How I Became Mama Pancake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'll start off with saying I never owned a beardie or ever wanted to until recently. This will be a pretty long story about how I ended up with my poor little Sir Pancake.
My brother and his girlfriend moved in with me about three months ago. Along with them came a bearded dragon named Toothless. They've had him for a little over four years and took him off the hands of a friend when he was about a year and a half. So he's probably around 6 now. He was very very small for his age with they took him in, about half the size he should have been. The friend only fed him iceberg lettuce and a cricket here or there as he grew. So poor little Toothless had a rough start at life. When my brother took him in they got him to grow twice the size with a lot more crickets and care. But over the years less and less care was given. Unfornately Toothless was right back where he started, eating only romain lettuce this time and crickets here or there.
Him being in the living room I started to notice he would get fed only when someone remembered, sometimes twice a week, and again only lettuce. So I started grabbing the lettuce and feeding him every morning. The lettuce would run out and my brother would take days to buy more. Recently it ran out again and I went to buy it myself. They were out of romain so I looked up what else he could eat. I then stood in the produce section for a good half hour on my phone realizing just how bad this little dude had it. Shocked I grabbed collard greens, zucchini, blue berries, kale, and bell peppers (each color) I may have gone a bit over board but I felt the need to make up for everything he should have been eating for 6 plus years. After about a week with his new food he has decided he doesn't like zucchini, kale or any any bell pepper thats not red (loooves the red ones)
Well my bro and his girlfriend noticed how much care I was putting in and simply asked, "Do you want him?" And now here I am a mother of a dragon lol he is reborn with a second chance at life with the name Sir Pancake. We have a long way to go, getting his tank setup more properly, starting a dubia roach colony under it, and being handled. He was barely ever held and gets a bit black when I touch him. I will be asking some questions soon but for now he'll be way better off then he's ever been. I have no idea how he's alive or if he'll live a long life due to terrible care. I want to get him into the veterinarian for wellness check up once things settle down and money is better. I'll leave a few pictures of him.
102259-719309524.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad he found his way to you and you're able to give him a nice healthy diet. That will help a lot. Based on the photo it looks like he is nice and healthy so keep focusing on offering a variety of veges. Try cutting the squash into rectangle/worm shapes and see if that goes over better (I have great luck with that trick). He will only need bugs once or twice per week. What does he have in place for lighting? It might be worth getting him a nice T5 UVB tube if you can. Good UVB exposure makes a big difference too. Since he doesn't look to be in critical condition by any means I think just getting him used to a nice balanced diet with lots of variety and providing him with high quality UVB will make the biggest difference in the long run. Please let us know if you have any specific questions about his care and we'll be glad to help.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Welcome to you and beautiful Pancake :)
I’m a new mama to my boy too, Marlow, who is almost a year old. He too was small for his age at only 11” at almost 10months old. 2months on and he is a good 15.5”!
I’m so glad you found lots of info on the proper feeding and realised the mistakes that were being made :)
Since others have already given so feeding suggestions and the best type of uvb (as Cooperdragon said t5 uvb is the best ) for Pancake I’ll just give a bit of advice on the sand as his substrate - sand is quite dangerous as it can it can cause impaction
A better option would be to remove it and use paper towel for now until you get something else.
Tile works great for many here. I use linoleum- the type that’s on a roll not the self adhesive ( the glue on self adhesive is not safe ) as it’s easier to cut to fit with just a ruler and craft knife needed. It’s easy to clean up mess or poop on too.

Again, welcome to both of you and I’m glad pancake has a great home now :)

MamaPancake

Original Poster
Hey guys, so concerning the substrate. I'm going with the diy plan to have vinyl and put a layer of aquarium safe silicone on it and put sand all over it so he has grip but cant eat it. My concern is I did buy the kind that has the sticky side underneath but I never plan on taking the paper stuck to it off so its not exposed. I have three pieces which will make clean up easy if I have to pull it out. Let me know if this is safe or should I get different linoleum or vinyl without the adhesive. I'll just use the pieces I have on the back of the tank for a background. (Outerside of the glass)

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
You’ll need one without the adhesive as the warmth of tank heats it and sets of toxins
I would get one with a slight texture to it rather than adding texture with sand. The sand over time bits would still become loose, it will hold bacteria and be harder to clean
You also don’t need to silicone the Lino in , just cut it to fit and sit it in :) that way you can easily change it out for a new piece in a year or so as needed or if he does end up getting coccidia at any point it’s easy to take it out for either a new piece or to run a steamer over it

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Welcome, from one Pancake owner to another :lol:

It's a good thing you noticed the inconsistent feeding schedule, and it sounds like you are very dedicated to helping him out :) He's a very lucky beardie!

MamaPancake

Original Poster
So I came across the exo sand mat, what is your guys opinion on these? Also my brother has a coconut mat in there as well right now, I'm wondering if I should throw this out?
And regarding lighting I have two basking bulbs in a double heat lamp on one end and a small Reptisun 5.0 UVB 2u-13w AC 120v/80Hz on the other side.I don't know what kind of basking lights they are though. This is the way my brother has it set up but I know I need more UVB. Would anyone be willing to leave a link to exactly what kind? I get nervous at the thought of buying the wrong one and wasting my money lol cause money is tight right now.
Thanks for all the help!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
First - congrats on saving your boy! He looks great considering his rough start!

Secondly - for substrate - I use ceramic tile (I had enough pieces left over from as floor we did), I've seen people use things as simple as newspaper, to as complicated as you can get. Whatever you do use, make sure it doesn't give off toxic fumes, he can't eat it, and he can't hurt himself on it. I've eyed a sand mat, but honestly, I don't see the point. In the wild, beardies live in a scrub land where they can dig, but the ground is hard (not sandy). I've heard that the tunnelling dirt is good if you want something more natural (but again, depending on what site you go on, you get conflicting views no matter what you use). My vet had a rescued beadie that just passed this year at about 14 or 15 years and lived on sand all that time - never had an issue with impaction but you just never know...(my vet found her in an alleyway one day and had to do a crash course in her care).

MamaPancake

Original Poster
Sir Pancake out of cage for the first time in about a year! He's like a little adventurer. He's running around licking everything he can and he seems very attracted to white things? Lol I think he's enjoying this as much as I am!
102259-9016266418.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom