My First Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went through my first brumation. I should say, Lizzie just went through her first brumation. Having never had a reptile for a pet, it was kind of strange to have an animal that didn't eat for two months. Every day I provided fresh salad and Bearded Dragon food, but Lizzie would have no part of it. Today she ate a dozen super worms.

It was nerve-racking to go through, made only worse by the fact that we lost our power for 2 1/2 days after Hurricane Irma. I was able to provide light with my generator but the inside of her enclosure had 100% humidity. The heat was brutal.

When she started going into brumation, she stopped eating her crickets and roaches. I had two crickets and two roaches left that I decided to give a full pardon to. I've been feeding them for two months. I won't feed them to Lizzie now, I'll just let them die of old age. One cricket already died. They must think they are in bug heaven, having some guy providing food and water for them.

I just wanted to thank the owner of the site and everyone for providing such great information about brumation.

Tony

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad she got through it unscathed! I understand how disconcerting it is to see for the first time as I'm just observing my first brumation first hand. How did Lizzie's weight hold up across the brumation period? I'm expecting a little weight loss but nothing significant.

Tonym

Original Poster
She definitely lost a little weight. I could see that. It was more noticeable when I picked her up. Once a week I would give her a bath to hydrate her and she felt like skin and bones. Surprisingly, after I fed her today, she looks normal again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She may or may not be completely done with brumation. :D
How long did it last for? They can brumate for a few weeks to a few months, it seems they
all do something a little different.
I'm glad you got through Irma with little to no problems.

Tracie

Tonym

Original Poster
I think you may be right, Tracie. She still seems to get a little sleepy during the day, but she's a lot more active than she had been for the past 2 months. At least she's eating crickets now, so I feel a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom