Marlow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Jaspersmama":3io3tz0a said:
It’s been 2 weeks today since our family grew by 1, our food cost over doubled and our love for beardies began

And yes, I meant our food bill doubled ! the cost of insects in NZ is a lot more here than most from what I’ve been told

Anyway, Marlow has been a character and a half and I thought I would share some snaps of him from the last two weeks for those who love seeing dragon photos
101427-6979567623.jpg
101427-7104306761.jpg
101427-5254581086.jpg
101427-8911908255.jpg
101427-1629651427.jpg
101427-837021680.jpg

This was first home
101427-8779720561.jpg

An angel!! Precious!!
Also yeah over in NZ it's super expensive and I haven't even been there.. My friend made a mistake of taking her Leo there and giving the little guy a staple diet of crickets lol (crickets are pretty expensive there from what I've heard

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Adorable little guy! ? Such a cutie. :) I Hope he does well for Y'all. :D

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yep all insects are - it’s ridiculous really , like $40 for 25 - and you never get that many , some cost even more
We paid $30 for some soldier fly larvae and there were only about 8 still alive in the container

Upon googling ( and searching past posts on here) I see its common for people in NZ to have to substitute with repashy grub pie so I’m getting some in a couple of days so that will cut cost a lot. We use a lot of canned insects too - not the freeze dried kind - jurassi crickets and dragon fly larvae plus flukers crickets and grasshoppers. They are $20 a can and I get 2 -3 days from a can
I’m also lucky we got Marlow a bit older as he doesn’t need as many insects as a baby does.

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Jaspersmama":yhaerhfm said:
Yep all insects are - it’s ridiculous really , like $40 for 25 - and you never get that many , some cost even more
We paid $30 for some soldier fly larvae and there were only about 8 still alive in the container

Upon googling ( and searching past posts on here) I see its common for people in NZ to have to substitute with repashy grub pie so I’m getting some in a couple of days so that will cut cost a lot. We use a lot of canned insects too - not the freeze dried kind - jurassi crickets and dragon fly larvae plus flukers crickets and grasshoppers. They are $20 a can and I get 2 -3 days from a can
I’m also lucky we got Marlow a bit older as he doesn’t need as many insects as a baby does.

Jeez!! It's only $6-10 here for 24-35 crickets!! New Zealand we need to talk-

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Xanelic":3cyv76xd said:
Jaspersmama":3cyv76xd said:

Lol I was about to say the same thing.. it only gets around $40 when you order 700 dubia roaches here. :shock:

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
HippieLizards":2h966ksc said:
Xanelic":2h966ksc said:
Jaspersmama":2h966ksc said:

Lol I was about to say the same thing.. it only gets around $40 when you order 700 dubia roaches here. :shock:

Last time I paid forty dollars for my guy was how much I had to pay to get my beardie!! And 700 dubias? Do people actually buy that many? :lol: (small breeder of a dubia roach colony so I only have 10F and 3M with a few nymphs lol

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Lol. 700 dubias is essential with a baby dragon that has a appetite similar to a black hole, two bug loving adult dragons, and a growing Gecko. Probably will last me a month or two. :lol:

Thank goodness my snake and cat don't eat bugs too lol.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We can’t even get dubias here, nor silkworms or superworms

Soldier fly larvae , crickets , locusts and mealworms are about the extent of it. And you’re looking at $40 for any of those.
$40 for your bearded dragon??? You’d hate to here what I paid then lol! .... times that by 20.... ( babies though are usually about $400 , older ones usually sell for around $700-$800 )

Repashy grub pie is $30 for the smallest one , $42 medium and $70ish for the large

For comparison our petrol costs for a week is $40

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Ouch.. That is some expensive bugs.. are they of the royal bloodline? :lol:

Lol $40 has been the most I've paid for a beardie (Rocket, Cisco was $30, Thor was $20, and Daisy and Loki were free).

Dude, $400-800 dollars for a dragon is insane. :shock: In the US a dragon of that price would have to be like a wero, Super red, paradox, or something along those lines, but it still would be a lot for a beardie though.

So with that way, Marlow is the king and is very pampered lol. ?

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We ( as far as I know ) don’t even have super reds or any of the other amazing types
There is possibly one breeder at one end of the country that has more of a range but I’m not even sure 100% that they do.
Citrus is as exciting as I’ve heard of here

A viv here is expensive too - looking at $400- $700 for a viv that’s only 90cm x 45cm ( 36”x18”) - and there are only 3 types - soon to be only 2 types as ones no longer going to be stocked. That’s just the viv - double it if you want the stand. And there’s only one option for a 120cm x 60cm ( 48”x 24” ) and that’s $799 plus at $500 if you want the stand

The best uvb you can buy at any petstore here is 10% reptile one. I have finally pre ordered a t5ho Arcadia but that’s through someone here who imports them ( not a store) and I had to pre order as his sell out fast.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom