Baby Thumpers first days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I became the proud parent of my second Bearded after my first one passed earlier that day (Long story short a cat got trapped in my room. I miss baby Bambi so much even though I only had her for a few weeks)

But now I've got a tiny baby leatherback who I named Thumper in loving memory of my girl
The tiny guy is no more than three inches long from nose to tail tip and gosh I absolutely love him already
We're onto night two and he is happily asleep so I thought I would share some photos since I can't dote on the tiny guy anymore tonight

Here he was in his container as we went home (He was so active for being so tiny!)
98303-9003460803.jpg
That night he fell asleep standing against the tank wall like the little weeb he is, sadly I forgot ti get pictures

Onto day 2 and he is happily chilling on his water dish which sits unused still!
98303-7568918131.jpg

And now here we are on night 2! I peeked into the tank to see if he was asleep and I started ti panic thinging he managed to escaoe somehow (even though I know that right now that is nearly impossible haha) thankfully I soon spotted him in his log and I died at how cute he was
98303-3036660152.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Theres a lot of setup issues, and with his age I doubt he'll last a week in there unless you clean all that unnatural sand out and replace it with paper towels. At only 3 inches head to tail he sounds and looks like he was just hatched a few days ago, and in my opinion should have never been sold as most new owners cant take care of such a fragile animal at that size, personally i'd never sell a beardie below 2 months but thats just my opinion... at least by then they are less fragile and are semi well started.

Basically all you need to do is this,
Make sure he has at least a 20 gallon at minimum.

Clean out all the sand and replace with paper towels.
Beardies should not be housed on particle substrates, especially beardies below two years of age. Particle substrates will cause impaction, death, prolapses, eye infections, joint issues, scale rot, fungal infections, and more.
Never use any type of bark, gravel, sand, or anything for a bearded dragon.

Make sure you have at least a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 22" tube light with a reflective fixture.
(Arcadia T5 HO 12% and 14% bulbs work as well)

You should have a Temp gun or digital temperature gauge with a probe.
Basking temp should be about 100-110.
Warm side (area around the basking spot) 88-95.
Cool side 70-85.
Night time temps never below 65 and never above 85.

Heres a feeding guide, it pretty much covers the basics
ll life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded ... ta.php#veg
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 1-4x a week with
multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

JamLeman

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":vbuese22 said:
Theres a lot of setup issues, and with his age I doubt he'll last a week in there unless you clean all that unnatural sand out and replace it with paper towels. At only 3 inches head to tail he sounds and looks like he was just hatched a few days ago, and in my opinion should have never been sold as most new owners cant take care of such a fragile animal at that size, personally i'd never sell a beardie below 2 months but thats just my opinion... at least by then they are less fragile and are semi well started.

Basically all you need to do is this,
Make sure he has at least a 20 gallon at minimum.

Clean out all the sand and replace with paper towels.
Beardies should not be housed on particle substrates, especially beardies below two years of age. Particle substrates will cause impaction, death, prolapses, eye infections, joint issues, scale rot, fungal infections, and more.
Never use any type of bark, gravel, sand, or anything for a bearded dragon.

Make sure you have at least a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 22" tube light with a reflective fixture.
(Arcadia T5 HO 12% and 14% bulbs work as well)

You should have a Temp gun or digital temperature gauge with a probe.
Basking temp should be about 100-110.
Warm side (area around the basking spot) 88-95.
Cool side 70-85.
Night time temps never below 65 and never above 85.

Heres a feeding guide, it pretty much covers the basics
ll life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded ... ta.php#veg
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 1-4x a week with
multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

Yeah I was unaware of his age as I was tikd he was just readt to go. The sand issue is currently being handled as I knew it was a problem but had no other option at tuat exact moment. The lamp problem is also being handled as I'm buying three new lamps tomorrow (New uvb as the one I have is no good from my research, new heat lamp as the current one has been damaged, and a che for winter/when it gets cold) I appreciate thw response as I'm quite new at this! For the night do you believe leaving the sand in would bw okay or shall I wake him and just remove the sand and leave him on glass for a little bit?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Probably wait till morning to clean it out so he can rest, be very careful when moving him into a smaller container while you fix the enclosure.

The glass would make him slide around too much, you do have paper towels right? Just use that, it's one of the best substrates for a bearded dragon beside tile and non adhesive shelf liner.

When you get a UVB bulb make sure it is at the very least a Reptisun T5 HO 22" bulb with a reflective fixture. That specific bulb can go on a mesh top and still provide correct amounts of UVB, meanwhile 5.0's, and any T8 bulbs have to be mounted inside as they are far too weak.

JamLeman

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":1lckd0k1 said:
Probably wait till morning to clean it out so he can rest, be very careful when moving him into a smaller container while you fix the enclosure.

The glass would make him slide around too much, you do have paper towels right? Just use that, it's one of the best substrates for a bearded dragon beside tile and non adhesive shelf liner.

When you get a UVB bulb make sure it is at the very least a Reptisun T5 HO 22" bulb with a reflective fixture. That specific bulb can go on a mesh top and still provide correct amounts of UVB, meanwhile 5.0's, and any T8 bulbs have to be mounted inside as they are far too weak.

Mhm I do gave paper towels and I already replaced the sand as once I was told how okd he might be in reality I grew quite paranoid about leaving gim over night

Edit: And hopefully I can get the money to get the Uvb either tomorrow morning or Sunday (Really hoping tomorrow because I don't want to wait and worry about the lamp)

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
He is cute & so tiny. It’s good that you got rid of the sand. You can always vacuum out the tank & clean it good. You should definitely get the non adhesive shelf liner, it’s perfect for the young ones. Cheap, no bugs or beardies can get under it, easy to wipe up and clean. You could put a piece of fleece blanket in there for him to snuggle in or on. Your little one will be so spoiled & happy. You 2 have fun.

JamLeman

Original Poster
Yeah I'm definitely getting him a blanket of his own as he loves ti snuggle in mine! The shelf liner might have to wait until tomorrow as my tip priority is to replace hus uvb and dome fixture as the uvb isn't strong enough and the dome is damaged. And in great news he finally ate again! I was worried as he barely ate yesterday but this morning he went to town on some crickets and ate a small peice of bell pepper and blackberry that I offered him as he stilk seemed hungry

JamLeman

Original Poster
Well today was an interesting day for the little guy! He's quite an active and hungry kiddo and is doing great! He eats many crickets but doesn't give veggies a try (though I offer) I've also discovered he likes smushed up blackberries so he can get the juice! He's quite friendly and I've discovered he loves to snuggle up in my blanket. Today though was more or less sad as it seems Thumpee got spooked by something today. He was extra skittish and nervous and I believe the wind scared him as it was blowing hard and making a lot of noise. But luckily he calmed down once I let him out if his tank and let him cozy up right into my blanket. After that he was back to the hungry and active little guy I know!

98303-1406593328.jpg
Picture of him right before he decided it was nap time and bless him he's such a cutie

JamLeman

Original Poster
Well today was a cleaning overhaul. I removed everything from Thumpers tank (including him) and cleaned everything! Thunper also had a bath today and really enjoyed it and is now napping in my blanket as I wait for his mat and tank to dry thoroughly!

98303-3127877312.jpg
He says hi!

JamLeman

Original Poster
So the last few days Thumpers lost a bit of his appetite (not much though) and has been more finicky about being picked up qhich reallu surprised me as he loved being out of tank for a few minutes. I was a little concerned until today when I came home and found that my little boy was shedding! Now I'm fawning over my son because he's getting bigger and I love him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom