Not sure what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StakandMe

Last night I picked up a Beardie that the previous owner can no longer care for he is 3 years old and won't ear an of the fruit or veg I have he ate one cricket this morning and keeps trying to eat the house flies. He has a terrible temper and snapped at my little sister when she tried to handle him. I have put his all down to stress but how can I make him more comfortable? Thank you!

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Did his previous owner get him as a baby or has he had many owners in the past? What did his previous owner feed him?

What size tank and what kind of top do you have?
What do you use for substrate?
What kind of UVB lighting do you use, coil or tube?
Is it mounted inside the tank or on top of a mesh screen?
If mounted inside do you have a reflector and how long?
What kind of basking light do you use?
How close can he get to his lights (4", 6", 8", etc.)?
Temperature of basking spot, cool side and ambient warm side?
What do you use to measure the temperature?
Do you have a Hydro meter to check his humidity, if so what is the humidity range?
Does he have a spot in his tank to hide and a way to climb?
What size are the crickets?
What kind of vegetables are you offering?
Are you using any vitamins, if so which ones and include the brand?
Do you know how much he weighs, if not you can get a cheap kitchen scale for most stores such as Walmart. It is best to weigh in grams, grams is more accurate and a find compare to ounces and pounds.
Can you get in contact with the previous owner?

I am far from being an expert, but I saw your post and thought I would ask questions more experience people may want to know from the beginning. Please take pictures of his enclosure and of him, you can post using this link: https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

From the little bit I do know, it may be the change in environment, 2 to 3 years with one owner is a while and being switched could be very stressful. If he is stressed it may be best to not handle him for a few days, only handle him when necessary. I have some links in some of my previous posts that I found to be very useful, I will find them and post them for you to refer to.

StakandMe

Original Poster
Thank you very much but all his humidity levels and stuff are normal he is in the same tank as he was in with his previous owner they have had him for two years. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to help him feel better as I've discovered is shedding too!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I agree with JLynn, the dragon is in a totally strange environment and although some are calm most anywhere, his previous owners may not have even handled him very much. So just give him time to settle in, lack of appetite + moodiness are common when a beardie is relocated.

Akire

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new beardie!

It's important to remember that your bearded dragons world was just turned upside down. He is somewhere unfamiliar with people he doesn't know. That is scary! Which is why it's highly recommended that you not try to hold new animals and let them settle in for a few days. Keep activity around him to a minimum. I wouldn't be too worried about his lack of appetite right now, since you just got him. Give it a few days, if he still isn't eating much then we will need to go into more detail about his set-up.

His previous owners could of had a bad set-up, the fact they had him for two years doesn't mean much to be honest. Bearded dragons are tough lizards and can survive in really poor conditions. I realize it can be an inconvenience to answer a bunch of questions, but it really is in your beardies best interest. We can't help you all that well unless we get details about his set-up and care. Those are two things that can greatly impact a beardies attitude and appetite.

Just something to keep in mind. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom