Pancake & the Hooman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Pancake is my first reptile, and he has me completely wrapped around his little scaly feet, I thought the idea of having a place to start documenting Pancake's journey with me would be fun, so here we go~

For our first entry, we will begin with the power outage last week. All went well, and after running around on my bed for a good half hour Pancake got a little less squirmy and settled for snuggling in his dino blankie.

Pancake: Ummm HOOMAN NOOO.... I tried to squirm away but then you put the lightbox in front with lizards on the screen and it made sounds and I was hypnotized!!

96854-315431352.jpg

...AKA... I played How To Train Your Dragon on my laptop and it caught Pancake's attention pretty quickly :lol:

And part way through the movie he made a little burrow and had a power nap

96854-6495580054.jpg

Pancake: And then I woke up 5 minutes later to climb up my hooman's tree branch arms (but they're really more like fat twigs).

But as for some other Pancake moments...

96854-2817905965.jpg
Pancake: New hooman, I do not know who you are but I will offer a smole smile in exchange for crickets.
This was around January 9th, in his old tank, three days after coming home.

96854-9804566749.jpg
Pancake: Hooman, do not worry! Am here!!

The tank that got dropped off with my precious baby was an absolute mess, complete with some cracked glass that we couldn't get a replacement for, so my parents bought me a very early Christmas present of a new tank for Pancake around January 18th. I moved all of his accessories over to make his move easier, and of course he was thankful to have his beloved bathing bowl (the water is extremely shallow, barely up to his ankles) and decided to hide in it. I panicked because at first I couldn't see him anywhere in his tank, but when I started calling for him, up popped Pancake's little head :p

96854-7748638945.jpg
Pancake: *ahem* Hooman, now is time for cuddles!! Not the lightbox!

Towards the end of January, Pancake started to get quite comfortable around me, which I was shocked at as he was very shy when he was first home. But alas, he also became more demanding :lol: While he was running around in his playpen, I decided to work on some homework. Well, he got a bit grumpy and decided to prevent any further essay writing until I picked him up and let him snuggle into my hair lol.

96854-1707843813.jpg

I love how gold his eyes are <3

96854-9978907662.jpg
96854-1398905088.jpg
Pancake: Hooman, this is satisfactory, now pls leave me to basking.

This is the newest addition I've bought him, and Pancake definitely seems to like anything climbable lol. When I compare these two pictures (most recent) to what I remember he looked like when he was left at my work, he's starting to fill out a bit more. I'm worried that he might still be a bit small, especially compared to other beardies on here, but his appetite and energy levels have definitely picked up.

This is probably such a long post by now, but I just adore my little guy with all my heart.

More Pancake & the Hooman on the way~

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":wa1bwwqw said:
He looks quite happy. I'm glad to see he's getting some good adventures in with you =)

His attitude towards adventuring has definitely changed. The first time he was out he walked around very slowly and mostly just stood there, now he seems to think he's Godzilla and can take on anything lol. I feel bad when it's time for him to go into his tank; lately he runs back up my arm and stares at me like "noo hooman I want to stay with yooou."

But after turning him towards his tank a few more times he eventually gets the message and hops onto his hut to bask :lol:

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
PodunkKhaleesi":2jfrg80a said:
Sounds like he’s developing a spunky personality and that’s great that he’s so comfortable around you.

My parents are shocked with how much personality he has, they were expecting a reptile to be more like a fish :roll:

But, anyway, new story~ (but no pictures unfortunately)

Pancake tried his first butterworm yesterday and oh boy. One little taste and he went crazy.

Pancake: *noms worm* .............WOOOOOOORMMMMS!!! EVERYTHING IS A WORM!!! *runs up to hooman's hand and makes hunting face*

Hooman: *picks up food dish to remove from tank*

Pancake: ITS A BIG WOORRRMMMM!!! *chases hooman's hand around tank with tongue sticking out*

Hooman: *sets food bowl down and places hand palm up in tank*

Pancake: OH BOY IM GONNA EAT THE WO- oh it's a hand... Where did the wormies go?! :( *looks at hooman with sad eyes* Please hooman can I have some more?

Hooman: Okay just one more.. But then that is it for today.

Pancake: *gobbles up second butterworm* Thank you hooman, am sorry I tried to eat your hand...

He also tried a waxworm but he didn't have much of a reaction to it surprisingly, I thought waxworms were like catnip for beardies :lol:

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This doesn't have anything to do with Pancake directly, but...

I was in need of some vegetables for him, and so I went to the grocery store to pick up some collard greens and spaghetti squash. The cashier gave me a very confused look and said, "This is a very strange combination, what are you making?" I told her it was for my bearded dragon and she seemed very befuddled by the fact that they eat vegetables. :lol:

Edit:
I'd also like to add to this post that Pancake has grown an inch since I adopted him :D He is now seventeen inches

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm surprised they took notice. A lot of times they seem to be on autopilot for the most part. I started growing collards in my garden this year and already probably have enough to last through the summer. I'm glad to hear Pancake is doing so well!

branjie

Pancake is absolutely adorable. Brilliant personality too. Also sounds like Pancake is a very well cared for beardie!

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3vav9tzo said:
I'm surprised they took notice. A lot of times they seem to be on autopilot for the most part. I started growing collards in my garden this year and already probably have enough to last through the summer. I'm glad to hear Pancake is doing so well!

That's very true of cashiers, maybe she just started her shift and hadn't zoned out yet in this case :lol:
Growing your own collard greens is a great idea!

branjie":3vav9tzo said:
Pancake is absolutely adorable. Brilliant personality too. Also sounds like Pancake is a very well cared for beardie!

Thank you! He definitely gets treated like a little baby lol

And also, a more recent photograph of him. It's now been six months since I adopted him and he tends to show his pretty cream colours quite regularly :D (especially after eating silkworms)
96854-5622326541.jpg

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got one of those Fujifilm Instax cameras a few months ago, and have been trying to get a picture of Pancake with it. After 5 photos of a blurry lizard and one where I forgot to turn off the flash so it looks like he's being beamed up by a UFO, I have finally managed to take two decent pictures of Pancake.

96854-6500499248.jpg

(His tank is a lot brighter than the pictures make it look)

At first he was a bit concerned when I was holding this strange object up next to the side of his tank, but now he's gotten comfortable enough that when the lens extends out of the camera he just sticks out his tongue and does a few head tilts before deciding to ignore it.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Pancake is so cute, and obviously has a good hooman! I enjoy reading about his adventures...He is quite a little character!

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dezismom":3mi5gqqj said:
Pancake is so cute, and obviously has a good hooman! I enjoy reading about his adventures...He is quite a little character!

Aw, thank you! He's a very amusing critter to have around the house lol. I'm so glad that I happened to be working the weekend he was dropped off, otherwise I don't know how long he would've lasted in that tupperware container! :(

New story~

Since I've had to work 7 days a week to save for university, I've felt bad that Pancake hasn't been able to see me as much as he does during the school year. So when I'm home from work I let him roam around the house with me or sit on my shoulder. I discovered letting him sit on my shoulder or lap while I'm eating supper is a bad idea, because he decided to jump into the salad on my plate :lol: (Luckily I don't like salad dressing otherwise that would've been a mess).

And in case anyone was wondering, Pancake did steal a dandelion leaf out of my salad and had the audacity to munch away while still sitting in my plate :lol:

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Bath Time

Pancake was in need of a bath, and whenever it's bath time he gets a case of the zoomies. He will run all over the bathroom and jump in and out of the water, and occasionally try to attack the toothbrush.

From our last bath time, he was 99% clean, except for a small spot on his tail. However, he thought bath time was over; Pancake promptly climbed up my arm, hopped to the floor, and proceeded to run around. But then he noticed the toothbrush.

96854-4988839752.jpg
Pancake: Hooman, 'tis time to explore!!

96854-5438483423.jpg
Why are you going near the purple worm with bristles?!

96854-4700239929.jpg
No more scrubby dubby!!

But in the end, I did manage to clean the final spot on Pancake's tail, and when I picked him up he decided to jump on my head as revenge (Pancake:Ignore my hooman, look at me!)

96854-8037750842.jpg

Hide & Seek

I try to change Pancake's tank around every so often, since he tends to get very bored or mopey otherwise. With the most recent arrangement of decor, Pancake seems to enjoy finding spaces to hide in. Normally he just hides behind his leaves or underneath his hut, but today he decided to sneak behind the leaves and new driftwood I bought him. He looked like a little floating head :lol:
96854-9610074027.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom