Painted Agama UVB Light?

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Painted Agama UVB Light?

Postby Pinkeed » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Recently, my cat ate the cord for my Zilla Slimline Fixture. I'm not sure if I should get the same one, replace with T5, or switch out the bulb? Is the desert 50 bulb any good?

Painted Agama is in a 20 gallon long tank with a basking light on one end. Normally I just had a ReptiSun 5.0 in it (sitting on mesh). Advice seems to differ about using the 5.0 or 10.0 with agamas and smaller tank size.

Would a T5 be too much UVB or overheat the tank? It seems like the only size that would fit is the 14 in. Am I better off sticking with T8 18 in. because of tank size?

I'm sure people have come up with similar questions on tanks and beardies.

My agama, Mordor, is 7 and will be turning 8 this year.
Pinkeed
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Painted Agama UVB Light?

Postby AHBD » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:52 pm

Hi there, can you post pics of Mordor and his set up ? Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

If you use a t8 it would be best to mount it inside attached to the screen. A t5 is stronger so it can be on top of the screen. The Zilla slimline is O.K but you have to take the clear piece of plastic off that covers the bulb. But the Reptisun is regarded as the better bulb by most people. BTW, I have a clown [ painted ] agama as well. :) Here is Rascal in his 40 gallon set up.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploa ... _large.jpg

AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Pinkeed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Cool tank, I always liked the natural look! Lots of room to run around. Very bright patterned agama! Very cute! How old is yours? Is that his favorite spot?

This is Mordor. He has a water bowl in the corner, but never uses it. :/ Prefers to be sprayed. Likes to sit on the rock for most of the day.

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

I won't have room to put the UVB light in the tank, it's 30 in long and 12 in high (13 in almost with lid). I was hoping to put it on top of the tank again. Would T5 be too strong (not sure how much wire mesh will filter it)? Is it better to get the 14 in ReptiSun fixture with T5 or get T8 fixture? Is the Desert 50 comparable to the ReptiSun? I figure if I'm buying a new one anyway might as well get the best possible thing for the setup.
Pinkeed
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Aw, he's a cutie ! Rascal is 3 years old , he is very active most of the time and runs all around the tank. :)
For the best uvb go with the t5. For the one you have now you could easily use wire or even fishing line to attach it under. Here's how I did it. :

BTW, these guys love to have lots of stuff to climb on so you should get a couple more nice rocks from outside, flat ones work well and you can prop them up against another rock [ being sure that they can't fall over ] I get nice rocks outside + just give them a good wash in hot water, vinegar + dish soap, then rinse well. I get nice logs + branches too, I put them in a preheated 250 oven for an hour to kill potential pests hiding but there's generally nothing detrimental in the wood. So does Mordor like to be handled ? And what does he eat ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Pinkeed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Mordor used to be more active. When he was younger he would crawl across the lid of the tank upside down. I was always concerned that he would burn himself. Hope Rascal stay active! My leopard gecko is more active than Mordor and he's turning 19 this year.

Do you know if there are guidelines somewhere with how far the T5 or T8 needs to be away from the lizard?

I used to have 3 more rocks in there, but he pushed them out of the way to get to that one always. Maybe it was a size issue? Bigger rocks?

Mordor doesn't mind once he's picked up, but hates the act of being picked up. He was kinda grumpy this morning and bit my pinky 3 times. Usually doesn't bite, my bad for not paying more attention. He likes crickets, grasshoppers, and veggies. He'll eat roaches, but doesn't really like them that much. What does yours eat?

Also oddly he likes cat toys, the stringy ones. I have 3 cats, the lizards and the cats watch each other for entertainment.
Pinkeed
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 am

Rascal does the acrobatic upside down screen climb as well. :) How old is Mordor ? Rascal eats mostly crickets a few mealworms + few superworms a week. As far as using more rocks, get some larger flat ones like this and a nice piece of wood .

The uv bulb placement should be 6-10 inches for the t8, 11-14" for the t5.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Pinkeed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:36 am

Mordor will be turning 8, in August. I've had him since he was 10 weeks old. I'll have to look into getting more rocks.

I tried to buy the same Zilla Slimline light fixture, but it seems like the new ones have a flickering problem. It's driving me and probably Mordor nuts! So I'll be returning that one.

I'm having a hard time finding another T8 fixture that's under 20 in. and black. The under cabinet ones are all white. I'm worried that if I try to squeeze a 20 in. fixture in there it will melt the sides of the tank. It's happened before with a light bulb.
Pinkeed
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:47 pm

How's Mordor and the situation with the lights ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Off Topic