Grumpy Janeway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I stumbled upon this forum accidentally trying to figure out if it was okay for me to put a quartz crystal in her habitat. (I still don't have an answer if someone would like to give it to me. Willing to wash, not willing to bleach. Not only will it damage the crystal physically, but it will also screw with the spiritual properties. I don't want to put it in her area because I think it will help her or whatever, I just think it would look cool and that she might like it.)

Anyway, I started reading a bunch of these forums and discussions and really loved them and everyone here is so helpful and friendly, so I figured I'd make an account and join in. I got Dracona Rae Janeway, Janeway for short, on August 2nd, 2019. I love Star Trek, if she had turned out to be a boy (too young to tell when I got her) she would have been Neelix Montague. I just thought the two names sounded good together. As for Janeway's full name, I know other trekkies, mostly in my family, that I don't get to see often, so I wanted to have the opportunity down the road to see them and go "Hey, wanna see pictures of Janeway?" "Katherine Janeway?" "No, Dracona Janeway!" *finger guns* As for Rae, when I was preparing to get her, I wanted either a rat or a beardie. Which one I got depended on what the store had in stock when I got there or what mood I was in. I asked a coworker for name ideas for if I got a rat and he said if I got a white or light grey girl, I should name it Rae and he was really invested in the name for Pokemon reasons and I like Pokemon, too. When I got there, they had no rats in, but I liked the name, too, and he was so invested in it and we were good friends and I didn't want to not use his name so I played around and realized that Dracona Rae Janeway sounded really good together.

Janeway and I got off to a bit of a rocky start, unfortunately. All of August, I was working massive amounts of overtime because our store got pretty screwed over in terms of numbers of employees go and all full timers were putting in full time, part timers were putting in extra hours, and employees from other branches were coming to lend a hand. I still live at home until later this year, so my sister was able to help me keep on top of the feeding schedule needed for a baby, but she didn't get handled a whole lot because I didn't have the time and I didn't want anyone handling her without my supervision because she's a runner/jumper.

In early September I pointed out from my job because I was sick too much and a few days later I got T-boned/broad sided on my way home from an interview and broke my hip, which drastically limited my interaction with her. My room is small and she is in the far back corner with a narrow path to get to her that my borrowed walker could not fit through and I was not allowed on crutches for the first month. So during that time, my mom and sister were her primary caretakers and I still wouldn't let anyone handle her without my supervision. And even once I was allowed on crutches, i still could only have limited activity on them.

Janeway definitely noticed something was up even though she's pretty grumpy and apathetic, she still recognises me. I was able to get in the first few feet with my walker and when I was having better days I would wheel in to say hi and once I was allowed on crutches, I would start to hop all the way in to her terrarium and she definitely noticed that I was not moving the way I used to. This Monday will make it two weeks since I have started walking and she definitely noticed the difference.

Last Sunday was my first time sleeping back in my bed since the accident (had to live on the recliner in the living room) and she noticed me clearing off the bed and changing the bedding. When I sat on my bed, she showed even more interest from where she stood on her hollow half log, tilting her head and leaning forward. Her terrarium is on the far opposite wall and kiddy-corner/diagonal from my bed and her log and basking light are on the far end with her heat light being on the end closest to me. When the dogs and I were getting settled in bed, she crawled down off her log and curled up in the corner closest to me. It made me feel really good that she missed me.

Gemmarii

Original Poster
106926-3363519767.jpg

This is a photo of her sleeping in the corner of her tank closest to me my first night sleeping back in my bed. The dresser she is kept on is by a window and it tends to get cold in my room, so since it is winter in Wisconsin, I keep her heat light on most nights and only turn off the basking light.

106926-378133585.jpg

This picture was taken yesterday. With my sister's help, I cleaned out her whole set up, gave her a bath (she hates bath time, but this time she was better behaved than the last times), cleaned all her amenities, and gave her a fresh brand new carpet. She was not happy, so I gave her extra dubia roaches and superworms. By the time I took this picture, which was about four or five hours later, she still looked like she didn't forgive me.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you created an account and have started to share stories of Dracona Janeway. Welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing more as you heal up and are able to interact with her more. She looks nice and healthy based on the photos you posted. If you have any questions about her care or would like us to walk through your setup to help make sure everything is optimal for her, please let us know and we'll be glad to help as much as we can.

As far as a crystal goes, I don't see a problem with adding it as long as it is large enough so she can't eat/swallow it if she gets curious about it. If it's simply washed and dried it shouldn't cause any issues as far as I can think of. It wouldn't need to be sanitized unless it came in contact with parasites or infectious bacteria of some kind which seems highly unlikely.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do you have a red light in her tank ??? Dragons sleep in the dark -- no light --- this could be the reason for the grumpy behavior---------- colored bulbs disrupt their sleep -- if you need extra heat in the tank I would look at getting a CHE they emit no light and you can order the bulb off of Amazon - you will need a dome for the bulb and they come in 75 and 100 watt bulbs- I would not get one tho if your tank is 65 or higher at nite ---------------- can you tell us what your using for a UVB ? She looks good but she could use some more decor in the tank -- I see one piece of decor --- check out Petsmart they have great decor for dragons-- she needs stuff to climb on --- I would get this piece my dragons love it
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/51031 you go look tho - this piece offers a gradient for temps for them to sit and bask on
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hi and welcome to both of you!

Seconding what KarrieRee said, the lights in the picture look like they should be upgraded, especially the UVB. Measuring heat accurately and having high output UVB tube light is the best for your dragon's health. Everyone wants your little girl (or maybe boy) to have the best start to life.

Not sure how far east you are, but if Twin Cities aren't too far off from you I highly recommend Twin Cities Reptiles in Minneapolis. The only other more niche specialty pet store I can think of is Angela's Pet World in Hudson...but they are more of a catch all place than just reptiles. Still Angela's have some nice decor options. For crystals, as long as it not a salt crystal it should be nice. I've added some rocks I washed from outside to my dragons house. Soaked them in some soapy water overnight, then rinse, then another plain water soak to clean. I want to give her a crystal too, but I haven't found one I think she would like yet

Gemmarii

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3bk810r8 said:
I'm glad you created an account and have started to share stories of Dracona Janeway. Welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing more as you heal up and are able to interact with her more. She looks nice and healthy based on the photos you posted. If you have any questions about her care or would like us to walk through your setup to help make sure everything is optimal for her, please let us know and we'll be glad to help as much as we can.

As far as a crystal goes, I don't see a problem with adding it as long as it is large enough so she can't eat/swallow it if she gets curious about it. If it's simply washed and dried it shouldn't cause any issues as far as I can think of. It wouldn't need to be sanitized unless it came in contact with parasites or infectious bacteria of some kind which seems highly unlikely.

Oh, thanks, but as someone who grew up with a variety of animals and was briefly in 4H (We won't get into that), I research any animal I potentially want to get as a pet. As a result, I have a lot of knowledge on animals I've never even had in addition to knowledge on ones I have had. So I made sure to know about her feeding and her care before I got her. Glad to know that she looks healthy to someone with an experienced eye and thanks for the tip on the crystal!

Gemmarii

Original Poster
KarrieRee":15lwub73 said:
Do you have a red light in her tank ??? Dragons sleep in the dark -- no light --- this could be the reason for the grumpy behavior---------- colored bulbs disrupt their sleep -- if you need extra heat in the tank I would look at getting a CHE they emit no light and you can order the bulb off of Amazon - you will need a dome for the bulb and they come in 75 and 100 watt bulbs- I would not get one tho if your tank is 65 or higher at nite ---------------- can you tell us what your using for a UVB ? She looks good but she could use some more decor in the tank -- I see one piece of decor --- check out Petsmart they have great decor for dragons-- she needs stuff to climb on --- I would get this piece my dragons love it
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/51031 you go look tho - this piece offers a gradient for temps for them to sit and bask on
Karrie

I'll address the decor first because it takes less time. She has her half log thingy that she sleeps under, climbs on, and basks on in addition to three rocks and a piece of driftwood, all purchased from the pet store I got her from in the reptile section, so I know they were properly taken care of to be clean enough to put in her cage. I'm about to start making her a hammock and after seeing some forum posts on her, gave her a fleece blankie. Beyond that, her environment isn't very big and I don't want to over crowd it. I'm working on designing her new one, I've been doing some experience and it turns out building one isn't that difficult if you have some building experience, which I do. I've built chicken runs, chicken coops, dog houses, rabbit hutches, and a large cat jungle climber. I'm being very careful and specific in my plans and making sure I cover every point before I begin construction, but once it's done, she'll have plenty of decor, including rocks big enough for her to climb on and those little vine things they seem to like so much despite being desert animals.

As for the lights, her heat light and basking light are both halogen bulbs that came with the starter kit I purchased. Lately I've been wondering about them because the temperature doesn't seem to quite be as it should and I have started turning up the heat in my room to help out, so when I build her new set up, I am definitely going to get a better alternative. I have already made notes of options that I have seen suggested in my research on constructing your own habitat.

As far as her grumpiness goes, I don't mean to make it sound as if she is aggressive or anything, she just always looks like she bit into something nasty or is holier than thou. (Not sure I spelled holier right.) And she's looked like that since literally the day I got her, long before we went into the habit of keeping her red heat light on at night because it's cold. Keeping the light on at night actually doesn't seem to bug her that much, she'll just curl up under her log facing away from it usually, but now that I gave her a blankie, half the time she actually spreads out on top of the blankie and under the light. Debating on moving the blankie under her log.

Gemmarii

Original Poster
DorgEndo":jetxwbez said:
Hi and welcome to both of you!

Seconding what KarrieRee said, the lights in the picture look like they should be upgraded, especially the UVB. Measuring heat accurately and having high output UVB tube light is the best for your dragon's health. Everyone wants your little girl (or maybe boy) to have the best start to life.

Not sure how far east you are, but if Twin Cities aren't too far off from you I highly recommend Twin Cities Reptiles in Minneapolis. The only other more niche specialty pet store I can think of is Angela's Pet World in Hudson...but they are more of a catch all place than just reptiles. Still Angela's have some nice decor options. For crystals, as long as it not a salt crystal it should be nice. I've added some rocks I washed from outside to my dragons house. Soaked them in some soapy water overnight, then rinse, then another plain water soak to clean. I want to give her a crystal too, but I haven't found one I think she would like yet

I live near the Wisconsin Dells, many hours just to reach the Mississippi, let alone get to the twin cities. And I don't even know where Hudson is, I hear that and I think of the river out by New York. I can't drive anyway. I'll have to just look around online and order her something. I'm a gemology student and hoard crystals like nobody's business, so I have no shortage of large interesting ones to give her. The only salt crystal I have is a lamp and I already licked it and claimed it as mine (my dad was going to, so I beat him to it because no), so there's no risk of me mistakenly giving her salt. I actually keep it by my bed and the other night I turned it on for the first time in months and you bet your bottom she wanted to know why the human has an orange light, too, all of a sudden. And yes, I'm certain she's a she. She has the lady bump.

Gemmarii

Original Poster
CooperDragon":v2mfz8v6 said:
DorgEndo":v2mfz8v6 said:
I highly recommend Twin Cities Reptiles in Minneapolis.

Seconded. I bought my tank there and found it to be a pretty great store.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm many hours from there and can't drive. My local pet shop seems to be gearing themselves more towards reptiles and aquaria, so I can ask the owners if they have something better or can get something, otherwise I will just have to browse online.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The best UVB on the market is the Reptisun 10.0 tube either the T 5 or the T8 at this time -- if you need the heat I would recommend the Ceramic Heat Emitter it has only heat and no light --- I recommend again you get rid of the red bulb --- they are harmful --- you can order the CHE bulb on line at Amazon for like $13 and you need to get a dome that would accommodate the wattage - bulbs come in 75-100 watt that I know of and would or should keep the tank around 70 at nite I live in MN so I keep mine on 24/7 during the winter and it keeps my tanks around 70-75 depending on how cold it is outside at nite w/ all the lights off ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom