A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: They got so big!

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: growth spurt!

Postby opaquelace » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:30 am

So I panicked myself today lol. Gave the beardies a bath because I’m trying to get them to drink. They’re not receptive to a spray bottle or a dropper. I do spray down their greens and roaches though. Anywho, CandyCane was in the little tub and full on dove underwater head and all. I thought she was trying to drown herself lol. She’s not the biggest fan of baths. For some reason Wilbur, in all his feistiness, finds baths not so bad and even ate a horn worm during his. I did look up bathing on the forums and found that the diving with heads all the way underwater isn’t unusual and I shouldn’t panic. She did seem to like being wrapped up in the towel afterward and curled up all cozy. Anyway, when you guys bathe yours how long do you keep them in the water? Have they ever gone under? The water was shallow, couldn’t even cover their backs unless they pancaked.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby opaquelace » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:31 pm

CandyCane in all her chunky glory. This seems to be her new spot. Perfect temp, perfect distance from the UVB tube.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

Postby MariosDad » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:08 pm

So photogenic! CandyCane is gorgeous.
I love how they have favorite spots. I randomly added 2 pieces of wood to Mario's home literally hours before we got him, and they are his go-to spots when he isn't right on "Pride Rock," his basking spot.
Mario's Dad- 3 kids, 1 old dog (in our hearts, RIP Kibo), 2 barn cats, 6 chickens, and a new beardie named Mario!
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi there,

OMG, Wilbur is freaking amazing. You lucked out IMO on getting him especially for the price you pay. Breeders sometimes refer to these as the ones that got away. The dragons that developed into holdback/breeder quality. Wilbur is one of those IMO, by far. His colors are outstanding. And he's such a high quality leatherback too.

Not to take anything away from candycane, she is an amazing dragon too! Shoot, I'd take both of them if you let me :mrgreen: (don't tell my wife I'm even thinking about adding more lizards)

But really, I love Wilbur.

In regards to baths, it's really best not to let them go under IMO. Some dragons do ok with it, some don't. Here is a story about Moro and her bath scare if you have time:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249306

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby opaquelace » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:41 am

claudiusx wrote:Hi there,

OMG, Wilbur is freaking amazing. You lucked out IMO on getting him especially for the price you pay. Breeders sometimes refer to these as the ones that got away. The dragons that developed into holdback/breeder quality. Wilbur is one of those IMO, by far. His colors are outstanding. And he's such a high quality leatherback too.

Not to take anything away from candycane, she is an amazing dragon too! Shoot, I'd take both of them if you let me :mrgreen: (don't tell my wife I'm even thinking about adding more lizards)

But really, I love Wilbur.

In regards to baths, it's really best not to let them go under IMO. Some dragons do ok with it, some don't. Here is a story about Moro and her bath scare if you have time:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249306

-Brandon

I love leatherbacks. I think they're my favorite of any color lol. Wilbur has definitely colored up a lot, even more than his pictures from when we bought him. He's like a firecracker red orange, it's insane. Probably helps that his stress marks are gone too. I want a citrus tiger leatherback dunner one day.
I'm not sure why CandyCane is retaining her darkness. She's grey under her beard as well...I'm thinking it is a trans quality? Some days she's lighter than others. Not sure what makes a difference or not. She's been especially cranky lately unless you offer her food first then she lets you pet her, but otherwise she'll hiss. I think after the kids go to bed I'll start holding each of them for 15 minutes in these pocket blankets we have. It's a small little blanket with a bearded dragon sized pocket in it lol. We've all been sick at my house though so we've all just been laying about and watching TV. Perfect bearded dragon cuddle time (when the dog isn't hogging us that is).
Also that story makes me never want to bathe them again! I'm glad I followed my instinct and got CandyCane out. For right now I think they're well hydrated enough that I can hold off on baths until they're less frightened of all of us. At least for CandyCane. Wilbur is fine with them. They have excess water in their poop which I've read means they're well hydrated. And their roaches are gutloaded on roach feed as well as celery stalks and greens and those water crystals.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:50 am

It is a trans quality sometimes. Seemingly only for witblits and zeros though.

For instance, the hypo zeros usually look very white their whole lives. The trans zeros look pretty dark. Even the hypo trans zeros look dark, usually growing into a grey tone.

It will be very interesting to see how candycane develops.

Curiously, what UV source are you using with her?

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby opaquelace » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:31 am

claudiusx wrote:It is a trans quality sometimes. Seemingly only for witblits and zeros though.

For instance, the hypo zeros usually look very white their whole lives. The trans zeros look pretty dark. Even the hypo trans zeros look dark, usually growing into a grey tone.

It will be very interesting to see how candycane develops.

Curiously, what UV source are you using with her?

-Brandon

The reptisun 10.0 t5 uvb I believe.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

Postby opaquelace » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 am

Wilburs poor head is all shedding. But his appetite is still going strong lol.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby opaquelace » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Wilbur's backside floating in midair lol.
Both bearded dragons are doing well, and they're actually eating their greens. All of them. Currently waiting on an order of dubias and BSFL. Since they're some hungry monsters.

Also, I have a question about this on CandyCane's head. I know there is that "eye" in the center of their head, but if you look above and to the right of it she has some funny scales?
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

Re: A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: funny scales on Candy

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:09 pm

I would just keep an eye on it.

KPS is very well known for paradox dragons. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for Candycane to start paradoxing. But, more than likely it's nothing. So just keep and eye on it and see how things go :)

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby opaquelace » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Claudiusx wrote:I would just keep an eye on it.

KPS is very well known for paradox dragons. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for Candycane to start paradoxing. But, more than likely it's nothing. So just keep and eye on it and see how things go :)

-Brandon

K. I was trying to get a better picture of it but she's feisty and kept moving lol. I'm finding Wilbur to be the calmer one now. I do have to bring my dog in to get his internal stitches taken care of that keep popping out and I'll show my vet the picture. They have an in house beardie.
Her appetite is normal, her poop is normal, her cage is clean and her lights are great so. Who knows? Paradoxing would just be insane. Can they start this late? Idk how that works.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Well, it's definitely not something I'd be concerned with. So don't worry about it :)

Yes they can paradox late. I can't remember the IG handle now, but I believe KidsandDragons sold a seemingly normal looking baby to an unsuspecting buyer, and a few months later it paradoxed beautifully.

Still, rare, and probably not the case here, I was just bringing up a possibility, especially based on who you purchased from.

More than likely it's just a weird scale about to shed, or bug guts got on it, or she scraped it slightly. But still, nothing concerning to me at all :)

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby opaquelace » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:58 pm

Claudiusx wrote:Well, it's definitely not something I'd be concerned with. So don't worry about it :)

Yes they can paradox late. I can't remember the IG handle now, but I believe KidsandDragons sold a seemingly normal looking baby to an unsuspecting buyer, and a few months later it paradoxed beautifully.

Still, rare, and probably not the case here, I was just bringing up a possibility, especially based on who you purchased from.

More than likely it's just a weird scale about to shed, or bug guts got on it, or she scraped it slightly. But still, nothing concerning to me at all :)

-Brandon

Ok good because I was about to panic and going straight yellow fungus lol. I took a few more pictures. Put her in a beanie because she likes being held in them and brought her to the window lol.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Definitely not YF :D

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby opaquelace » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Claudiusx wrote:Definitely not YF :D

-Brandon

Phew lol. I'm thinking it is maybe a scrape. They've both been shedding and she scratches her head a lot on her branch.

Also, idk if you noticed, Wilbur's stripes turned a yellow/orange with this shed. They're no longer beige/cream. His throat is also getting more yellow/orange. I wonder what they'll look like grown up. It's crazy how much they change from one shed to the next.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Beardie Tales