Meet Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

Very cute beardie! :) I hope he thrives under your care! :blob5:

But I would highly advise against letting the bigger dragon near the baby dragon as they are sometimes cannibalistic and the bigger dragon might eat the baby beardie. I would recommend not letting them near each other at ALL. Because next time you may not be so lucky.

This video informs a few more reasons why not to let an adult beardie near a baby beardie(not my video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CgoxUHcTpk

-HippieLizards.

Anglin237

Original Poster
HippieLizards":2hddcaff said:
Hello,

Very cute beardie! :) I hope he thrives under your care! :blob5:

But I would highly advise against letting the bigger dragon near the baby dragon as they are sometimes cannibalistic and the bigger dragon might eat the baby beardie. I would recommend not letting them near each other at ALL. Because next time you may not be so lucky.

This video informs a few more reasons why not to let an adult beardie near a baby beardie(not my video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CgoxUHcTpk

-HippieLizards.

We've spent several weeks slowly introducing them and are VERY watchful. I don't know if it's due to that or Leo's innate laid back nature, but they get along very well. There has been no nipping or chasing, or even any dirty looks for that matter. They were not placed into the position in the photo, they bask like that. I read all of the warnings and was prepared to separate them, but there has been no need.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I thought the same thing when I bought my two eldest beardies, about a month in or so got them out sat them down on my bed and the next thing I know my female bites down hard on the others head. If he wasn't so frightened, in pain and submissive he probably would have fought back and then died because she would have bit down harder killing him and I would have buried him in the backyard at only 6 months of age.

They are not like us, they are not social animals, they are solitary animals and they are cannibalistic and when they want to they will turn on each other and fight to the death without any signs at all.

Keeping two animals that only come together for fighting or mating is practically animal abuse in all honesty, not trying to be rude but it is. Lets say your very anti-social and one day a sudden stranger, thats also anti-social gets tossed into your very small room. Your probably not going to like that because there is no escaping that person. And you may end up killing them or you yourself will be killed because as tension and stress builds like it or not we ourselves will lash out just like an animal will, because we are animals. It may not even be from violence, it may be from starvation or dehydration.

Anglin237

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":8avomvav said:
I thought the same thing when I bought my two eldest beardies, about a month in or so got them out sat them down on my bed and the next thing I know my female bites down hard on the others head. If he wasn't so frightened, in pain and submissive he probably would have fought back and then died because she would have bit down harder killing him and I would have buried him in the backyard at only 6 months of age.

They are not like us, they are not social animals, they are solitary animals and they are cannibalistic and when they want to they will turn on each other and fight to the death without any signs at all.

Keeping two animals that only come together for fighting or mating is practically animal abuse in all honesty, not trying to be rude but it is. Lets say your very anti-social and one day a sudden stranger, thats also anti-social gets tossed into your very small room. Your probably not going to like that because there is no escaping that person. And you may end up killing them or you yourself will be killed because as tension and stress builds like it or not we ourselves will lash out just like an animal will, because we are animals. It may not even be from violence, it may be from starvation or dehydration.

I do have a second tank prepared, as I wasn't sure they would get along. I had no intention of harming either animal and would horse whip anyone who would. Having done more research, I realize that Rocket would be better off in his/her own tank and will make that move fist thing in the morning.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I Agree with VenusandSaturn. Even though I do Occasionally let one or two beardies out together, but ones normally being held and the other free roams. But normally it's just one out for an hour or more then the next dragon gets an hour of free time and so on.

But I definitely advise against letting your adult beardie near the baby beardie. They Have to be in separate enclosures for their whole lives.

-HippieLizards.

Anglin237

Original Poster
HippieLizards":8wp0a9ww said:
I Agree with VenusandSaturn. Even though I do Occasionally let one or two beardies out together, but ones normally being held and the other free roams. But normally it's just one out for an hour or more then the next dragon gets an hour of free time and so on.

But I definitely advise against letting your adult beardie near the baby beardie. They Have to be in separate enclosures for their whole lives.

-HippieLizards.

***Update***
Rocket got her own tank the day after we discussed it. Unfortunately last week, we had an incident that highlighted why she needed her own. My daughter had her out, Leo was roaming because she gets to be free for most of the day (she likes the sun from the windows). Rocket did what babies that are just learning what humans are for always do and jumped down. Leo took her to be food and had her head in her mouth before we could blink. Rocket got away, but not before Leo got a bite of tail as well. Now we're doctoring a broken jaw, tail that has just lost about 3 inches and the possibility of a lost eye. Even with separate enclosures, this happened. I told my daughter rocket wasn't supposed to be out when Leo was, but I was out of the room when she got her out and came running when I heard screams.
95230-104090977.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Hopefully your beardie will recover... at least it was in a more open area where Rocket could get away and you guys could intervene. If they were still together in a small enclosure with far more limited space I'm sure the injuries would be much worse.

Have you taken her to a vet yet?
If not please do, no home remedies will fix this...
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/#vetlist
This is a pretty good site for finding a proper reptile vet.

Anglin237

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":31jyhthg said:
Hopefully your beardie will recover... at least it was in a more open area where Rocket could get away and you guys could intervene. If they were still together in a small enclosure with far more limited space I'm sure the injuries would be much worse.

Have you taken her to a vet yet?
If not please do, no home remedies will fix this...
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/#vetlist
This is a pretty good site for finding a proper reptile vet.

We've went to the vet the day it happened and again yesterday to remove the dead portion of tail. The jaw is broken but not too badly and healing well. No wiring was needed and no teeth were lost. Unfortunately, her eye WAS lost. The socket was pretty much crushed and the eye is gone. She's on antibiotics and pain meds and I was given a suppliment to give her if she doesn't eat on her own. She's drinking, active, hates the meds and will hate me more tomorrow because as of today, she officially hasn't pooped in 3 days, which means she isn't eating and needs the suppliment. We also have ointment for the eye and tail and are using raw honey for the mouth. I've raised her night time temp too, since I've read here that heat helps the healing.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Aww, I Hope that she get's better! :) You seem to be treating the wounds correctly. :) and Just for the record, Those two should NEVER be near each other again and they should not even see each other.

Basically you have to let them feel like They're the only beardie in the house. They need to think that the other one doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom