A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby opaquelace » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:20 am

claudiusx wrote:How absolutely freaking awesome! I wish something like this would have happened to me as a kid lol.

-Brandon


Lol it’s been months of planning but it worked out so nice. And my husbands happy too because I noticed the scale of the TV was off with the bearded dragon cages off to the side so I think we need a new one 🤦🏻‍♀️.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby Gormagon » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:23 am

opaquelace wrote:
claudiusx wrote:How absolutely freaking awesome! I wish something like this would have happened to me as a kid lol.

-Brandon


Lol it’s been months of planning but it worked out so nice. And my husbands happy too because I noticed the scale of the TV was off with the bearded dragon cages off to the side so I think we need a new one 🤦🏻‍♀️.


Sounds like you are going to do well with this new addition, LOL!!!

I wish I had seen the cork background sooner (a bit of envy) I love it.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
User avatar
Gormagon
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 3336
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby ComicBookMama » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:47 am

Merry Christmas! Everything looks great, and the plushies are sooooo cute! Glad everyone is happy... a new TV isn't a bad outcome, either! Can't wait to hear how the kiddos reacted. This thread is epic!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
User avatar
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 am
Location: New England, USA

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby opaquelace » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:21 pm

So my husband took the video and I don’t have it yet. We’re not the most excitable people lol so it was a big “what!” And a bunch of “I totally didn’t expect that.” And “I thought you guys said no live animals.” lol. Here’s a picture of it fully lit. Nothing is in place at the moment, but eventually it will have more. Although since I’ve heard baby beardeds poop A LOT we will probably keep the decor fairly minimal at first.
Image
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby ComicBookMama » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:34 am

Looks even better lit up! So glad your Christmas Day was happy... now we all get to anticipate the arrival of the babies! Yup, they’re going to make a mess, usually right in the basking spot on the hardest to clean furniture item! But you’ll get to anticipate their habits, and it’s not really that bad. Keep us in the loop - we’re loving this tale of “beardie acquisition done right.”
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
User avatar
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 am
Location: New England, USA

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby opaquelace » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:22 pm

ComicBookMama wrote:Looks even better lit up! So glad your Christmas Day was happy... now we all get to anticipate the arrival of the babies! Yup, they’re going to make a mess, usually right in the basking spot on the hardest to clean furniture item! But you’ll get to anticipate their habits, and it’s not really that bad. Keep us in the loop - we’re loving this tale of “beardie acquisition done right.”

Lol my husband and I used to to saltwater tanks so this isn’t nearly as bad! And this the kids are going to fully enjoy. We’ve been watching bearded dragon videos on YouTube all day.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby opaquelace » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:19 am

So the bearded dragons will be on their way in a little more than a week. Breeder starts shipping again on the 12th of January. I also ordered some roaches from the breeder as well. Here they are! Names will come soon after my kids name them. Expect something ridiculous from my daughter and probably something Harry Potter related from my son lol.
Image
My daughter's bearded dragon. Probable female, translucent witblits. She's so cute. I can't wait to see how they change as they get older.
Image
My son's bearded dragon. Hypo leatherback, probable male. I did spend a little more than I planned on my daughter's bearded, but it was a "when you know, you know" thing lol. I hope they love their new homes and their new best friends (my kids).
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:24 am

So you went with KPS critters? :)

I was going to go see them today at the reptile super show but something came up and we won't be going.

I too had my eyes on that witblits, i'm glad she's coming to the beardeddragon.org family :)

Excited for you to get them both :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 19364
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby opaquelace » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:31 am

claudiusx wrote:So you went with KPS critters? :)

I was going to go see them today at the reptile super show but something came up and we won't be going.

I too had my eyes on that witblits, i'm glad she's coming to the beardeddragon.org family :)

Excited for you to get them both :)

-Brandon

I did! It was between KPs Critters, Draggintails, and Carolina Classic Dragons. KPs Critters was just super easy with the website and ordering, and I'd been keeping an eye on their Instagram knowing they'd be posting their stock soon because I had asked. They posted it 2 minutes before I made my way to the website and ordered lol. Now I have a week to plan and get everything ready. Not that it's not all ready now, but I'll be able to prepare myself haha and get a setup for the roaches going. Those witblits are super amazing, and I haven't seen any like them with other breeders I looked at. You should check out their leatherback witblits they have up. She's super stunning. All of their dragons are even their more "ordinary" ones.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:37 am

Yup I follow a lot of the breeders pretty closely. KPS has been very impressive with the dragons they have been putting out. Like you, i've been blown away by their witblits. They are producing the highest color wit's out there right now. Even Josh D hasn't produced any like they have, which is saying something in my book.

Dragintails is also great, they produce some very nice dragons, plus they've been around forever.

I knew that wit was going to go within minutes of posting. So glad you got it. I will live vicariously through you haha :)
I'm very interested in seeing how she grows up.

Moro is a hypo wit from dachiu, and as babies the hypo wits typically look very white like zeros, but as they age they get more of a warm natural color.
So if it's the same with your girl, I'd be interested in seeing if that color change with age makes her even more red, or if it dulls slightly.

Either way, she is stunning, and your sons dragon will be a real stunner too.

Geeze, just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited over this whole thing lol.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 19364
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby opaquelace » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:50 am

claudiusx wrote:Yup I follow a lot of the breeders pretty closely. KPS has been very impressive with the dragons they have been putting out. Like you, i've been blown away by their witblits. They are producing the highest color wit's out there right now. Even Josh D hasn't produced any like they have, which is saying something in my book.

Dragintails is also great, they produce some very nice dragons, plus they've been around forever.

I knew that wit was going to go within minutes of posting. So glad you got it. I will live vicariously through you haha :)
I'm very interested in seeing how she grows up.

Moro is a hypo wit from dachiu, and as babies the hypo wits typically look very white like zeros, but as they age they get more of a warm natural color.
So if it's the same with your girl, I'd be interested in seeing if that color change with age makes her even more red, or if it dulls slightly.

Either way, she is stunning, and your sons dragon will be a real stunner too.

Geeze, just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited over this whole thing lol.

-Brandon

I've been looking at their website and there is a breeder dragon that's a pastel yellow and salmon color witblits that is beautiful. All of their adult dragons are impressive. My kids are such animal lovers and I'm so excited for them. This was so much better than toys lol. Spent more, but these animals will be in their lives for a decade or so and will bring a lot more enjoyment than toys. Maybe they'll develop a real love for them and breed them when they get older, who knows! It's really fun to see what colors and patterns get put out by breeders because each dragon is so unique. We don't do a lot of extracurricular activities like sports or dance, so I wanted a hobby my kids could get into at home.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby opaquelace » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:20 am

So turns out I live 45 min away from Fluker farms. This should make getting feeders super easy, but dubias are speedy. Anyone have any experience with dubia colonies? I’m worried about the allergy potential. If I handle with gloves and masks when doing maintenance we should be ok? Planning on keeping in my garage with the ceramic heat elements.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby ComicBookMama » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:21 pm

What little beauties you've picked out! They're so tiny and delicate looking. Can't wait to find out what their names are.

Wish I could advise on dubia colonies... but I haven't the time, patience, or stomach to grow my own feeders! I have heard that they can really aggravate asthma, so cleaning in a well ventilated area with a mask on is probably a good idea. Good luck! :D
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
User avatar
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 am
Location: New England, USA

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby Claudiusx » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:27 pm

If you are worried about it you can always just slowly expose yourself to them.

It's pretty rare from what I understand but taking preventive measures to avoid exposures and sensitivities won't hurt.
At first I would wear gloves when handling them, as I too was a bit worried when I first started with them. Now though, I just wash my hands.

When I do a clean up of the colony bin though, I wear latex gloves and a respirator. I used to do it without, but I've seen more and more people who have developed allergies to things from being constantly exposed to it. So i figured why not, takes no effort to wear a respirator and put on gloves, plus I'm sure my lungs thank me for not having to filter out a bunch of dusty bug poo.

I keep my colony in my dragon room in a closet.

As long as you keep up with it and don't let things get moldy or bad in it, they really are very easy to care for.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 19364
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus

Postby opaquelace » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:51 pm

claudiusx wrote:If you are worried about it you can always just slowly expose yourself to them.

It's pretty rare from what I understand but taking preventive measures to avoid exposures and sensitivities won't hurt.
At first I would wear gloves when handling them, as I too was a bit worried when I first started with them. Now though, I just wash my hands.

When I do a clean up of the colony bin though, I wear latex gloves and a respirator. I used to do it without, but I've seen more and more people who have developed allergies to things from being constantly exposed to it. So i figured why not, takes no effort to wear a respirator and put on gloves, plus I'm sure my lungs thank me for not having to filter out a bunch of dusty bug poo.

I keep my colony in my dragon room in a closet.

As long as you keep up with it and don't let things get moldy or bad in it, they really are very easy to care for.

-Brandon


I was thinking about keeping them in my garage. I could make an insulated rubbermaid with some tyvek between two of them with the CHE. I live in Louisiana so it’s never cold for long. And I could always bring them in if temperatures got too cold for a few days. Obviously they would be something I’d handle versus my kids. I’d just grab a few feeders and put in a Tupperware if they want to feed them themselves. A respirator and gloves sounds good to me. I’d much prefer that maintenance than having to go to the pet store often for feeders. My vet breeds super worms for their office bearded dragon because none of them can handle the roaches (grosses them out lol) so I’ll probably supplement with those. How do you clean your colony bin? Is it complicated?
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Beardie Tales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users