Caution About Free Roam (Tegu Story)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yes I let my reptiles free roam. I'm usually very good about making sure there is nothing hazardous for my boys to get at. Well here is proof these guys can get into places you wouldn't think. So I let my tegu out to roam while I sat down to play a little Xbox. After two hours I went to get the little guy and put him back under his lights to warm up but couldn't find him. I checked all his hide spots but couldn't find him. Then I hear scratching. The only wooden items are my two dressers but upon checking he wasn't behind or under either of them. Then on a whim I check this:
107595-8804017859.jpg
This is the subwoofer to my soundbar which isn't currently setup due to room re-arranging. Peering in I see the tip of a tail. How the hell did he get in there!? I had to take it apart to get him out.
107595-6662321030.jpg
107595-2026032224.jpg
107595-9108427180.jpg
Poor guy was so scared because he couldn't get out he was hissing and ran away and hid under the guest bed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sneaky! Poor guy, I'm glad you were able to rescue him. Sometimes they do get into odd spots like that out of curiosity and seeking a cozy hide. I think it's still worth letting them free roam. Just one more spot to remember to block off is all.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3uy2n3fs said:
Sneaky! Poor guy, I'm glad you were able to rescue him. Sometimes they do get into odd spots like that out of curiosity and seeking a cozy hide. I think it's still worth letting them free roam. Just one more spot to remember to block off is all.
I agree. Free roam give them more chance for exercise and just to get outside that enclosure. Posted this more as a warning that reptiles can get to places you wouldn't think they could. This subwoofer is now up on a table so hopefully this won't happen again.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He was probably following the scent trail of a mouse or roach or spider , and got in strife when he got into it.

I'm betting if you'd left him be he would have come back out of it of his own accord when he was ready , and didn't appreciate you pulling the new spot apart. As a rule with lizards , if they can get in , they can get back out unless the "in" involves a very slick surface that's too tall for them to stretch up and climb out .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom