Figment Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took Figment outside for the first time today... just onto the front porch for some sunshine. He seemed moderately freaked out, particularly at the sound of cars passing by, and his colors got a bit darker. As a result, I snapped a couple of pictures and brought him back inside. We'll try again when I've got an outdoor enclosure set up for him, so I can make sure he's safe and secure and won't leap to the ground and run off or anything miserable like that. Weighing the pros and cons of harnesses vs. just bringing out a storage bin and covering up half the bin to make a shaded area and an area for sun basking - will gladly accept any thoughts on the matter.

full

Just hanging out on the table.

full

Please ignore the dirty hind foot... he stepped in poop and hates baths, so I haven't gotten it cleaned yet.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I think it's a great idea to try again with Figment.
Our girl was not a huge fan the first several times, but now she loves it. I looked at it kind of like relocation stress - she didn't know what was going on until she got used to it, if that makes sense.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I've heard of a beardie getting spooked by thunder and jumping into his human's arms. If I remember correctly, they were outside when it happened. It was a post on this website several years ago.

They can hear through those little holes in their head, so how much they react to sounds probably depends on the individual, and in our beardie's case, it seems to matter whether or not he is in familiar surroundings. Noises around the house don't seem to bother him, except for Alaskan earthquakes when there's noise as well as the ground shaking.

One time we took him down to Homer (about a 225 mile road trip) to visit his "grandfather," and I noticed that when we were there and I'd be holding him, I could feel him startle if someone made a noise in the house -- even something as simple as closing a door. So I figure he's gotten used to the sounds he hears around the house when he's home safe in his own familiar tank with his own familiar humans, although he behaved himself very nicely when his grandfather cuddled him. :love5:

The idea of "relocation stress" makes a lot of sense. So if you live somewhere that lets you take your beardie outside often so that you have lots of opportunities to practice, it might be worth several tries to see if they can get used to it and learn to like it, especially since natural sunlight is such a good thing. :)

I think I may be able to understand how they feel after being cooped up in the house for so long. I'm liable to have a good case of agoraphobia myself by the time this whole covid thing is over. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom