2 months of learning with Biggie Smalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have been owned by Biggie Smalls (aka Biggs) for 2 months now. I am learning lots about being a slave to him and also lots about myself. I worry constantly ( which I believe is his ulterior motive) and laugh at both of our antics while getting to know each other. Just wanted to share some of our life lessons.
1. Bugs are not as scary as I always thought! I still can’t touch them (that’s what the hubby and son are for) but I can scoop them up into a cup and feed my boy. Although he prefers to jump into the cup and eat them cave lizard style. I sure do feel bad to whoever is holding a red solo cup this summer :lol:
2. He recognizes people and prefers me. Everyone gets mad at me cause if I talk he turns to watch me and if he finds me he will try to fly to get to me.
3. Now that he has learned that exploring can be fun......no matter how much you clean he WILL find a corner with dust and come out very pleased with himself and full of dust. Gotta get on my hands and knees now when cleaning to make sure I get every corner....
4. I always thought I was a patient person but I am reaching new levels of patience. Nothing like sitting at a window for an hour just so Mr Biggs can get his fill of looking at whatever he sees that interest him so much.....oh well dishes won’t run away and will wait.
5. He is growing so fast. Last month he was 13 inches and 113 grams. Today he is 16.5 inches and 202 grams.....I switched to Dubia as his staple feeder and he seems to be doing much better. He eats his collard greens, mustard greens, and other salad only if I hand feed him. ( yup another lesson in patience for me)
6. He loves to poop on me
7. If I put my hand to block wherever he is trying to go that he shouldn’t, like under couch, under stove etc. he will head butt my hand and give me stank eye.....
8. He loves to attack yarn if I’m trying to crochet and/or claim the blanket by lying on it!
9. He discovered the one spot in my kitchen that is getting some sun and it’s his favorite spot. I’m thinking of getting a cat climbing play thing for him. Can’t wait for this New England weather to warm up.
10. I wanna be able to sleep like him. The weirder the position the more comfy he is.
97320-6458244459.jpg
Here he is claiming his blanket......
97320-3742976138.jpg
One of his more daring sleeping positions.....just hanging showing off his sexy leg
97320-3364677224.jpg
Making Mommy sit and look out the door with me. Hahaha I can do this forever.
97320-9381192973.jpg
Ahhh sunshine.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I finally found a reptile vet!! Well I didn’t my son did, his Python (Big Bertha) has been wheezing the past few days. He came home and told me he found a reptile vet and asked if I wanted to go....duhhhhhh of course I did. Not only did he have to fill out a 5 page report on his husbandry/habits and various questions. But the vet didn’t rush us. Was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Especially since we don’t really know much of the snakes history other than not being feed and the scars on her scales. But she also answered my questions about Beardies and recommends a well visit check up once a year for all reptiles so she learns each of her reptiles the best she can before emergency happens. Biggie is booked for his first visit in May. Any advice of what I should be aware of for a good reptile vet? Although she might be the only one I still would like to be somewhat aware.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Took Biggie outside today for the first time! He loves looking outside and since he is starting to get somewhat brave and explores a little I thought some much needed natural sun might help us both kick the winter dulls. I don’t have a leash or harness yet for him so we only stayed on the porch for about 15 minutes (till a Big crow decided to fly bye scaring us both) I think he enjoyed the sunshine. His. Olof darkened to almost black and he was pretty relaxed but on high alert looking all around.
97320-6431166842.jpg
Biggie looking out the door (his lizard/cat climber was right next to him but he seemed to prefer the floor)
97320-9320729966.jpg
Baby’s first trip outside. Maybe only 3 feet from the door but I say it still counts.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
First well lizard check up went great. Thanks to everyone. Biggie is growing tremendously and is now 17.25 inches and 339 grams. Only problem is HE isn’t a he after all! Turns out HE is a SHE. Now I have to worry about eggs and egged getting stuck. :banghead: vet recommends putting diggable substrate in half her enclosure. Any thoughts on this? LOL everything I have been educating myself on has been geared toward males now I guess it’s time to educate on females. LOl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom