Finally outta the baby viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazdamundi's having a ball exploring his big boy Viv now that it's finally done.

He's not allowed downstairs till the hammocks arrive, but Maz seems pretty happy exploring the top for now.

110721-1639555567.jpg
110721-7976404410.jpg

Wow that is so cool. I have never seen a townhome for a BD lol! It's a little hard to see from the pic but is there a ramp or log he can use to travel between floors? Is there a model online you got the plan/blueprint from (because I would love to make something like that one day!)? I love it.

lisbetha

Original Poster
I've blocked off the down below for now. It will have hammocks, a big square and rectangle to ease the way down from under the left driftwood 'cave'. There's a square cut out there.
The Viv itself is a reptileone 1200x1200x600. I added a level - just plywood and framing timber for legs.
The background is polystyrene panels with sculpted patches of expanded foam. Grouted, sealed then painted over with acrylic.
A lot of it is bits left over from when it was a water dragon Viv that I restructured. - it's walls were polystyrene, silicone and coconut coir matting with patches of siliconed soil with plant pots foamed into the walls. A lot of that foam ended up grouted over here.
The bottom is raised up with an outdoor chair cushion and a hessian rug with heat rope running underneath. Will be a soft fall if he ever trips up - there's two false plywood walls on the bottom that are grouted with chunks of polystyrene too which cover the shelf legs. One if the front legs is covered by a foam design that used to be around a plant pot. Hollowed it out a bit and it fit perfectly around that leg. Any gaps were filled with spare framing timber cut to size.
I didn't really follow any particular plans, Serpadesign on YouTube is a good source of inspiration tho and there's heaps of false rock tutorials online.

There will be live plants too - waiting on my false rock pots to come in, but I've already gotten all my echeverias, a carex, a portulacaria and a little opuntia cactus ready to go in. Nothing's too prickly and all are edible, though I'll be able to take them out as needed if he decides any one is too tasty.

He's already right into his veggies despite his age. Just need him to start smashing his crickets. He's been good with the soldierfly larvae, kibble and dry crickets... Though it's hard to track how much he's eating with that. :/

That is incredible! I took a screenshot of your reply for reference later. Great ideas there. I'll have to look into that youtube channel you mentioned too. Your dragon is going to be so happy with all that roaming space :)

lisbetha

Original Poster
I hope so, was glass running all evening tho. He had been climbing off and onto me and back in before the glass was in all the night before so hopefully just having a bit of wanderlust.

Found his bed and settled in on his own last night. 'its on top of the downstairs access' and has been basking all morning so far. With the guard next to the glass, I can't quite see him when he goes to ground if I'm sitting in the front room, but will see his tail poking up while he houns around XD.

Mind the wires - I've put a temporary probe in there till I know the temp ranges better. Right now, top is running a gradient of 30-38. Seems to be a bit cooler downstairs at 26 next to the glass. There's so much additional insulation going on in there - I just stuffed it with heat reflective mats wherever I could.

110721-6893256586.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom