Little Pheobe's Defrost Vent Adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had little Pheobe for only about a month now, she's only 8 inches long so, she's pretty tiny. I was driving home to my parents' house and I put her on the dash of my car (Stupid decision, I know. I'm a newbie owner, don't shoot me :lol: ) but, she just seemed so happy. Staring out my windshield and even doing what I can only explain as wagging her tail, which I didn't know beardies did but apparently mine does...? Anyway, I have defrost vents all across the front of the dash where the windshield is, tiny little things I highly doubted she could fit in. Well, an hour into my drive, she forced her way right in.

I pulled the car over immediately, getting out, trying to shine my phone light in there and see her but nothing. I waited on the side of the road for nearly two hours for her to come out, and nothing. So, I had no choice but to continue home. It was a 2-hour ride back to my parent's house, not knowing whether Pheobe was alive or dead, completely terrified me. By the time I get there she's been inside my dash for like 4 hours, it's midnight, I've talked to my parents and pulled the car into the garage.

I'm a sobbing mess (when this happened I had only had her for a week) thinking I had killed my dragon. So, the next six hours, my parents and I spent the entire night pulling apart the entire front end of my vehicle. My car is small, compact, we had to pull everything from the shifter, the consol removed the radio and everything, me not knowing whether or not she's even alive. (My Mom had an epic battle with the glovebox, that is a memory I will cherish forvever). We were able to pull the dash cover out far enough to see maybe 3 inches under it and there she is, sleeping of all things. This tiny lizard just snoozing under my dash, no idea that anything was wrong. My Mom had to get her hand in that 3-inch gap, somehow get her arm in there and grab the lizard, nearly broke her wrist doing it because my windshield is so slanted but finally we got her out.

My Mom looks Pheobe right in the face, Pheobe's just staring back at her and she says. "Don't ever do that again you lizard! or I won't get you out next time!" (she's joking of course). I'm exhausted, emotionally drained from crying for like the last how many hours and I put Pheobe in a blanket with her heating mat and she just looks up and smirks at me! smirks of all things!. There wasn't even any time to savour the victory, I had an exam back on campus the next day, 3-hours away. So, I got like two hours of sleep and we had to completely put my dash back together so I could drive all the way back to campus to do the exam.

What I've learned from this experience, Pheobe will never EVER get anywhere near the dash again! :D

The End.

107439-2991889199.jpg
107439-6788037573.jpg

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Oh my goodness! That was certainly much harder on you than Phoebe! ?
Glad it all came out well and you know what not to do, at least while she's little. I've seen many pics of bigger dragons, with vest and leash ride on dash usually on a little blanket or beanbag.
She is adorable! (And you aged 10 yrs that night! Lol!)
-Dee

DerangedLava

Original Poster
I did age ten years that night! since then I've lost her like 4 other times. She may be a baby, but she's a wild woman! my heart can't keep up. I just can't wait till she grows bigger so that I can't lose her so easily! still haven't figured out how she keeps getting out of her enclosure, probably some sort of gymnast in a past life or she has wizard powers I don't know about. I'm sure it won't be my last time posting a story like this :lol:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
DerangedLava":2n81yhi0 said:
I did age ten years that night! since then I've lost her like 4 other times. She may be a baby, but she's a wild woman! my heart can't keep up. I just can't wait till she grows bigger so that I can't lose her so easily! still haven't figured out how she keeps getting out of her enclosure, probably some sort of gymnast in a past life or she has wizard powers I don't know about. I'm sure it won't be my last time posting a story like this :lol:
Oh Good Lord! I hope that IS your last story like that. LOL! Don't let her get lost anymore. ? She's so tiny she's hard to find.
Does the enclosure have doors on the front or what? Gotta be a way to secure her when she's inside. ?
-Dee

DerangedLava

Original Poster
Her enclosure has a sliding top, I don't think any of my branches are high enough for her to reach the edge but I should look, something to consider :D She's been good the last couple days, I did move some things around, maybe thats why.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
DerangedLava":37wit1i9 said:
Her enclosure has a sliding top, I don't think any of my branches are high enough for her to reach the edge but I should look, something to consider :D She's been good the last couple days, I did move some things around, maybe thats why.
If the top is mesh/screen of some type, don't be surprised. ? My boy is adult and I've seen him jump up from his hammock and hang onto the mesh with his claws. As a lightweight baby, I'm sure she could crawl over to the sliding spot, hanging on and get out. Consider a way to keep her from that. A little string tie or something so she can't move the slide and squeeze out. ? They're sneaky! Lol! ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom