My baby beardie hates me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be over exaggerating but I'm pretty sure my little buddy (Haku) hates me. I live really close to a reptile "shop" (or pet store) and I've been in and out of this place for years researching and longing for my very own beardie. Long story short I got a job and my mom finally let me get one. I've got the setup down and do use the same substrate they used at the reptile place. The first couple of days he ate. Yesterday and today he refuses! Nothing works not even the can o crickets ! The owner of 20+ years of experience finds it odd that he won't eat so he gave me these small white worms he feeds all the babies at his shop. I lightly dusted them with calcium and still nothing , his poop seems fine he usually goes once a day but I figured maybe he could be impacted so I gave him a little bit of organic prunes. And he flinched when I touched his nose! I give him water this way and this is the first time he flinched. So I decided to give him space and mist him Instead. After that I reached my hand in and he flinched again. What am I doing wrong? Could he be moody because his UvB/ UVa lamp broke ? So all he has now until my package comes is his basking lamp. (It should come tomorrow I've only had him for a week and I broke it on Tuesday) please give me advice all I want is to give him a happy life! P.S he still runs around and jumps on his logs and his basking area ao what's the matter :(

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
How old is he?

It could just be relocation stress, they need an adjustment time. You could start by just putting your hand in the enclosure to allow him to get used to you and see if he'll jump on it. He might be intimidated by the "five headed monster" as King Nobby calls it :p

The white worms, are they phoenix or caligents? If so you don't need to dust them with calcium as they are high enough on their own.

If he doesn't have uvb he's not going to properly digest his food, so can you take him out in the sun? See if that helps out?

GalaxySiren

Original Poster
He is two months! He we one of the smallest ones of the bunch but I couldn't resist his bright yellow color! He's so tiny I'm scared to take him out side (horrible running children x100) I'm just worried I don't know what normal behavior is and I think they are Phoenix worms! He likes Dubia roaches and I plan on getting him some tomorrow. I wake up every three house to check on him (I work graveyard shift ) I'm very worried this is my first real pet of my own and some lady scared me on YouTube saying babies die really easy D;

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
So first things first:
What is your enclosure setup like? Lights, size, substrate, temps etc

There could be some equipment issues that would be easy to fix.

It could be stress related to a new home and new people, that's normal. I recommend going through the care guide https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/ and the Newbie guides to get some basic information.

There are a ton of really experienced people who are quite helpful on this forum, so you're in the right place.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Also you should check out Shiro's great adventures. Tengu1 just picked up a baby dragon and he has some similar experiences that you may find useful.

GalaxySiren

Original Poster
He's got a 40 gallon tank the warm side is 100 and the cool side is about 80 at night with the purple bulb it drops down to 90. I use reptisand same as the reptile store as a substrate, he seems to like to run around and play? Bidding and jumping off stuff is that normal?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I'd ditch the sand, they can eat it and it causes what's called impaction which can be deadly. Replace it with either ceramic tile, newspaper, drawer liner, or something easy to clean.

The basking spot should be a little hotter for babies at around 105-110, your cool side is fine.

This purple light, if it's a night light then I'd ditch it. They need darkness and can actually see the light which can put them off. They can get down to 70-80 at night usually and be fine.

Running around and playing is normal.

What do you have for UVB? Coil bulbs can cause eye problems and the T5 or T8 bulbs shouldn't be blocked by screen or glass or they can't get enough UVB to digest their food.

The Phoenix worms should be small and easily digestible but they're going to be expensive. Babies need to eat a ton of protein, you might need to switch to tiny crickets, about the size of the space between his eyes. Those you can gut load or dust with calcium 2-3 times a week. You don't need to dust with phoenix worms. I'd also offer some greens but don't expect them to be eaten all the time, they need more protein at this stage.

This is a good site to check out:
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-diet.php

GalaxySiren

Original Poster
I had a coil bulb and I recently broke it! No idea how it just cracked, and as for the crickets they're a no go recently a whole bunch of them for out in my house and my mom was pissed off. He still hasn't eaten today or pooped I do have carpet that I got just in case I'll put that in asap

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
He needs UVB asap, he won't be healthy without it. This is probably why he's not eating and is potentially not feeling great.

I would highly recommend getting the Reptisun 10.0 fluorescent bulb, you need the 10 for desert animals like the beardie. It needs to be mounted inside the tank if possible 6-8 inches from his basking spot for him to get the proper uvb exposure.

You can get a cheap fluorescent light fixture from walmart or home depot and pop the Reptisun in there. It can be hung with command hooks.

Stay away from mealworms or superworms. They have a tough to digest exoskeleton for babies and are too big. Phoenix worms are great for the guys but they'll eat a lot. You'll want to feed him two times a day. give him as many worms as he'll eat for about 10-15 minutes. I would do this once in the morning and then once in the afternoon, he needs at least 2 hours of UVB exposure to be able to digest his food.

GalaxySiren

Original Poster
My boyfriend ordered a uvb/uva/basking bulb on Amazon it has great reviews and it should be here tomorrow waiting isn't the best option but with the space I have 3 in one is the best option right now I hope he can wait one more day

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Can you post the uvb info when you get it? if it's a coil it can cause eye problems and still not give enough uvb to keep your little guy healthy.

A picture of your tank can help out too in giving advice.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are worried about your baby. It can certainly be stressful when they aren't eating due to all the changes in their environment. Sometimes the setup needs a little twinking too so that it is perfect for them.

You have already been given some great info. Unfortunately, sometimes the petstore employees don't know what really is best for beardies. They have an assortment of critters there and they don't seem to know a lot about each particular one.

I noticed that you said the "warm side is 100." It sounds like you have either a digital strip or round gauge (dial) thermometer stuck to the glass. Unfortunately, those stickons are very inaccurate. The most important temps for you to know are the basking SURFACE temp and the temp on the bottom of the cool side during the day. The only 2 ways you can find out those readings are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end. Amazon has both of them for a reasonable price and if you need links, let us know and we can help you out with that.

Could you fill us in on the wattage of the basking bulb(s) you're using now and is it a white or colored bulb?

Please read all the caresheets as SpacialCoogs suggested. To help you with posting pics, follow this link: https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ And then post the XIMG link here.

GalaxySiren

Original Poster
Well for the basking bulb I'm not too sure on the wattage but his night time bulb is about 75 watts and he seems to sleep when I turn it on. I plan on taking out the substrate and using carpet because he licks it, he licks everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom