Too Long of a Day Cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onoaspy

Hi there everyone.

I'm ridiculously new to not only this forum but also owning a beardie.

I've got a bit of a problem I think, to be honest.

I think I leave my beardie's lights on for too long during the day. They go on at 8am and go off at midnight. Which is a long time, I know. Not really a normal day cycle but the issue is that I work during the day and evening so to be able to feed him at least twice a day he needs to be warm enough to eat before I leave and still awake when I get home from work around 10pm (hence midnight for lights off for two hours to digest)

He's about 6 - 8 months old.

I just moved him to a 75 gallon tank
I've got a clear halogen basking bulb
a Powersun Mercury Vapor Bulb at if I remember right 100w
And a spot lamp for the cool side because it was hovering at about 70. That one is a Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp at 75w until I can figure out something else.

He's got two logs to hang out on, one of the hot side (90 to 95 degrees) where the basking is about 105-110 degrees and one on the cool side (About 80 degrees). He's got two slate rocks in the hot side and a hammock.
His food and water dishes are in the center of the tank.
He's also got a hide that I made him recently.

So the main thing is this. I've been taking him out in the evenings so he can run around his room and get used to the area he sees every day and what he's been doing is running and wedging himself behind or under or beside something and going to sleep. I think this means his "day" is too long and he's not getting enough sleep time maybe?

I'm not sure how I can resolve the feeding issue for him though if I change the lighting schedule. I could just do greens in the morning before I go to work (so he has it during the day) and then feed live after I get home? That way if his lights go on at about 11am, I can leave them on until 11pm or 11:30pm?

Please help I want him to be healthy and happy.

onceblue

Hatchling Member
It probably is too long a day for him. Everything I've read suggests 12-14 hours, with 14 being the max. I personally do 14 hours on most days, but if I take my beardie out at the 13th hour he's ready to snuggle in on me and go to sleep. I have kind of a rough work schedule, too, but luckily i can just about squeeze everything in as long as I don't have to stay late at work. If I have to stay late at work, then I usually have to forgo handling to let my beardie digest dinner for the recommended 2 hours before lights out. So I definitely understand that it's hard to fit everything in.

Your beardie is getting older, though, so you'll be at once a day protein feedings fairly soon, and then you can transition his schedule accordingly.

I do have a suggestion for what you can do in the meanwhile, though, if you want to maximize your time with him in the evenings. Unlike crickets, you can actually leave phoenix/reptiworms in the viv without having to worry about them biting or crawling on your beardie and stressing him out. All you need is a glass dish. I use one and they can't climb the sides and escape, and the dish is flat enough that it doesn't cause an access problem for my beardie. If my beardie is slow to wake on a morning, I'll leave the worms (phoenix, because for some reason he snubs the reptiworms even though they're the same kind of worm) out for him so he can eat them once he's warmed up and ready. If I do this, I come home to eaten worms.

So maybe try ordering some of those, put them in his viv along with fresh veggies in the morning, have his lights come on at 11 or 12, and then you can do his second feeding when you are at home.

Onoaspy

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the reply. :)

I'm going to give this new cycle a try. His lights are going to go on at 11am instead of 8am and I'll put his greens and some superworms in there. I've only got access to the superworms right now as nowhere locally sells the phoenix worms but as far as I've heard superworms are okay as a staple and he seems okay with them digestion wise as far as I can tell so far.

His lights will go off at about 11:30 which will give me time to get home and feed him before lights out. I may push lights out to midnight but I'm going to give him a few days to get used to the routine before I switch it up again. I've got to get my timer situation figured out anyway.

I shouldn't have any more problems with any luck :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Onoaspy":31pjnq9m said:
Hi there everyone.

I'm ridiculously new to not only this forum but also owning a beardie.

I've got a bit of a problem I think, to be honest.

I think I leave my beardie's lights on for too long during the day. They go on at 8am and go off at midnight. Which is a long time, I know. Not really a normal day cycle but the issue is that I work during the day and evening so to be able to feed him at least twice a day he needs to be warm enough to eat before I leave and still awake when I get home from work around 10pm (hence midnight for lights off for two hours to digest)

He's about 6 - 8 months old.

I just moved him to a 75 gallon tank
I've got a clear halogen basking bulb
a Powersun Mercury Vapor Bulb at if I remember right 100w
And a spot lamp for the cool side because it was hovering at about 70. That one is a Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp at 75w until I can figure out something else.

He's got two logs to hang out on, one of the hot side (90 to 95 degrees) where the basking is about 105-110 degrees and one on the cool side (About 80 degrees). He's got two slate rocks in the hot side and a hammock.
His food and water dishes are in the center of the tank.
He's also got a hide that I made him recently.

So the main thing is this. I've been taking him out in the evenings so he can run around his room and get used to the area he sees every day and what he's been doing is running and wedging himself behind or under or beside something and going to sleep. I think this means his "day" is too long and he's not getting enough sleep time maybe?

I'm not sure how I can resolve the feeding issue for him though if I change the lighting schedule. I could just do greens in the morning before I go to work (so he has it during the day) and then feed live after I get home? That way if his lights go on at about 11am, I can leave them on until 11pm or 11:30pm?

Please help I want him to be healthy and happy.

My lights are timed to turn on at 6am , off at 9:30pm most the year, will increase to on at 5am and off about 10pm in summer. Puff will often still be awake and watch TV from his enclosure past midnight and will do this for a few nights and crash really early for a few nights afterwards.

I would reduce the basking spot temp to about 100- 105oF .

Quite normal to trot about for a while and then find a cosy spot for a nap and crash there.

Onoaspy

Original Poster
Thank you.

Sorry for the extremely delayed reply on this but things got busy for a little while for me!

I adjusted his times to be 11am lights on and 12:30pm lights off. Its still a bit late I think to have them go off but it was the best reasonable times I think I can manage and still get him fed with my current schedule.

I ended up buying superworms and a dish that they can't climb out of but he really doesn't like the supers. I'm not sure if its because they wiggle strangely or what but he refuses to eat them at all. The dubias can climb out of the bowl I bought so I can't leave them for him to eat in the mornings and crickets seem to figure out they can jump eventually and get out of the bowl that way.

At any rate that really isn't the point. I've shortened his day cycle quite a bit and I'll get his food situation figured out relatively quickly. Another new bowl should solve everything, perhaps something glass that the dubia cant' climb.

Thanks for all the advice, really I do appreciate it! I love this forum and all the helpful people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom