Daenerys and Drogon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drogon finally drank some water! :D
So, the beardies seem a lot more comfortable than they were. They're yellow/cream colored and relaxed, and Drogon finally drank some water and isn't spending his day sleeping.
We gave him a bath, though he wasn't too fond of it.
And, we finally got them a stick that they both seem to love.
They haven't eaten yet, but hopefully that will change soon.

I finally held Daenerys today, and i feel(hope) that we're getting more comfortable in each other's company.
Don't worry. that doesn't mean they've never been out of their tank, my stepdad and sister have been holding them, and i pet them, i just haven't gotten to the holding stage yet.
Baby steps.

Here's Dany on the stick
96980-7974677952.jpg

And here's Drogon on the stick
96980-3558187210.jpg

If the color seems weird, don't worry it's just my phone.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
They aren't housed together are they?

If so you'll want to separate them, especially if their both male or male and female as this can cause great stress.

Beardies are territorial and solitary animals that do not enjoy each others company, in fact they'll be stressed out 24/7 no matter the gender.

If both male they will kill each other if they get the chance to.

If female and male the female will be overly stressed out, your definitely not ready for eggs of any kind. Plus if she becomes egg bound she'll have to go into surgery. And if you decide to incubate any eggs you'll need another tank, you'll also need thousands and thousands of crickets and other bugs to keep them healthy so you'll have to get into breeding the food. And if you cant handle certain bugs you may end up spending one thousand or more every month in food.

Let me put it this way, one single 1-4 month old dragon eats about 40-60 crickets a day, thats up to around 200 or more in a single week, one baby beardie tends to eat about 400-1,000 bugs a month.
Now take that 400-1,000 number and multiply it by 20 more babies. Thats going to be lots of money your spending and very little in return as breeding gives you basically nothing unless you have high quality morphs or color phases.

And of course you have to remind yourself not all animals get homes, so you may end up with tons and tons of unwanted bearded dragons.

And thats just the breeding portion of cohabiting the opposite gender together, I didnt even get started on the biting off limbs and killing portion.

DaenerysDrogon

Original Poster
They've lived together for the past 4 years, before when my stepfather's friend owned them.
She was pregnant upon arrival (unknown before we agreed to take them) and we're already preparing the incubator, and have plans for the baby lizards when they come.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
You still need to separate them, just because they appear "fine" together doesn't mean they are. And the fact shes already gravid makes this worse as she will be very very stressed out and will loose quite a bit of weight after the eggs are laid, and by the way one single breeding can produce about 6 clutches of 15-35 eggs. This will also take other resources away from her, if she does not get enough food or calcium its very well possible that she could die from this.

When you least expect it a beardie can quickly turn on another of its species and deal a killing blow to the head in a matter of seconds.

I got lucky when I had my two beardies out together when they were 6 months old, before i could do anything my female bearded dragon had turned on my male and bit down hard on his head for a few seconds before letting go. Luckily he did not die but if she had bit down any harder or if he tried to fight back he most likely wouldn't be here today.

And by the way these two dragons where at the petstore together for about two months, entirely fine took them home put them together entirely fine for about a month. And then when i least expected it that happened.

DaenerysDrogon

Original Poster
I understand, i'm still trying to sort some things out for them but it is taking a bit of time.
I just got them less than a week ago, and this is just the way they were when they came, i'm trying to fix up what i can for them as i go.

I also don't want to go too fast, and cause them even more stress than they've had from moving, and from being without their lights for a few months( guy left them like that for awhile). They're just starting to get comfortable in my home now, and with having heat again.

I've been trying to get them to eat, but like i said one just started to drink water again.
We had no idea the female was pregnant before she arrived, and have been doing everything to keep her from getting stressed.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes definitely separate the pair immediately. Just because the previous "owner" says they have lived together harmoniously for their entire 4 years of life is irrelevant and likely the prior owner has told you some porkies in order to get you to buy off them. Don't trust anything they have told you.

If you have a M+F , the male will continuously want to mate with the female in season , this is not good for the female and will stress her greatly.

If F+F , one will be the dominant and the submissive will be continuously under stress (as will be the case with a M+F pair) and this is not good for the submissive.

If in the unlikely event they are M+M , eventually one WILL KILL the other.

Your best option is stacked 4x2x2 vivs , this way they aren't forced to see each other all day , another strong stressor.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DaenerysDrogon":31jybxol said:
I understand, i'm still trying to sort some things out for them but it is taking a bit of time.
I just got them less than a week ago, and this is just the way they were when they came, i'm trying to fix up what i can for them as i go.

I also don't want to go too fast, and cause them even more stress than they've had from moving, and from being without their lights for a few months( guy left them like that for awhile). They're just starting to get comfortable in my home now, and with having heat again.

<<<< now is the best time to separate them and house them in separate vivs .... already stressed by the relocation, will likely mean only a few more days of this for them now , but maybe another week or more if you wait and they get used to current setup.

I've been trying to get them to eat, but like i said one just started to drink water again.
We had no idea the female was pregnant before she arrived, and have been doing everything to keep her from getting stressed.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
The longer they are together, the closer to disaster they get! Its like letting them play Russian Roulette and, they are both spinning the cylinder at the same time.....the outcome will not be good!

DaenerysDrogon

Original Poster
I am STILL getting things settled with them!
I just got them, and as i said before it's going to take a few to get everything perfectly situated.
I can't just go over to them and snatch one out of the tank, where would I put them huh?
Can't just set them in any random cage without any UVBs or anything for them! I need to buy that stuff, unless someone is gonna do it for me.
I'm am working on fixing everything for these guys, but it's not going to happen over night.

STOP telling me I have to separate them, I KNOW that.
And this is not the thread to tell me all the do's and don;ts of Bearded Dragon owning, This was simply me wanting a little blog on my journey with these two, but thanks so much for ruining it.

Also, I didn't buy them, the guy gave them to us for free.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DaenerysDrogon":2150638y said:
I am STILL getting things settled with them!
I just got them, and as i said before it's going to take a few to get everything perfectly situated.
I can't just go over to them and snatch one out of the tank, where would I put them huh?
Can't just set them in any random cage without any UVBs or anything for them! I need to buy that stuff, unless someone is gonna do it for me.
I'm am working on fixing everything for these guys, but it's not going to happen over night.

STOP telling me I have to separate them, I KNOW that.
And this is not the thread to tell me all the do's and don;ts of Bearded Dragon owning, This was simply me wanting a little blog on my journey with these two, but thanks so much for ruining it.

Also, I didn't buy them, the guy gave them to us for free.

Look mate , we are only trying help you and make life as safe and happy as possible for BOTH dragons and for you , so please DON"T take our collective advise as criticisms or get yourself all upset.
We've seen the results of dragons forced to cohabitate in a tiny shop bought (fishtank , um viv) .
For two bearded dragons even a 4x2x2 tank or 6x4x2 tank is WAY TOO SMALL for them to stay out of each others' way, invariably ends very badly.

In a pinch , the dominant one can go into a 150L tub set up as a temporary tank , these are very cheap to buy and easy with a soldering iron and electric drill-driver to convert to a viv , see this for how to do it
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480
.... if you have a spare hide, and spare par38 halogen or incandescent spotty and spare 26W 10%UVB globe and nanohood or reflector dome or T5HO 10%-12% UVB tube & and reflector hood , you'll have the temporary tank ready in under an hour.

DaenerysDrogon

Original Poster
Really? Because it seems you all just kind of assumed i wasn't going to separate them. First person was even telling me the hardship of breeding, as if no one on this planet knows that having 30+ baby lizards is going to be a nightmare.
Maybe you were only trying to help, but three people coming to a thread that is not for giving advise, and telling me what i'm doing wrong. which is not my fault because I did not set them up this way, the previous owner did, and i'm trying my hardest to fix everything. Which i have also stated multiple times.
So yeah, i'm a little upset and annoyed by this thread that was supposed to be a fun blog for my bearded dragons.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DaenerysDrogon":2hfxn6rp said:
Really? Because it seems you all just kind of assumed i wasn't going to separate them. First person was even telling me the hardship of breeding, as if no one on this planet knows that having 30+ baby lizards is going to be a nightmare.
Maybe you were only trying to help, but three people coming to a thread that is not for giving advise, and telling me what i'm doing wrong. which is not my fault because I did not set them up this way, the previous owner did, and i'm trying my hardest to fix everything. Which i have also stated multiple times.
So yeah, i'm a little upset and annoyed by this thread that was supposed to be a fun blog for my bearded dragons.

.... keep us posted on how things shape up.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
DaenerysDrogon":n0h1wp8f said:
I am sorry you feel that way.
We are always and formost, out to help our scaley little friends live long healthy lives. We were in no way bashing you and I am sorry you took it that way, we were nearly trying to convey how important it is to separate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom