Little Auto isn't so little...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went recently to get some crickets, they had some new hatch lings there and I was amazed at how tiny they are. I always thought Auto was small but compared to the hatch lings he's huge! Last measurement he was about 5.5 inches nose to bum and his tail was over 6.5 inches.

Looking at the little ones makes me do the: "aw..." My boy could eat them, not in one bite but yeah. My Auto wasn't that small when I got him. I honestly am unsure how old he is.

As he's growing I'm having to think more and more about what new home he will need sooner rather then later. I have eyed a lot of glass vivariums/aquariums but haven't decided what size, bigger is better. However, there's also vivariums with 3 sided wood walls which should retain the heat better. I've never seen any vivariums with wooden walls. I might research how to build one. It would be lovely I think but I'd have to figure out how to get wood that's safe for my dragon and his food.

Auto is still so beyond loving watching the cars pass by the house. He wants to watch them and when I take him there he seems so amused. If I attempt to walk away before he's had his fill he will turn and attempt to run towards the window. He's even once jumped out of my hands to return to the window. If the cars in the lot move he stands up as high as he can and watches with wide eyes, like it's the greatest thing he's ever seen.

As time has gone by and now I've had him for 1 month 1 week, I've happily seen his behavior changing for the better towards me. I knew before I got him that it would be a some what long road to build that trust and love. It started off with him being extremely nervous about me touching him to now a far more relaxed, calm boy. He doesn't usually fuss any longer when I go to pick him up. His first few pick ups by me were...not great. I had read that picking him up the first while to do so in his home so if he runs he won't fall far and not to chase him. So I didn't chase if he ran off my hands. I fed him and still feed him all his veggies by hand. His crickets are his to chase all around his home like Pacman in the game.

He has had a couple, like literally 2 or 3, times when he has woken up on the wrong side of his favorite log. He has on those days been puffing up his beard and dark grey to it too. On those days he's left alone. We all have our bad days and so does he. I just look at him on those days with a smile and say: "Its okay, I won't bother you now."

Keeping routine isn't hard for him. Cleaning up has become easier as he enjoys being held now. I just pick him up after removing all his things. Then I pick up the icky paper off the floor and replace it. Once a week I wash the whole vivarium down and dry it before he gets to return. On the major clean ups I let him stay up on his tree thingy and have both hands free to do what I have to. I honestly have been thankful to him that he will stay on it while I clean.

Through some research I am happy to say my boy is well hydrated. His poopy is always nice and formed with the white. I always thought, before reading up on it, that the water around the poop was urine. Guess it kinda is..but isn't.

So that's been the last week fairly well rounded up.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear everything is going so well =). Wait till he is an adult and then you go to the store and see those hatchlings. They look especially tiny and fragile at that point. Cute little ones for sure though.

As far as a tank goes, if you have the means to build one that will be your best bet in terms of being cost effective. You could re-purpose old furniture or build one from scratch. There are a lot of good examples in the DIY and Enclosures section. This is a good walkthrough to give you a general idea of what it takes https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html I wouldn't make it exactly like that but it's the general idea. You can have them custom built too but it is much more expensive due to labor costs and especially shipping due to their size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom