Mario's Super World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking inspiration from other members, I figured this forum would be a good place to catalogue the life of Mario!

Obligatory picture of cuteness
107433-3220778336.jpg

Background
Mario is my daughter's dragon. She has been wanting one since Christmas, but I did NOT feel comfortable about keeping a creature in a box for our entertainment. My wife and I agreed that if she could prove herself responsible from the new year until her 10th birthday, we would get her a beardie with the understanding that she would be the one feeding it, bathing it, and cleaning out its enclosure. In the meantime I would do the research to talk her out of getting a reptile.

How valuable research is! We discovered this amazing community of helpful folks that eventually changed my mind about these awesome creatures. The images of sad, sick lizards in tiny boxes that I remembered my friends having in school were quickly replaced by amazing tales of companionship among beardies and their servants (the humans!)

It turns out my daughter was serious about getting a BD. She cleaned her room without asking, did chores without complaining, and helped her younger siblings, all with a smile on her face. About a month ago I started the real research of husbandry and laid out the roadwork for our new family member.

Mario's 1st Friend
107433-647770819.jpg

Mario's 2nd Friend
107433-5750837228.jpg

So we got him! Knowing that this was quite a lot to take on, my wife and I budgeted all the supplies over 4 pay periods. We slowly built a collection of roaches, building supplies, lights and fixtures, and other accouterment. It has all been worth it, as you can see!

Exploring His New Home
107433-5343149309.jpg
107433-2478570957.jpg
107433-5340462858.jpg

He's starting to settle in nicely and doesn't seem the least bit phased about the chaos in our house. He lives on top of a bookcase in a highly traveled area, basking right near the window so he can keep an eye on us!

Keeping an Eye on His Subjects
107433-2437217403.jpg

Mario has eaten twice. Yesterday afternoon, about 18 hours after bringing him home, he gobbled 12 Dubia roaches in about 1 minute! He went very dark, scrambled onto his rock, and basked there until the lights went out. In the morning he was in the exact same place! :lol:

Collard Greens, Squash, and Cucumber
107433-9589576278.jpg

This morning my daughter started his regular routine. Again, he scarfed down 12 roaches in about a minute before climbing onto the hammock and eyeing the food bowl. After 5 minutes or so of this he decided he was full and scampered over to his basking spot.

Mario's "Murder Pit"
107433-9411851954.jpg

Post-Feeding Posing
107433-4462680873.jpg
107433-709262109.jpg

That's all for now! My daughter will try bathing him tomorrow, and while he is out and about we're going to weigh him again. Let's see what the math looks like...6 grams + ~50 roaches = :?:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
He is so adorable! I can just imagine how excited your daughter is. ?
Someone else should add their advice, but from what I've heard, (I only have adult) might want to hold off a bit on baths and give him time to settle in. I hear it can take a while and he is so super tiny. Just a thought.?
So great to see someone do so much research and leg work before hand. Kudos!?
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes please no baths yet---- and you want him eating those salads or some of them anyway----- he is adorable --- I recommend you feed him salads first thing in the morning --- add some BSFL on top for enticement to that bowl - you may need to get a bowl that they cant get out of - you can order them from here www.symtonbsf.com - feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder and you dont need to dust them --- you can also use small super worms you can get them here www.reptilesplus.com add 1-3 to the salads as well -- only use them sparingly as they get addicted to the worms - you can also use butter worms to the salad - after hes eaten from that bowl for like say an hr or so add your dubias ---- take a little salad out but leave some in there so hes eating salad too --- if your washing his veggies before serving he will get moisture from the veggies --- another good site for roaches and worms etc is www.dubiaroaches.com this place has good silk worms when in stock www.mulberryfarms.com and www.reptilianarts.com
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Wonderful news for the whole family! Welcome Mario. His "murder pit" is fantastic :)

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No baths, got it! Sounds like even though he’s perky and watchful we should give him some more time to settle. Thanks!

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":1bidbaba said:
Wonderful news for the whole family! Welcome Mario. His "murder pit" is fantastic :)

Haha! Thanks. It's working for now. I imagine when he is grown he'll just have his front legs in there!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
MariosDad":1qhenyp1 said:
No baths, got it! Sounds like even though he’s perky and watchful we should give him some more time to settle. Thanks!

Mine have only had 2 baths each in the nearly 6 weeks we've had them. When they're in shed I usually spray them down a bit with lukewarm water and I spray their salads every day to make sure they get water. When they're not so tiny it's a lot less daunting! The murder pit has me cracking up btw lol.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cool, we’ll definitely hold off for a couple weeks. His salads are sprayed and he might be nibbling the greens and squash. My daughter seems to think there’s less in the bowl when she takes it out, but who knows. Pretty sure he ate a couple pieces of greens when we fed him last night. Took a tip from Kerrie and put his salad in the murder pit with the roaches and at least a few pieces went in his mouth while he gobbled the bugs.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MariosDad":3hhp07qv said:
Cool, we’ll definitely hold off for a couple weeks. His salads are sprayed and he might be nibbling the greens and squash. My daughter seems to think there’s less in the bowl when she takes it out, but who knows. Pretty sure he ate a couple pieces of greens when we fed him last night. Took a tip from Kerrie and put his salad in the murder pit with the roaches and at least a few pieces went in his mouth while he gobbled the bugs.
Great advice! Karrie was a huge help when Petey and I joined the community. His lights/temps weren't right and she took the time to help me get him properly set up. Patience of a saint! ?
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm definitely going to be following along! :)

I love that pic of Mario looking at the sticker haha. Too good.

-Brandon

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As of tonight, we've had Mario for one week!

He has gained about half a gram (6.5g) and is starting to eat more regularly, about 4-8 roaches twice a day.

He might be nibbling his salads between feedings, but the only time I've seen him eat them is when bits get in his mouth while he gobbles the roaches.

He's pooped twice, slept in almost every nook of his enclosure, and keeps a close eye on my crazy family as we live life outside his window!

My daughter has been a champ taking care of Mario. She's slowly figuring out a routine that works for Mario and the rest of the family. She's the only one who feeds him and cleans his poop, so hopefully that will translate to some quality trust down the road!

Poop
107433-398039930.jpg

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Mario had another good poop today! That makes 3 in 10 days. They seem solid and not too dry. I'm pretty sure that means he's staying hydrated, but whether from the roaches or his salad is anyone's guess! If he eats his salad, it's when nobody is around to watch! He'll get some pieces with his bugs, but I've only ever seen him go near the actual "salad bowl" once, after his lights were off.

Speaking of sleeping, I think he's found a preferred spot: on top of the tree, directly under the CHE! It's quite comical and extremely cute.

My daughter is definitely his favorite human. He doesn't move when she feeds him except to get closer to his murder pit, and usually jumps in before she even removes her hand and closes the door! He watches her when she cleans his poop, and even when she had to take out his favorite log to get to the mess, he just scampered to the next nearest perch to watch!

She reads to him most nights, too! :book: I'm really thinking the quality time, plus the fact that she's the only one feeding him and cleaning up after him, helps a lot.

We're all excited to watch Mario grow in the next several months and eventually start some sweet, sweet dragon cuddles!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
That's terrific! Some things are just meant to be IMO.
I'm sure your daughter couldn't be happier.? Glad Mario is doing so well.
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's cute that your daughter and Mario are bonding. What a wonderful experience for her.

-Brandon

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We tried the BSFL in Mario's murder pit this morning to great success! For whatever reason he was never turned on to the wax worms, but these little guys were awesome!

He ate 3 in about 5 seconds and then... :shock: :shock:
107433-7535382984.jpg

I was laughing as my daughter had to dump the salad she just made and wash the dish! :lol:

We're gonna try 3 feedings today since he only ate a few before the biohazard...I just hope this doesn't become a habit, but so far it's been 4 poops in 4 places so who knows :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom