They never came in contact with each other, they could only see each other)
That went on for about a week before he went back to burmating, and then for the past three weeks she's just been super active and it's getting quite annoying.

I've tried blocking her view of everyone thinking that would solve it but it's seems to not have worked that well.
With the blankets not covering the glass she can see my BTS, two of my beardies and possibly my tegu, I would say she can see my leopard gecko but she only comes out once the lights are off because of her sensitive eyes.

I even thought it may be eggs so I prepared a lay box for her and left it in there for about a week and a half but she showed no interest in it. She's also not digging at all just running around, head bobbing and generally being a bit too active for my liking.

Any idea what I can do to get her to stop, or at least calm down just a tiny bit.
I already let her out twice a day for about 30 minutes to an hour as she refuses to go in her enclosure so she has quite a bit of outside the tank time.

A somewhat short video of what she's pretty much doing right now. And as I type this she's at it again and trying to climb up the glass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IULndT_CU0

Also reason why her tank is a bit of a mess and doesn't have paper towels is I was in the process of cleaning everything and didnt get to put some paper towels down again yet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That just looks like she's restless from hormones. Darwin has been doing the same thing. He even surfs on the walls of the house when he's out and trashes his tank when he has to go back in (After 6+hrs out). Really isn't much to do in this case other than let her run around and burn off steam. The exercise will be good for her anyway =). Things should settle down after a while.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hopefully she'll settle down soon, Saturn came out today and made matters much, much worse. She was running around even more than before and when I woke up earlier today she was stomping her front foot and head bobbing on her log. Even had a black beard going on.

I let her out a few minutes ago and she took off and ran behind Neptunes tank and then tried to get behind the feeder bins. Which is honestly unusual for her as she has little to no interest in that corner of the room unless she sees Saturn out.

89510-6606725156.jpg

She's head bobbing and black bearding right now currently in her viv.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can't imagine how nuts they go when they can see eachother. Having just one is a handful! :lol:

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Im honestly sure she may end up hurting herself soon, a few minutes ago she was on her log and then began trying to climb onto the screen top above her. She got so far from her log that she couldn't come down safely back onto it and fell to the bottom of her enclosure, luckily landing on her feet rather than her back but she's starting to get me quite concerned.
She's pretty much being reckless right now, falling from her log multiple times, getting on her hammock and then going to the very edge multiple times and rubbing against the glass making it flip her over basically and falling down to the bottom of her enclosure.

She pretty much also follows Saturn around, I got him out to drip some water on his nose and she basically darted over to that side of her enclosure where he was sitting and just stared up at us.
I also had Neptune out a few hours before this and Venus pretty much ignored her.
89510-7379220123.jpg
89510-3400708181.jpg
89510-936375284.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They're pretty tough but if you are concerned you might want to rearrange the furniture to a safer configuration for now and maybe pad the floor with a fleece blanket or towel. Darwin is still awake at the moment (11:40pm) making it almost an 18hr day for him so far. :roll:

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I took out the basking log she had, she still has her hammock and concrete hide though for basking.
I did notice that once I took that out she immediately went into her hide and began digging around for a bit before sleeping and that was around 4 PM.
All my beardies are currently asleep I believe, Saturn may be up still. Its 12:16 AM right now, and the lights went off about an hour ago.

Targ

So I am also having the same issue! My 4 year old female Merlin is going crazy the last several days. I have only had her for a month or so, and she has been mega chill. But these last few days she has been a complete RUCKUS to get out of her viv and roam around. My apartment is so small, and it's generally hard to dragon proof. I don't mind letting her out a bit but yesterday she spent the ENTIRE day out of the viv roaming.

The big issue comes with when she pooped on my floor. Carpet. I had to do some unwanted deep cleaning first thing the other morning.

Anyway, hoping she settles down soon. Not sure if I should out wait her or just let our of what. Sheesh!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do what you can to give her space to roam around safely. Some carpet cleaner and a damp rag should do a pretty good job of getting it out of the carpet. If you have an area of linoleum you might be able to train her by putting her there at around the same time every day and keeping her there (within reason) until she goes. Maybe as part of a breakfast routine. Accidents happen though, even with training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom