A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a Zen and I love it and so does my dragon--- they are on back order as of now -- in fact I have one arriving today and it was ordered last month-------------- here is pic of what Hiccups looks like
97951-6618921375.jpg
97951-1410759176.jpg
Hope this helps
If you have a mom and pops pet store in town or some where near you you can inquire about bearded dragon breeders from them ---
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3dc1yej5 said:
I have a Zen and I love it and so does my dragon--- they are on back order as of now -- in fact I have one arriving today and it was ordered last month-------------- here is pic of what Hiccups looks like

Hope this helps
If you have a mom and pops pet store in town or some where near you you can inquire about bearded dragon breeders from them ---
Karrie
Oh awesome! I like the idea that it's not a glass 40 long, which I know is the size a lot of people recommend (at least minimum). We do have one mom and pop pet store, so I'll definitely check there. I'm trying to come up with a rough estimate for how much this will cost if we decide to get one. I don't want to go into this without having the right information. I think they have bearded dragons occasionally but most "pet" stores around here that are local focus mostly on fish. Maybe my husband and I will take a trip to Exotics by Nature which is just a few hours away.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure you read the care sheet under Articles Care and Husbandry --- it will give you lots of info its on the right side of page --you can visit this website for tank
www.zenhabitats.com --- sides and back are made of bamboo
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you are handy with basic power tools ( ie drill driver, jig saw, circular saw ) , consider building your own Zen type enclosure ( you'll get exactly what you want , and save yourself a stack of $ in the process ( $ that can be used to give the new spikey 4 legged child better lighting maybe ) .
I'd be using
1" hollow square aluminium tubing ( some suppliers will cut this to length on spec , "mill finish" looks OK)
CONNECTIT or QUBELOK plastic connectors ( they are very tight fitting and very strong , in the case of a reptile tank , the joins are strong and firm enough not to been rivets or screws to hold the metal to the plastic connectors - you'll bend the tube or break the connector before they can be pulled apart - if you want to be sure - 5 minute Araldite will do the job ).
and then all you need is some plywood cut to size and some 5mm thick glass cut to size and edge flamed ( to remove sharp edges ) and some plastic tracks.
You'll likely be able to assemble a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft enclosure with a proper solid timber ( plywood ) top and either glass or timber ( plywood ) or Perspex sides ( bearded dragons like to be able see the action ) and sliding glass (or Perspex) doors in a day.

Materials
sliding glass or Perspex door tracks
glass-sliding-doors.png

https://www.cowdroy.com.au/product/p02624-plastic-track-set

Vents ( you'll need 4 high on the warm end, 4 low on the cool end ), drill hole , slip in and use silastic to fix in position.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/160985134725?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=160985134725&targetid=469489763018&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9072216&poi=&campaignid=1793098937&mkgroupid=74958853368&rlsatarget=pla-469489763018&abcId=1139226&merchantid=107393709&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2M7wkODX5AIV1YRwCh0gSwsKEAQYASABEgKx_vD_BwE

Connectit joiner system : https://www.connect-it.cc/
1in-connectit-joiners.png

Your local glassier will cut glass to size.
Your local timber & h/ware shop will supply plywood ( I'd get marine ply, it's more resistant to and less absorbant )
Your local h/ware shop will have aluminium square tubes and will likely have Connectit or Qubelok connectors on hand as well suitable tracks for the glass or Perspex doors.

Tips
If you are worried about the weight if 25mm to 30mm thick plywood, consider using this only for the lid and base (where you need to support weight and need structural strength and near zero sagging , and use decorative wall lining sheet like Wall Art decorative plywood 2400mm x 1200mm x 3mm panels , these come in lots of "looks" and are easy cut with an electric jigsaw or use Perspex sheeting ( so the dragon gets a 180 degree view of the world) ).
Make the lid so it can be lifted off or has hinges on the back edge to allow easy fitment of the ceramic (high temperature e27 fittings for the basking globe and the CHE (if you are in cold area)) and the reflector hood for a 2ft or 3ft long T5ho 12% or 14% UVB tube (will also facilitate replacing globes and tubes and cleaning)
Avoid any tank that has a mesh lid or no lid.
Lay ceramic floor tiles ( loosely = no grout no glue ) on the floor as the substrate, OK to lay absorbant paper towels overtop this , some people place lino under the tiles to help keep the tank structure clean.
A domestic inline clock type or digital lamp timer is an excellent investment ( I set my lights to come on at 6am and switch off at 9pm ).
A powerboard with 6 to 8 outlets is a good idea , you'll eventually want more reptilian pets.
If you are going to use a MVB , these are an excellent basking globe BUT can not be operated and controlled via a dimmer, if you are anticipating needing to adjust the heat output of basking globe , a domestic halogen or incandescent flood globe ( colorless ) is a good approach and can be dimmed .
If you are going to use a CHE overnight or to supplement the basking globe's heat output, I suggest you close the loop by controlling both as shown below :
viv-circuitry-generalised-schematic.png

Aim for a basking spot temperature NO HOTTER than 40 degC.
Aim for a warm zone temperature about 35 degC.
Aim for a cool zone temperature about 28-30 degC.
Aim for about 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot ( no less than UV-Index 6 at the basking spot ).

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Definitely not much of a DIYer, which is why the zen habitats look more appealing than the other ones. I’ll definitely keep it in mind for my husband though, see what he thinks he can do. He works so much though. Another question, how do dragons do with dogs, we have a Jack Russell pit bull mix who is the biggest baby and spoiled rotten. Was just wondering if dragons are typically ok around dogs? I’m sure it also depends on the doggy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We have had several accidents w/ baby dragons and dogs on here w/ in the last couple of months --- and they did not turn out good --- first the dog will stress the dragon out ---- and depending on the dog it will haft to be up to you to watch the behavior of the dog --- I myself would keep the dog out of the room or away from the dragon --- but please dont isolate the dragon from activity they are curious and are a social animal -- cats are not good as well ---- I have cats and all mine are used to my dragons but I never leave them unattended w/ the cats -- EVER !! My tanks are set up in a way that the cats cannot get on top of the tanks nor beside them or any where near the tanks --- so it will be up to you just be warned dogs are a threat or can be a threat to the dragon ---
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":314f6zup said:
We have had several accidents w/ baby dragons and dogs on here w/ in the last couple of months --- and they did not turn out good --- first the dog will stress the dragon out ---- and depending on the dog it will haft to be up to you to watch the behavior of the dog --- I myself would keep the dog out of the room or away from the dragon --- but please dont isolate the dragon from activity they are curious and are a social animal -- cats are not good as well ---- I have cats and all mine are used to my dragons but I never leave them unattended w/ the cats -- EVER !! My tanks are set up in a way that the cats cannot get on top of the tanks nor beside them or any where near the tanks --- so it will be up to you just be warned dogs are a threat or can be a threat to the dragon ---
Karrie

Yea that’s the main thing that concerns me. Our dog is a pretty mellow guy but I have no idea how he’d react to another animal. And he’s never created either and I’d hate to have to start crating him while we leave because of the addition of dragons. Obviously for a long time while the bearded dragon is out the dog would be up. I don’t want this to be a statement animal but a pet, and I wouldn’t get another animal that could drastically upset the balance of the house so that’s another thing to consider. I did go to petco today to see what they had and how big the baby dragons are and they’re TINY. So I’d probably look into getting an adult.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":14db094n said:
Definitely not much of a DIYer, which is why the zen habitats look more appealing than the other ones. I’ll definitely keep it in mind for my husband though, see what he thinks he can do. He works so much though. Another question, how do dragons do with dogs, we have a Jack Russell pit bull mix who is the biggest baby and spoiled rotten. Was just wondering if dragons are typically ok around dogs? I’m sure it also depends on the doggy.

I think it's more apt to ask, are dogs typically okay around dragons? :)

Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't trust even a very mellow dog around an uncaged dragon; you never know what will trigger a prey response in a dog, and you just don't ever want to take that sort of chance. And Karrie is right - the same goes double for cats, who typically have a much stronger prey drive and can inflict serious damage on a dragon with claws and teeth, both of which can introduce some nasty bacteria into the wound.

That said, a lot of us have both dogs and dragons, cats and dragons, or both and dragons. My own dog Ariel, a Pom/Spitz mix, is VERY interested in my dragon Figment, parking herself in front of the tank and gazing up at him, making groaning / "mooing" noises and occasionally raising up on her hind legs for a better view. Figment is still new to me, so I'm still getting used to his "tells," but he doesn't seem at all stressed by the presence of the dog watching him - or my cat, either, when Skimble comes into the room. He just sits on his branch, occasionally cocking his head and looking down at them, but I don't let either animal into the computer room where Figment is kept unless someone is there, too.

I love the idea of a dragon from Santa! I feel for you trying to time everything to be ready for the big day, though. Maybe you could have the hab under the tree with this plush dragon inside as a sort of placefiller? https://www.amazon.com/Bearded-Drag...761930&sprefix=plush+bearded+d,aps,138&sr=8-3 Sorry for the long URL; stoopid Amazon! :roll:

Add in a bearded dragon book and a letter from Santa explaining that because Beardies wouldn't do well on the cold Christmas sleigh, he'll be having one delivered specially after Christmas. That would take the pressure of having to get the dragon to you on Christmas Eve and get the whole hab set up without anyone noticing... you'd also get your pick of breeders who ship that way, if you can't find anyone locally. I know some folks have had issues with her, and I can't personally recommend her as a breeder since I got my dragon elsewhere, but if you want to see some glorious yellow dragons, check out Terri Sommella's Fire and Ice Dragons - her Super Citrus morphs are definitely something! http://www.fireandicedragons.com/gallery.cfm

Good luck with your planning and budgeting - you've come to the right place for advice, as everyone here is super friendly and exceptionally well informed!

~Chris

Highly recommend Zen Habitats. I've had my beardie in one since December, and just got a new one for my blue tongue skink today. Great quality and you can't beat them for the price.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":1vvefsff said:
opaquelace":1vvefsff said:

I think it's more apt to ask, are dogs typically okay around dragons? :)

Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't trust even a very mellow dog around an uncaged dragon; you never know what will trigger a prey response in a dog, and you just don't ever want to take that sort of chance. And Karrie is right - the same goes double for cats, who typically have a much stronger prey drive and can inflict serious damage on a dragon with claws and teeth, both of which can introduce some nasty bacteria into the wound.

That said, a lot of us have both dogs and dragons, cats and dragons, or both and dragons. My own dog Ariel, a Pom/Spitz mix, is VERY interested in my dragon Figment, parking herself in front of the tank and gazing up at him, making groaning / "mooing" noises and occasionally raising up on her hind legs for a better view. Figment is still new to me, so I'm still getting used to his "tells," but he doesn't seem at all stressed by the presence of the dog watching him - or my cat, either, when Skimble comes into the room. He just sits on his branch, occasionally cocking his head and looking down at them, but I don't let either animal into the computer room where Figment is kept unless someone is there, too.

I love the idea of a dragon from Santa! I feel for you trying to time everything to be ready for the big day, though. Maybe you could have the hab under the tree with this plush dragon inside as a sort of placefiller? https://www.amazon.com/Bearded-Drag...761930&sprefix=plush+bearded+d,aps,138&sr=8-3 Sorry for the long URL; stoopid Amazon! :roll:

Add in a bearded dragon book and a letter from Santa explaining that because Beardies wouldn't do well on the cold Christmas sleigh, he'll be having one delivered specially after Christmas. That would take the pressure of having to get the dragon to you on Christmas Eve and get the whole hab set up without anyone noticing... you'd also get your pick of breeders who ship that way, if you can't find anyone locally. I know some folks have had issues with her, and I can't personally recommend her as a breeder since I got my dragon elsewhere, but if you want to see some glorious yellow dragons, check out Terri Sommella's Fire and Ice Dragons - her Super Citrus morphs are definitely something! http://www.fireandicedragons.com/gallery.cfm

Good luck with your planning and budgeting - you've come to the right place for advice, as everyone here is super friendly and exceptionally well informed!

~Chris
That's a wonderful idea. I got a snake from Santa when I was about the same age and I asked my mom how she hid it she said she had it in her closet in its terrarium lol. Cornsnakes aren't as high maintenance though. I want to purchase from Draggintails most likely, and I'm going to try to get in touch with her soon to see if its possible to purchase one before holidays but wait until after for shipment.

I see everyone talking about keeping bearded dragons in separate enclosures, but is it possible to keep two females together? My daughter seems to want one as well, and I'd hate to get just one and have them fuss over it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is not recommended --- dragons are territorial --- if you want to get 2 I would suggest double of everything -- or they can share the responsibility of the one and take turns feeding and spending time w/ it --- think of it as double the love for the beardie!! :D
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2wv9igso said:
It is not recommended --- dragons are territorial --- if you want to get 2 I would suggest double of everything -- or they can share the responsibility of the one and take turns feeding and spending time w/ it --- think of it as double the love for the beardie!! :D
Karrie

I would prefer just one lol. The idea of two large enclosures and two animals stresses me out a bit too much. I think they'd be fine with just one, but they're twins. I have one who would be very interested in the science of taking care of a bearded dragon, and one who would just want to cuddle it, so they'd probably each have their own relationship with it.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":2tnuvs4y said:
I would prefer just one lol. The idea of two large enclosures and two animals stresses me out a bit too much. I think they'd be fine with just one, but they're twins. I have one who would be very interested in the science of taking care of a bearded dragon, and one who would just want to cuddle it, so they'd probably each have their own relationship with it.

If you find they MUST each have their own lizard, you could add a leopard gecko to the family. Not as intelligent or curious as a beardie, but very pretty (tons of morphs) and easy to handle. A 10-20 gallon tank would do nicely for one. They’re nocturnal, so they don’t need UVB lighting and would be up and about after school hours. I started out with leopard geckos when I couldn’t afford a bearded dragon.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":zeuo7rkp said:
I did go to petco today to see what they had and how big the baby dragons are and they’re TINY. So I’d probably look into getting an adult.

That's a really great idea. Granted, breeder babies are usually sold when they're "well started" and eating regularly, and are bigger than the Petco dragons (which are remarkably tiny; I get nervous just looking at them - though I got my Figment from a Petco and he was already about 9" long, so older dragons can be found there), but there are definite plusses to getting a young adult right off the bat, if the breeder has a few holdbacks. Not having to feed it 2-3x daily is a big one, knowing what color you've got, knowing the personality, and having a dragon who's probably out of the "EEEK! Big things gonna eat me!" phase when you want to hold it is definitely a benefit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom