Puff H. Bailey's "new blog" (belated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has fairly recently come to my attention that it's something of a tradition around here for each beardie or family of beardies to have their own thread, so here goes nothing...

Brief review, as I've mentioned most of this in other posts -- Puff was about a year old when we got him from a local rescue around 4 1/2 years ago, and we all seemed to adjust well at first, but the following year was a bad one for all of us...

One story I have never told, because it is a very painful memory for me and one that I am not proud of :oops: :cry: , is that in the summer of 2014, I had what was probably a "nervous breakdown", and became convinced that I could no longer take care of either of our reptiles (we also have a corn snake), nor could I let my husband do it, and I railroaded him into taking them to the local animal control facility on a Friday evening after he came home from work. (No one can talk sense to me when I get like that, and all I could think of was that I had to get them out of here while they were still in good health.) Fortunately, Anchorage has an excellent animal care and control facility. They were there for about 40 hours and my heart was broken. On the following Sunday morning I came to my senses and realized that I was either going to have to give up on them forever, or let my husband help me take care of them. He has always been willing, but I'm a control freak and had been insisting on doing everything myself. So we had a hasty discussion and made plans for me to teach him how to do what I'd been doing and no longer seemed to have the energy to continue to do myself. Then we rushed back down to the animal control facility just as it opened for business in the morning, hoping they would still be there. They were, and we brought them back home. My husband, true to his word, has been doing most of the hard work to care for them ever since, and thanks to him, we still get to keep them and I still get most of the cuddles -- not fair to my husband but he doesn't seem to mind. They are ours for life now, and I have realized that we passed the point of no return when we brought them home. I don't think I had previously realized how much I loved them until that horrible 40 hours when I believed that I would never see them again, and without knowing if they would ever have another home even as good as the one they've had with us.

As I have also said elsewhere, Puff was diagnosed with adenovirus at the end of that year, and was pretty sick for a while, but eventually pulled through, although his appetite and activity level has never come quite back to what it was before that. For the most part, he's been doing fairly well for the last several years, and things have been better.

Latest escapade (just so this won't start out as a total downer):

Recent Saturday afternoon: Puff is pancaked out under the heat &UV lamps in his tank, and "Daddy" sits down at a nearby table with his laptop, all ready for a nice little session on the internet, and plugs in an external tabletop mouse because he prefers that to the hokey little touchpad on the laptop. All of a sudden, Puff goes nuts and starts doing his little dance, the one that usually means, "Get me out of here! I see something I want on the other side of the glass. :blob5: " So "Mommy" (that's me) takes him out and brings him over to the table, because I have my suspicions. Sure enough, he goes after the mouse cable. Probably thinks it's a worm. So Daddy decides to take advantage of the situation and grabs Puff's salad, hoping to use the old bait and switch trick to get the little wannabe carnivore to eat some veggies. Puff is having none of it -- Daddy slips greens in his mouth while he's busy chewing on bugs all the time, and Puff is wise to that. So I put him back in his tank, but Daddy isn't giving up yet, and brings the mouse over and dangles the cable on the other side of the glass, while trying to slip Puff a leaf on the inside of the tank with his other hand. Puff avoids the leaf, but succeeds in banging his nose on the glass trying to get at the mouse. At this point, poor hubby gets the order to cease and desist from his naggy wife, followed by the lecture that we do not want to use inedible, non-digestible objects to trick Puff into eating greens, as I do not want to have to replace a chewed up mouse cable, or worse yet, we definitely do not want Puff swallowing bits of it. It's ok to try to spoon feed him worms using collard greens for the spoon, but not this, and blah, blah, blah...

Bottom line, no permanent damage done to the mouse cable, the bearded dragon, or to Mommy and Daddy's marital relationship. Just another fairly typical Saturday afternoon at the Bailey's... :mrgreen:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
So another month+ has gone by, and Alaska is in the middle of a record breaking heat wave and a really bad fire season. :( Trying to keep Puff at his preferred temperatures without making it too hot for his human slaves has been a challenge. I have the heat lamps off at the cool end of the tank and they are turned down at the warm end, still shooting for his normal basking temperatures so it’s available to him if he chooses to go “upstairs” and bask.

He still seems pretty serious about being in semi-brumation for the first time in his life, but we’re still giving him his baths almost every day and offering him bugs. He usually eats a few every other day, along with some butternut squash which is currently the only vegetable that he seems to like – not much for greens. (Back to normal :roll: ) His weight is fairly stable, so we’re not too worried about him at the moment. He doesn’t appear to be sick otherwise, so we’re chalking it up to brumation in the middle of a hot summer (go figure :? ) unless we get a reason to believe otherwise -- then it would be off to the vet again.

I hope everyone else and their beardies and other family members are doing well. :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi folks...
It's been a long time since I posted anything, so here's the latest...

Puff is still hanging in there. Our beardie garden was a semi success, at least as far as the mustard greens were concerned. They even flowered and my husband is hoping to save the seeds for this next summer. The endives and the collards didn't do so well, and barely got past their embryonic leaves. We picked some of the little ones for Puff, but he was not particularly impressed -- his usual reaction to veggies. :roll:

His weight is currently fairly stable at around 500 grams, a little lower than I'd like it to be but still holding his own. He gets offered bugs and veggies almost every day, and usually scarfs the bugs (crickets and roaches) with much enthusiasm. Occasionaly we splurge with a few hornworms and he loOOoves those. :love10: Likes squash too -- we get him butternut or kabocha. Greens not so much, but occasionally he will accept a leaf or two if we hand feed it to him.

The lump in his wrist which gave us a cancer scare got bigger again. This time it was full of blood, so the vet is thinking the problem may be vascular. There are some surgical options, but we agreed that would be too drastic at this point. Cytology already confirmed that it's not cancer. We figure it was an old injury that got inflamed. He's a klutz and probably banged his wrist on something in his tank. We have him surrounded by soft things now -- towels and crocheted stuff. He's going to have to get really creative if he wants to hurt himself now. The vet approves. No driftwood and rocks for this one.

He's been napping in his hide on and off, especially in June and then a little more lately. Stayed mostly awake in the fall. Seems to have his biological clock set for the southern hemisphere again, like the time he went hormonal right around the winter solstice. :? But he still eats well, so not real serious about brumating, which is good. I wouldn't want him to, since I don't think he's quite healthy enough for it.

Puff will be 8 years old this spring -- guestimated since we don't know for sure exactly how old he is because he was a rescue. Although I have heard rumors of beardies living into their late teens, our vet says that in her experience, most of them are getting pretty geriatric by the time they get into the double digits. So between age and adenovirus, we can hope to have a maybe a couple more years with him. He is our first and last beardie. It would not be fair to my husband to get another one because of my situation -- he gets stuck with all the hard work when I'm not up to it.

But in the meantime, Puff gets a cuddle or two almost every day and seems to tolerate it if not actually enjoy it, and we plan to continue to take the best possible care of him for whatever time he has left.

Extremely cold here in Anchorage with subzero temperatures almost every day this last month. But we manage to keep ourselves warm enough with the heater and Puff warm with his heat lamps.

Will try to keep in touch with anyone with anyone who is still following this thread... :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
One of our vets was going to do some research on serrapeptase, but I haven't heard back from him.

Puff loves just about any kind of worm, so he'd probably like silkworms, but I gave up on finding anyone who will ship them to Alaska. :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can be hard to get anywhere at times. Best option (but more work) is to buy the eggs and raise them in batches. Kingofnobbys has posted some guides on that. I think Tracie carries serrapeptase on her site though.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info, CooperDragon.

Yeah, I entertained the thought of raising my own silkworms -- even thought of letting some of them complete their life cycle so I could play around with spinning the silk (as well as get a new batch of eggs), but I decided against it -- too much work, and no mulberry bushes in this climate so I would have had to get the special food. Not worth it, and besides, I couldn't even find anyone who would ship the eggs and the kits up here. Oh well. :roll:

Meanwhile, Puff is doing well. The lump on his wrist is still there but doesn't seem to be getting any bigger for the time being -- even seems to be healing somewhat since the last time it was drained. He shed part of the skin off of that one little spot, which is probably a good sign. Shedding is sometimes part of the healing process. :)

It has "warmed up" here to temperatures around freezing and we're expecting a little snow -- storms coming up from the south. Puff is still napping in his hide on and off.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Nice to hear from you too. :D How is(are) your beardies(s) doing?

Puff had put on a few grams at his weighing this last weekend, which is a good thing. He still scarfs crickets and roaches with much enthusiasm, and veggies not so much. :mrgreen:

He also pooped on me right after his bath, which is not such a good thing. He'd been good about pooping in the water for a while so we can just dump it down the drain, so I guess we were due for a little accident. My husband wrapped him in a towel after his bath and gave him to me to cuddle (standard operating procedure when I'm having one of my better days), and I felt him arch his tail under the towel and then smelled this aroma... Oh well. Like I always say, if you have animals or babies, you have to get over being squeamish about poop or else it can make your life pretty miserable. :puke: As it was, just a little more complicated to clean up, soaking a few things with alcohol, and a little extra laundry.

Thus begins another week of basking, napping, cuddling, and pigging out on bugs. :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Howdy...

So it's almost spring and Puff doesn't seem to know whether he wants to brumate or go for "spring fever" -- in his hide napping one day and head bobbing at us the next. At least he's still eating most of the time. We offer him bugs every day (crickets or roaches and the occasional hornworm splurge) and sometimes he's interested and sometimes not, except for hornworms. He almost never says no to hornworms. :love10:

We don't plan to let him brumate if we can possibly keep him from it -- I don't thinks he's quite healthy enough. His weight is a little below where it should be but holding more or less steady. If he starts losing a lot of weight again it's off to the vet, even though I don't think there's much that they can do about it. But all things considered (adenovirus and age -- he's probably around 8 years old now), I suppose he's doing as well as can be expected.

We'll see how spring affects him. His tank is near the largest window in the house so he can tell the days are getting longer. :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi folks,
It's been a while since I've been doing much of anything on this website so where did everybody go? (besides me). :oops:

Puff is still hanging in there and all things considered, that's pretty good. :) We offer him bugs and veggies every day and most of the time he eats at least something. His weight is holding at around 500 grams but it takes more bugs to maintain that than it used to, so I'm guessing that he may have a little malabsorption, but there's nothing they can do about that if so. You never know with adenovirus. :?

I'm hoping that we won't need to take him to the vet during this covid thing, because they are taking all kinds of precautions to protect the humans from the runaway virus. I would have to drop him off from the car and wouldn't be able to stay with him, so we're not doing that unless absolutely necessary.

Meanwhile, life goes on with the "new normal." My husband is fortunately still working, although his office is closed to the public and most of his coworkers are working from home. He goes in to do maintenance and upgrades on the computers, attend planning meetings (mostly by remote -- Zoom, etc), and he's getting time to study for another certification now that they don't have so many interruptions from customers. Same routine until further notice. Puff and I are home alone almost all the time, and since we're both used to that, it's not a big change for either one of us. Puff is still napping about every other day, which seems to have been, and still is, his new normal for most of this year.

No signs of "spring fever," although now would be the time if his biological clock were set for the northern hemisphere, which it apparently is not. Either that or he's just not quite healthy enough or young enough to get horny anymore.

As for Anchorage, it's almost summer and the snow has melted, although my husband did find some still frozen ground around the house when he was raking about a week ago. :shock: We no longer have total darkness after sundown and we won't again until around August. Everything leafed out and turned green overnight as usual, and it's been a little warmer than usual this spring (50s & low 60s).

After that heatwave last summer, I get nervous when the outside temperature goes above 70. It's very nice right now though. Puff, of course, doesn't mind at all when it gets hot, and we save some electricity on the heat lamps.

That's about all that's new and interesting :blob8: from this end, or maybe new and boring :| . Hopefully you can all enjoy spending some extra time with your beardies while we're all hunkering down for the pandemic. :wink:

-shb

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi!

Refresh my memory--have you always been a moderator or is that a recent promotion?

If so, congratulations from Puff and me... :blob5:

At the moment, Puff is in his hide facing the living room and zoning out. Every once in a while he opens his eyes and gives me "The Look." :| He may or may not come out later and climb the ramp halfway to his basking platform. Typical quiet afternoon at the Baileys. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Brandon and I have been moderators for a few months now to help Tracie out. Lazy afternoon for Darwin too. He is curled up asleep behind the living room chair after a morning of basking, eating a bit of squash and some pineapple treat and looking out the window :lol:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
So do you guys know whatever happened to Deb (Sweetiepie9)? I haven't heard from her for a while. :?

Sure enough, Puff came out of his hide and crawled halfway up the ramp, and he was there when "Daddy" came home from work to give him his bath and stuff him with crickets. Not interested in veggies today, thank you... :roll: Now he's up on his basking platform looking out the side of his tank. I often wonder if he thinks the electrical cord for the lamp is a big black worm. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom