Ouros Update November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still about 16" and decent size, running into a few issues. I only feed 10 roaches twice a day now and try to keep some Freeze Dried Nutrigrubs available. I am resorted to making "Turkey Worms" (I make worms out of ground turkey mixed with his supplements and extruded through a icing bag into worm shapes and cooked) and always keeping salad of chard or collards in a bowel. I found he goes nuts for chopped blueberries as a treat.
When out of feeders, and nutrigrubs I have to semi force feed the turkey after he refused to eat for 2 days and started dropping weight. I say semi cause it happened by accident, He kept on trying run up the side of the tank and I tapped him on the back of the head telling him NO, he turned opened his mouth and started hissing and thumping his tail and I sort of just found I could put pieces of food in his open mouth and he would then eat them....hostile feeding but it beats him starving himself and being stubborn.
Actually found he can be fed crickets this way....he is scared to death of them but if I get them close with the tweezers he will run into a corner and open his mouth hissing tail thumping til I pop them in his open mouth then he swallows them.

I do have a question, is there a way to get him to eat without these negative and hostile actions? I hate for him to start fearing me. I keep trying to get food, make money, etc....heck even trying to find someone to rehome him with for a bit that can feed him. Without the Farmers Market I have no extra income.

I also wish I could afford a bigger tank, the consistent glass running...he needed a larger container then this 40gal. I put reptihammocks on the sides so he can climb up the glass on two sides and a hung a homemade hammock from the screen top for extra living space.

I do have some fun stories, I let him out while I was walking around, he followed me 60 feet down the hallway into the bathroom and started climbing up the stairs to the bathtub.....I let him have a warm bath where I fill the tub with a inch in one end and he can wade into or stay on the dry side. Good day there.

My house last week was quite cold but he wanted out, I let him sit with me on the couch while I was sitting there and he cuddles up with me trying to get under my back side where it was warm....I thought it was cute. Again can not afford to run the heater other then the ones in his tank so the rest of my house dropped to 40-50F last week. Not to worry his tank was 72 on the cold side and 110 on the hot side on the basking rock.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 16'' he might be OK and just not need more food. If he is maintaining his weight (a drop over a couple of days isn't usually a problem - it's the longer trends to watch) then he may just require less food which happens. I like your idea of making worm shapes out of the food. I do the same with cooked sweet potato rolled into worms and I cut squash into worm shapes as well. It might be worth trying if you have those on hand. I'd just offer the food rather than forcing it. If you offer a treat he likes, he's probably less likely to have a negative reaction to it in the long run.

76248-9983280538.jpg

76248-8658701903.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom