Hiding under his rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! So my 8 month is acting very weird! He keeps hiding under his rock and I don't know why. He didn't come out until I put food in his cage and after he ate he went back under for 2 hours until I took him out. His cage is only at 85-95 so I can't imagine he would be trying to hide from the heat. He's never done this and me being me, I'm freaking out! Can someone tell me what this is please? I'm scared!!
Thanks.

quincysmama

Original Poster
Let me add, that after I took him out and put him back in he hasn't gone under again...yet. He's eating fine, but he may have had a few dead crickets mixed in with his dinner. I don't think the crickets would do anything, right?

kmc4392

Hatchling Member
This is a stretch, but your boy might be starting to Brumate. Dalia, my girl, is showing similar characteristics and I was told she might be starting to brumate. Only difference between your guy and my girl is that Dalia is probably around a year old and lately she's just been sleeping in her cave. She won't come out for food or water unless I take her out, but since I've been told she might be brumating I've backed off and just let her sleep for as long as she wants.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Quincy, what type of thermometer are you using and where exactly are you getting the 85 to 95 readings? Also, what brand & type of UVB do you have & what is the distance of it when he is in his basking spot?

It's not good that he eats & then goes back into the cave as it is preventing him from digesting his food. Seems like there is something about the basking area that is not to his liking.

What is the wattage of his basking bulb(s) and what size is the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom