Spike shenron and coral (BD) with Odin and frigg (AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spike and Shenron are my two bearded dragons and this is going to be a update post starting out with my male bearded dragon Shenron is a yellow citrus hypermelanistic and is a very beautiful dragon Spike is a Sandstone color gray with gold markings on her legs unless she's upset and then she doesn't show off her gold color LOL Shenron was born in November and Spike was born most likely in early September when I got her she was no bigger than the side of Pinky I got Shin on a few months ago from Cliffhanger reptiles very good reader Shenron is like I said before a hypo melanistic yellow citrus dragon but he also has the het Gene for translucent and the leatherback I do not know the genetics of Spike trying to find out a way where I can find out if anybody knows I would definitely appreciate it but here are some photos up-to-date ones I will continue to update this post as they grow older and they will be paired off and I will sell off their babies so you will get to see the little babies when they are ready in a year or two
102593-2951021786.jpg
this is Spike
102593-8816440710.jpg
and this is Shenron Shenron is in a 40-gallon breeder it is a temporary tank why is 120 gallon tank is being prepared spike is already in her permanent home a 120 Carolina cage I like large enclosures for my dragons she has a bioactive enclosure and so will Shenron Spike has a theme of a forest floor Shenron will have the theme of a rocky outcrop just stay tuned to this post and you will see many more pictures of Shenron and Spike and feel free to share your dragons 2 would love to see them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It will be good to have a place to keep a record of their progress and share their adventures. I love the enclosures you've put together for them.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
102593-2926670551.jpg
102593-4581333641.jpg
102593-4903351823.jpg
it's been a long time since I posted any update but here are some Shenron is finally in his permanent enclosure he's been in it for a good bit of time. The area that I live is awfully cold and both of my bearded dragons are spell in brumation it is frustrating but I do take them to the vet make sure that they are healthy but recently both of them have been starting to become more active so I think what the weather is starting to finally warm up that they're coming out of brumation.
102593-3288882827.jpg
my original bearded dragon Spike she seems to have stopped or slowed down and growing at 19 in Shenron is just about at 18 inches the two of them have such polar opposite personalities spike is very hyperactive and when she wants out of the enclosure and you don't get her out quick enough she will start to dig at the front of it I think she thinks that she can escape doing that LOL but Shenron he has the nickname of bump on a log for a reason he just sits there most of the day especially if I'm doing some work in my room on the computer and just stares into my soul until food is introduced that he slightly tilted head LOL that is his effort for the day Shenron always eats his bugs perfectly fine but getting him to eat his salad is always a pain in the butt but Spike will eat all the food that is provided to the point that I had to cut back a little bit where she was getting a little overweight but now she's perfectly fine if any of you have experience with picky eater dragons I would love to hear some of the solutions that you came up with it would definitely help out. As some of you may know I am slowly working towards having my own shop braiding my own animals I'm currently looking around for a breeder that is close by because I plan on getting a female red bearded dragon and a second male bearded dragon always on the look for a paradox but I haven't decided precisely what I want to have for him eventually I will be breeding bearded dragons I work at a zoo and I'm slowly doing less and less there as I'm getting ready to commit to doing my own shop during the summer I will be getting some ackie monitors some red yellows what are some very interesting pattern potential the breeder I've been talking to his expecting the clutch most likely around the summertime as soon as the weather warms up where he is the ackie monitors that I will be getting will be in a single 8 foot enclosure I'll be getting one male and two females that will be their adult enclosure and I just want to give them plenty of space of my bearded dragons are kept in 119 gallon tanks so I always like giving as much space as possible but I have been recently considering giving both of them 8-foot enclosures as well and just making a stack display but that just depends on how much funds that I can spare for the project might be something for further down the line but when I get the ackie monitors or whenever I get the next pair of bearded dragons I plan on making a post that I will keep updated very regularly I'll be calling at the Dragons Den or something crazy like that LOL but hopefully by the end of the year I will have two new bearded dragons my ackie monitors and Spike and Shenron will have one or two clutches under their belts if anybody has any suggestions for beardie names for the two new ones I haven't decided yet I usually think of the names in advance or if anybody wants to point me in a possible direction or has any suggestions for a type of bearded dragon for the second male that I will be getting I will definitely appreciate it. And if you're all interested I'll post photos of my ackie monitors along with my bearded dragons whenever I get them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to see an update on your crew. It's good that they are starting to wake up a bit. They may act a bit hyper for a while after they wake up and that's normal. They may also not be too interested in food for a bit until they slow down again. As far as picky eating goes, try offering different foods. Hand feeding often helps and allows you to create some movement that gets their attention. Cutting squash into worm shapes is a hit with Darwin. Please feel free to post photos of your ackie monitors too. Definitely welcome here as well =)

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I keep my two bearded dragons and my two ackie monitors spoilers in bioactive setups and all of them are friving. First let's start with Spike
102593-1864988483.jpg
102593-5259381123.jpg
102593-780056576.jpg
102593-4684712593.jpg
spike is finally coming out of brumation as it has been very cold in my area not a bad winter but the temperature just hasn't come up until fairly recently she loves to dig in her enclosure though she likes to spend most of her time underneath of her basking spot she can get underneath and go into the shade onto the ground or go directly on top Jennifer hides goes in and out of that area and she will use it to play Ninja she has been known to come out and just immediately run up my hand and arm and plant yourself at her favorite spot on my head. When she's not actively running around her cage she's usually spending most of the time watching me whenever I'm sitting at my computer doing my work or if I'm laying down in my bed if I get lower where she can't see she will slowly raise her head up and then go back down whenever I get back to her normal ilvl it's cute.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Next to Shenron the yellow Eternal dragon my male dragon he's an interesting yellow banana that also doubles as a bump on the log he likes to get to the highest place in his enclosure and then just watch over all of it or if he's going for his nap he goes underneath of his little house of wood that I made for him and he sleeps inside of it he also likes to dig burrows anytime that I take him out of the enclosure and put him on the floor it is like a countdown timer before he began the running all over the place actively having to close range bloop everything and claimed it as his and of course when he's not showing off to spike he's usually very calm he will run off and he will stop and look towards the doorway and he'll wait for me to pop my head out I'll be looking giving the look of are you following me human lol. I only have one problem with him and he is an incredibly picky eater and he's been this way ever since I got him getting him to eat his salad is like pulling teeth and sometimes it's just hard to get him to eat at all I have had him checked out before and have been told multiple times that there's nothing wrong with him he's just very stubborn.
102593-406574393.jpg
102593-9445376936.jpg
102593-1533328495.jpg
102593-9885877408.jpg

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
And here is part 3 of 3 this will also serve as an introduction to Odin and frigg who are they are you may ask well I will tell you the first I have to give a warning cuteness overload the following photos may cause a cuteness overload and may cause your heart to melt.
102593-2684544139.jpg
102593-5251426408.jpg
102593-8725522128.jpg
102593-7337428513.jpg
102593-7877208139.jpg
102593-7244945061.jpg
102593-8864536774.jpg
they are my hatchling ackie monitors frigg is the female and she is marked with a red mark. And Odin is of course the male they are both highly active eating and very inquisitive and intelligent I originally had them in Spike sold a 20 gallon cage but they both quickly figured out that they could use the old glue that was on the side to climb up to where the screen was and take a leap out of the cage and I did not want them to hurt themselves so today I ended up running down and getting a 20 gallon enclosure with front opening doors unfortunately it is a Zillow enclosure which I very much dislike them but it was either that or wait for a good while for another enclosure and being that it's only a temporary until warmer weather and I put together there 8-foot enclosure it is an 8 foot long by 2 foot wide 3 ft tall when they get big enough they will go straight into that and that will be their permanent home they are Simply Adorable. Monitor lizards have always been my passion and I have worked with them for a very long time I've had plenty of opportunities of getting ackie monitors in the past but I wanted to make sure I had everything that I would need for them and now that time has finally come. My next major thing is to get an incubator or make one myself just depends on what I decide to do after the current situation with the coronavirus goes over I will be able to get my license to legally sell reptiles and I will be starting with bearded dragons and ackie monitors still thinking about a third species possibly a semi-aquatic reptile.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So first I would like to apologize for anybody who has been checking on the thread wanting some updates on my scaly familywe did have an issue where our homes power pole fell down but it's been fixed and it didn't cause any issues luckily there was no damage. I was planning on sending out another wave of photos I have the ackie monitors in there 8-foot enclosure it is a melamine boa master enclosure that is 8 ft by 3 by 3 it's big enough for actually six of them but I like giving more than enough space. they're becoming more trusting of me and our interactions are becoming more common and luckily I haven't been nipped buy one yet lol. My bearded dragons are doing okay I'm wondering if any of you happen to know can you post a reply to this particular part of if I was go ahead and let spy Kenshin run read would I be able to sell their hatchlings individually two different people without a business license unfortunately with the whole covid-19 even though it's tough opening back up the state has it on a low priority to get my business license. But they are doing great they are ready to go I just need to make the incubators which I was going to do that whenever I'm actually ready to start selling. I was going to post some new images I might do that later today of the beardies but for the ackie monitors I'm thinking of putting two boards of some sort or maybe a small piece of plywood to make it so I can actually make some pretty deep substrate ackie monitors are a type of species that loves to dig and I just want to get them in deeper area to do so so I might hold off on showing off their new enclosure. but I might just go ahead and show you what they have right now. After they both come out of their burrows I will update with some new photos of them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looking forward to the new photos =). I wish I could help regarding the rules of selling the hatchlings. I would imagine that varies between states and even perhaps among different counties. Might be a federal license of some kind to sell across state lines. I'm not sure if there are rules regarding sale value or volume that need to be considered. If nobody has any ideas I'd check with the WV government website for information first.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So it's finally here the update I know some of you who are wanting to see my updates probably think that Half-Life 3 might come out before I give an update sometimes but fear not here is an update. So we had a pretty big rearrangement the ackie monitors are in an 8ft enclosure and Spike and shenrons enclosures are both on top of the 8-foot enclosure. I have also recently rescued a bearded dragon from very bad treatment at the PetSmart that I went to go and get food from.
102593-8878079648.jpg
102593-9397545387.jpg
starting out with Spike she is the first bearded dragon that I got and her enclosure is honestly kind of just thrown together I couldn't make up my mind of what I wanted to do with it so I kind of made it into a jungle gym she certainly gets her exercise from it.
102593-40715435.jpg
102593-8542824201.jpg
appnexus shenron he thinks he owns the whole house and I would have to agree with him we live with him not the other way around LOL he has finally stopped trying to kill the ackie monitors they have finally got to the size where they can't be eaten.
102593-3672399968.jpg
102593-6639640699.jpg
next is coral like I mentioned in her introduction post PetSmart was keeping her in very bad conditions they didn't even have water for her the lights of the animals enclosures were all flickering non-stop giving a strobe light affect the minimum required temperatures were nowhere near what they had to have been I just couldn't in good faith leave her there.
102593-9725613598.jpg
102593-2372913352.jpg
102593-595746641.jpg
this is the cool side frigg photobombed.
102593-5956991590.jpg
and this is the hot. They are growing quite impressively Odin is getting very close to 19 in in overall length I'm looking for him to become easily 25 plus in frigg is overall smaller it's normal for red ackie is for the female to be smaller she is just pushing 15 inches in length she'll probably be around 24 in a fully grown. I will probably put some boards in the 8-foot enclosure along the doorway and then raise the overall death of the dirt up to where you see the basking platform on the hot side. they extremely like to dig and I didn't realize how much that they would actually do so so I want to give them some more I will probably very the Malaysian Driftwood on the cool side since it has a pretty big burrow underneath of itthat way they can dig down to it and have that old burro I'm thinking about it I don't know if I actually will but I might really spoil them and order material from the outback they come from the red center so it might be nice to have that as their top layer where I might just get more of what I usually do haven't decided yet. and all of the enclosures I put some sycamore Berg down in the bottom for biodegradable purposes shenron I have as a fallen tree so all of his back area is hollow and it's just a big house for him. in the Attic enclosure whenever I do eventually do to raise the dirt level I will probably bury their old plastic home so they have a place to make a den without it collapsing in on them whenever I go into do maintenance by accidentthey're more than strong enough to dig themselves out without any issue but I notice any time that I do not want over they both get mad and go back digging into the den and then they give me evil looks like I'm a home-wrecker or something LOL right now I'm looking at the supplies and getting ready to put Coral out of isolation luckily she has not been hurt or any negative effects from being in that bad area so I will give her 40 gallon tank the same treatment I do if my other animals and whenever she gets closer 2 adulthood I will probably upgrade her to a hundred and 20 gallon tank the same as Spike and shenron.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So here's a little bit of an update no photos to go this time started giving my ackie monitors a little bit of fish beginning of the month I gave them some salmon here at the end of the month I'm giving them a little bit of tuna with a lot of calcium powder grinded up working into a pace at a little bit of the calcium powder so it be mixed into it both of them eat it like there's no tomorrow. my newest bearded dragon Coral is getting brighter in color slowly bright orange with some red highlights if I am not mistaken I believe that is a Scarlet when it comes to the color. Odin and frigg my ackie monitors they have gotten to the length of 20in for Odin 17 or 18-in for frigg hard to get her to hold stillI'm looking for both of them to become decent size probably 24 inches for her and 26 in + for him he is a big ackie they were born on February 4th so they will be 6 months old on the 4th.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just thought I would share some photos of Odin and frigg having some fish gave them some tuna. They don't get it very often but when I do give it to them I usually take a lot of calcium powder and work it into the fish. If anybody is interested just let me know and I can tell you some interesting home remedies or if anybody wants any advice about monitor lizards in general.
102593-4098048811.jpg
102593-8334170887.jpg
102593-5712376838.jpg
102593-8097204645.jpg
102593-4169940208.jpg

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So here is a little bit of an update. My third bearded dragon Coral which I thought was female is actually a little boy not the little girl. I thought I saw the bombs but since they weren't very pronounced I assume that he is a she so now I probably have a gender confused dragon LOL. Next is the ackie monitors Odin and frigg I have been considering separating the two of them just the keep down the possibility of eggs until I am ready it's just a debate next month she can begin producing clutches possibly. Odin has surpassed 20 in he's only 6 months old going on seven he is big for an ackie monitor at this age. They have both shifted color since they were younger frigga's still darker more of a dark red Odin who was always more of the brighter one he has turned into more of a bright rust red. he has also retained his yellow markings on the upper part of his neck and they kind of now go down to his side's where it's more of a yellowish red before reaching his white belly. Spike has finally stopped growing she is just a little over 20 in long. Unfortunately shenron has stop at just under 18 in I hear that is common with dragons that have traits of multiple morphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom