2 months of learning with Biggie Smalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have been owned by Biggie Smalls (aka Biggs) for 2 months now. I am learning lots about being a slave to him and also lots about myself. I worry constantly ( which I believe is his ulterior motive) and laugh at both of our antics while getting to know each other. Just wanted to share some of our life lessons.
1. Bugs are not as scary as I always thought! I still can’t touch them (that’s what the hubby and son are for) but I can scoop them up into a cup and feed my boy. Although he prefers to jump into the cup and eat them cave lizard style. I sure do feel bad to whoever is holding a red solo cup this summer :lol:
2. He recognizes people and prefers me. Everyone gets mad at me cause if I talk he turns to watch me and if he finds me he will try to fly to get to me.
3. Now that he has learned that exploring can be fun......no matter how much you clean he WILL find a corner with dust and come out very pleased with himself and full of dust. Gotta get on my hands and knees now when cleaning to make sure I get every corner....
4. I always thought I was a patient person but I am reaching new levels of patience. Nothing like sitting at a window for an hour just so Mr Biggs can get his fill of looking at whatever he sees that interest him so much.....oh well dishes won’t run away and will wait.
5. He is growing so fast. Last month he was 13 inches and 113 grams. Today he is 16.5 inches and 202 grams.....I switched to Dubia as his staple feeder and he seems to be doing much better. He eats his collard greens, mustard greens, and other salad only if I hand feed him. ( yup another lesson in patience for me)
6. He loves to poop on me
7. If I put my hand to block wherever he is trying to go that he shouldn’t, like under couch, under stove etc. he will head butt my hand and give me stank eye.....
8. He loves to attack yarn if I’m trying to crochet and/or claim the blanket by lying on it!
9. He discovered the one spot in my kitchen that is getting some sun and it’s his favorite spot. I’m thinking of getting a cat climbing play thing for him. Can’t wait for this New England weather to warm up.
10. I wanna be able to sleep like him. The weirder the position the more comfy he is.
97320-6458244459.jpg
Here he is claiming his blanket......
97320-3742976138.jpg
One of his more daring sleeping positions.....just hanging showing off his sexy leg
97320-3364677224.jpg
Making Mommy sit and look out the door with me. Hahaha I can do this forever.
97320-9381192973.jpg
Ahhh sunshine.

Super cute!! I too have just gotten my first beardy a little less than two months ago and mine is much smaller but I have never loved an animal so much!! (sorry to my snakes :lol: ) I also was thinking about buying a cat tree for him to climb on bc my beardy always trys climbing to the top of things.. like blankets, sofas, and branches.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When I got Biggs they said he was about 3-4 months. And I was mainly feeding crickets. After lots of reading (mainly this forum) and lots of help and advice I took a deep breath and switched to Dubia and BSFL as the main feeders and he seems to be growing super fast now. What impresses me the most is how smart they are. I would never have thought a reptile could be smart but they are. We have 3 other reptiles in the house. My son (who is 21) has returned home from the military and decided he needed to have a hatchling corn snake (it’s about 6 months now) then he needed to save a milk snake, and most recently he rescued a Ball Python who was so skinny you could see her spine and ribs. She is putting weight on nicely now that she has the correct husbandry and regular feedings. Apparently when I was suckered into buying Biggs it was him who wanted the Beardie.....too bad he is all mine Hahahahaha
97320-9534122985.jpg
This is Biggie Smalls 2 months ago when I bought him home.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Your training is coming on nicely.... :) ....

ps.... careful with the shadecloth style hammock, they are dangerous to beardies who often get their nails snagged and can do very serious injuries to themselves when trying to get free of the snag.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Biggs says thanks Kingofnobbys. He has been working hard getting me properly trained. Should I take the hammock down or will it be ok to put a cloth over it for him? He never goes on the ladder one attached to the wall but he does like the hammock.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lorilyn":3hzypwii said:
Biggs says thanks Kingofnobbys. He has been working hard getting me properly trained. Should I take the hammock down or will it be ok to put a cloth over it for him? He never goes on the ladder one attached to the wall but he does like the hammock.

I'd replace it with a hemp hammock or get a hammock that's made from canvas.

Until then, I'd remove it.... not worth the risk of having it.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I came home from work and took it down. However I think he is mad at me now because when I got home from the gym I almost freaked cause I didn’t see him in his enclosure. Husband laughed at me and said look closer.....the little devil went in his cave, pulled up a corner of the carpet and hid himself.....now I’m gonna worry all night that he won’t be able to find his way back out. And it wasn’t even bed time yet. :banghead:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like you have a smarty pants / livewire , that's the kind of thing our Rex and Toothless used to do.

Our little rescued water skink does those kinds of things too....

Not just dumb lizards.... they have smarts.

He's got the poops .... he'll get over it pretty soon when you give him some yummies .

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hahaha yes he is a pistol. Apparently this morning I still did not redeem myself properly. I turned his lights on and usually he starts basking within 10-15 minutes. Not this morning. An hour later he was still hidden in his cave under the carpet. I had to remove the cave, lift the carpet to find Mr Smalls who gave me the the worst stink eyes he has yet to give me and I swear he called me the devil. After letting him warm up and 30 roaches later when I left for work I think he tried to give me the finger :lol: when I got home from work and treated him I got the first black beard he ever gave me and I think he even tried to puff his beard. 2 wax worms (which I always hand feed) he finally started to forgive me. And now I just noticed his legs are shedding AGAIN. So he is double grumpy. Now he ate his dinner (another 30 roaches.....such a piggy) and some hand fed collard greens he finally led me pet him. :blob5:

What an adventure this is becoming...wouldn’t trade, loving all the memories we are making

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Made some changes in his cage. He now has a better floor than I have in my kitchen. Hahaha nice grippy ceramic tiles I found at Home Depot. But it makes cleaning poop so much easier then the repti carpet!
97320-9838090892.jpg
I found a smaller cat post thingy (sorry have no idea what it’s really called) for his Spoiledness (as my husband calls him)
97320-2943601371.jpg
and I’m not sure if he approves of it yet or not. He really didn’t seem too impressed and within 3 minutes was off it and is now in his favorite spot.
97320-3507874031.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That cat post is nice to have right by the window. They tend to love sitting near a window and looking outside. Does the carpet on the post have looped fiber? I'd be careful about him getting his nails caught in it if it does. If it doesn't then it's a really nice solution.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No it’s not looped it’s super fuzzy. So far he still isn’t too impressed with it and takes a jump off.

Don’t think he is feeling too well today. For some reason the Dubia I ordered didn’t ship. He is refusing crickets and will only eat his greens. Had very runny watery poop and his activity is way down today. He only wants to sleep in my neck when he is out but at least he is basking and moving to different levels in his tank. I sure do hope the company ships soon or returns my calls and emails. They took the $$$ out of my account days ago but tracking still says it hasn’t moved! :banghead:

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Biggie is happy again! His Dubia and BSFL came in! Although he is still not so fond of the BSFL they are good for him so I mix them in his bowl with the Dubia and in his excited frenzy he eats some! LOL
97320-2198165823.jpg
last night he discovered my IPAD and decided the puzzle game was very interesting. LOL

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad the food came and he is happy again. Sometimes (the good) shippers will hold the shipment if there is bad weather along the route. Some of them have specific shipping days too. They should respond to you either way and explain that though.

Try ant crusher on your iPad and see how he reacts to that =)

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I will look for ant crusher. The company was in contact. It was a glitch with the post office tracking. They were at my post office for 2 days before it finally showed that they were there. Anyway they have my number at the post office cause they couldn’t wait to get rid of the bugs. :lol: however I am officially known now as the Dragon Lady. Was funny the girl at the post office thought they were crickets or meal worms and wanted to know what was in the box. When I told her Dubia Roaches and Black Soldier Fly Larvae she freaked out and put my number on speed dial.

And I discovered that Biggie would rather starve than eat crickets :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom