Mesh-screens and cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sighs* I just came into the computer room and one of our cats was on-top of the wire mesh screen of the vivarium, just sitting there. I was so angry and upset that I literally threw the cat off before smacking her, and then kicking her out of the room entirely. This is also another reason why I had aluminium foil there, it prevented them sitting in that spot for some reason. They didn't like it or the sounds it made. I'm so glad Iggy is alright this time, only a little upset that he saw a cat there :( I'm also glad that the mesh screen didn't collapse, traumatizing my poor Dragon like some other unfortunate stories I have read on these discussion boards.

As I have said in past posts on here recently, come pay-day end of next week, I am planning on getting a MDF top for the vivarium with holes cut-out as appropriate for the lights, which will be much stronger in keeping the cats out whilst also providing far better insulation. But yeah, right now Iggy is back to sleep with his eyes cutely shut :)

my cats do the same thing! :D it can be irritating when they do that.the aluminum is a great idea to keep them off,and i also just temporarily keep the cats out of the room where the vivarium is.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The cat/s must be banished PERMANENTLY from the room where the lizard is kept. A dragon instinctively knows cats are dangerous even if the cat owner thinks their cat would never harm anything. So the very sight of cat is going to stress the lizard.

Take this danger to the dragon seriously and never ever trust a cat.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
wolffriend":ms201yju said:
my cats do the same thing! :D it can be irritating when they do that.the aluminum is a great idea to keep them off,and i also just temporarily keep the cats out of the room where the vivarium is.

kingofnobbys":ms201yju said:
The cat/s must be banished PERMANENTLY from the room where the lizard is kept. A dragon instinctively knows cats are dangerous even if the cat owner thinks their cat would never harm anything. So the very sight of cat is going to stress the lizard.

Take this danger to the dragon seriously and never ever trust a cat.

My housemates will not allow me to simply banish all the cats from the same room as the vivarium, but they will thankfully allow me to banish the biggest bully of all the cats that we have. I went shopping yesterday down to Bunnings (a mega hardware store franchise we have in Australia) and got some plywood, so today I'm building Iggy a new cover for his vivarium that will be much sturdier and prevent cats from peeking in, and hopefully from jumping on-top too.

But yeah, when there is a cat present on the same desk as the vivarium, Iggy becomes VERY stressed and 'glass surfs', even sometimes puffing out his beard and darkening it. He clearly does not like their presence.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here is a picture of Iggy's new crib :)

95175-6350380704.jpg

95175-7521937443.jpg

I have added a plywood top into which I have cut holes for a Exo-Terra "Solar Glo" mercury vapour bulb and a ceramic heating coil (forget the brand, doesn't really matter with that), and a rectangular slot with a jigsaw for a three foot Zoo Med light that's 10.0 UVB strength :)

Thank you so much to everyone here that has provided advice to me, and helped me provide a better home to my Beardie ^_^

EDIT: I forgot to mention but ceramic tiles of the appropriate size are being shipped to my residence in the next few business days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom