Cautionary Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here in Mass we've been running above average temps. Tuesday it was 90 degrees with a dew point in the 70s. Because of this I completely rearranged my apartment so my beardie is in the room with A/C. Well on this Tuesday my neighborhood lost power. By the time I got home and found this out the temp in my little guys tank was 120 degrees. He was laying there with his mouth open and taking short shallow breaths. He was not lifting his head and barely moving. His beard was completely black and was turning black around his eyes. I grabbed him and dropped him in a bath of warm water and Pedialyte. After about 30 mins in this he stopped panting for breath and had closed his mouth. He was now keeping his head up looking around and was moving a little more. I was also using a small syringe to get him to drink some. Thankfully during the bath the power came back on. After I took him out of the bath I dried him off with a towel and brought him back to the air conditioned room. I kept offering him water from the syringe and we both just sat there (out of direct flow from the A/C because I didn't want to shock him going from really hot temps to much cooler temps). After 2 hours (of which I spent freaking out in my head) his color was returning to normal, he started walking around some more, and his head was up and eyes fully open. I think I dodged a big bullet. The next day as well as this morning he's seemed perfectly fine.
So I guess if I had any questions it would be A) did I actually take the right steps to treat him and B) what do you all do if the power goes out and you're not home? Luckily I have family that lives on the floor below me and will go check on all my pets for me if the power goes out again.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Important tips I have been trying to get across to all reptile keepers who live in areas where heat waves happen are these.

Tip 1 : Relating a bearded dragon in a tank - if it's going to be hotter than 36 degC during the day , even if your home is air-conditioned ( if you WONT BE HOME to monitor the termperatures ) , unplug the basking globe for the day ( so it stays off ) , just leave the UV on.

This will help keep the temperatures the dragon exposed to inside the appropriate ranges shown here :

Tip 2 : Appropriate temperatures Australian heliothermal dragons like bearded dragons are shown below ( this is based on science and observations by hundreds of naturalists and zoologists in the field )
temperature-response-of-p.png

I hope you dragon survives this and regains it's mobility and ability to thermoregulate. I know of people who have lost their pets in similar situations.

Tip 3: During hot weather is the only time I recommend providing a water dish inside a bearded dragon's tank, the dragon may not drink from it , but is very likely to sit in the water to cool off if it can't find a low enough temperature to cool off inside the tank.

Tip 4 : Another guidance I give is to set the maximum temperature in a dragon's tank NO HOTTER THAN 40 degC , ( some people keep on saying maximum is 110 to 115 degF !!! this is WAY TOO HOT , for me and many dragon keepers I know here ( in Australia ) alarm bells ring if the tank temperature hit 105 degF ) this gives you good temperature buffer at the high end of the thermal gradient and reduces the risk of situations like your's happens.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good stuff thanks. I actually have not been turning his heat lamps on only the UVB. And after this I did indeed put a water dish back into his tank. I got a big shallow dish so he could lay in it if he wants but it isn't deep enough so he can't drown.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Wow...I got scared for you just reading that. ?
Being from the dog world, I remember hearing stories of people who would be at dog events and have their dogs in their rv who had power lost and lost their babies this way.
I am so glad you got home when you did and seem to have dodged that bullet.
I hope he continues to be ok.

Our power company has email alerts for outages, so maybe check on that?
Otherwise I know you can get water alarms (like for the basement), so I wonder if something like that exists for heat?

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
WinFam01":f3wvtmfp said:
Wow...I got scared for you just reading that. ?
Being from the dog world, I remember hearing stories of people who would be at dog events and have their dogs in their rv who had power lost and lost their babies this way.
I am so glad you got home when you did and seem to have dodged that bullet.
I hope he continues to be ok.

Our power company has email alerts for outages, so maybe check on that?
Otherwise I know you can get water alarms (like for the basement), so I wonder if something like that exists for heat?
I'm actually looking into a web cam that I can check on my phone. That way if I see something wrong I can run home or call someone to go check things for me.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I've seen a couple people have those and think they're a great idea.
I've gotten so used to being home with ours basically 24/7 that I don't know how I'll do when I have to go back to work.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't worry about outage alarms , better off looking at the local BOM app and checking temperatures and humidity and wind speed ( and direction , espec if you are regional heat sinks like a large city , a desert and the wind will blow from there ), if it's likely to be hot , just make sure to unplug the basking globe , this way the tank wont be turned into an oven , even if the aircon fails ( you are unlikely to see anything beyond 100 degF inside the house if the blinds are all down and curtains drawn and all the windows and doors are closed, you dragon will cope with that so long as it can get to a water dish that's wide enough for it lay in, the water will naturally cool itself because water looses heat when some of it evaporates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom