My beardie sleeps funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubstepkd97

Is this normal that he sleeps like this just seems uncomfortable is all, I'm new to these guys, I took him home from a friend cause there family was neglecting him so I've been giving him love but I just wanna make sure this is normal, he sleeps on the corner of his water bowl, he's not sleeping in it just laying half on and half off with his claws in the water
90436-6781857828.jpg

Mumble

Quite normal we have 4 in the house now and they all have weird sleeping positions including one who pretty much hugs and clings to a branch in his tank when he sleeps and doesn't fall despite being the biggest one we have.
The one in the pictures is gizmo and the second picture is now her normal sleeping position even though it looks uncomfortable .
90746-1935991906.jpg
90746-9466342218.jpg

B4hand

89734-7003923049.jpg

What about this? He sleeps like this occasionally and like she said, it just seems very uncormfortable... ? And the pic is sideways, sorry, he's basically standing up straight against the glass.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They definitely fall asleep in odd positions. It's nothing to worry about. Check this thread out for some more examples https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=141955

I also suggest turning off the red light and removing it. The visible light may disrupt his sleep. If the temperatures in his tank stay above about 65 overnight you don't need any additional heat. If the temperatures drop below that (perhaps seasonally) I suggest using a ceramic heat emitter or a megaray heat projector to bump the temps slightly. You don't need much. I keep my tank between about 70-75 overnight in winter and don't use supplemental heating in the summer when the house stays warmer overnight.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Dubstepkd97":21m5l36m said:
Is this normal that he sleeps like this just seems uncomfortable is all, I'm new to these guys, I took him home from a friend cause there family was neglecting him so I've been giving him love but I just wanna make sure this is normal, he sleeps on the corner of his water bowl, he's not sleeping in it just laying half on and half off with his claws in the water
90436-6781857828.jpg

Only problems I can see are :

>>> a water dish with water in it, I recommend removing it , none of my beardies have had a water dish in their tubs or tanks and they are doing fine (never show any signs dehydration), they all get like bugs every day, and greens too, and the occasion bit of sweet fruit.
You guy could accidential have his head droop into the water while he's asleep and the risk is his drowning or inhaling water which would result in a nasty RI.

>>> red night light - totally unnecessary , I suppose it's actually a heat globe of some kind. If it's cool enough in his tank overnight to require overnight tank heating I suggest either
-- a heatpad (under some tiles / sandwiched between some tiles) under his hide and controlled by a switching thermostat
and/or
-- a ceramic heat emitter mounted above his sleeping hide or where he regular chooses to sleep, again controlled by a switching thermostat.

MisterD83

Sleeping in odd positions is very normal. Dragon, has slept in positions that I ask my fiance how does she (the breardie) not get a stiff back!

As for what the others mention about the red light and the water bowl, as off topic as it is;
Beardies have a light sensor, almost a 3rd eye, on top of their head. Its used to sense shadows of "predators" coming for them. That's why when you're picking your baby up, its best to scoop from in front and underneath. I believe that sensor along with their eyes being near the same visible spectrum our eyes are, makes it very hard for a beardie to sleep with red lights on. Yes, I know many chain store care sheets say to use them, they are just trying to sell you an extra $3 to $5 bulb. If your temperatures are getting lower than about 70 degrees at night, you can do what I do. Place a big, for the enclosure, block under his basking light. and keep the temperature near the high range of the basking temperature when the light is on. That block will soak up what ever heat the dragon doesn't take, much like charging a battery with an alternator of a car. then when the light is off and the enclosure starts to cool, as the rock starts to become warmer than the surrounding air it will radiate the heat off to the area.

As for the water:
From my observations, bearded dragons do not understand the concept of standing water. All it will likely do is raise the humidity, which if it gets too high can cause a respiratory infection. Instead, bearded dragons get their water from the insects and greens they eat. Instead of a bowl of water, I'd keep it as a bowl of collard or mustard greens. Though I will warn you, looking at the size, and guesstimating the age, I doubt the beardie will eat much greens, but the insects will eat them too, gut loading calcium before being eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom