Snake's Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all comes down to one thing...letting a 5 year old name her bearded dragon.

Snake is a leather back beardie that just arrived today (9/10/17) He is 5 months old and is very active, despite the long journey we had this morning. During the hour long drive back home, Snake sat on my shoulder watching everything around him. At first I was worried that he would try to jump or run and hide, but he stayed put, and even fell asleep for a bit. Once we arrived home it was cleaning time. I gave his 75 gal tank a good washing along with the decor. Snake sat in his hammock (one of those cheap pop up laundry bags) and watched me do all the hard labor. He's now happily basking and ate a good dinner. My daughter came running in to my room earlier to tell me that he had an "accident" lol.

I'm still not set with the way I have his tank set up and will probably rearrange it soon, but after all the excitement we had today, I didn't want to overstimulate the poor fellow, with a new home and all.

It's been years since I've had a beardie, so any help/suggestions to Snakes home is always welcome and appreciated.

full

full

This is my daughter blowing bubbles which Snake seems really interested in lol
full

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks nice and healthy. How are the surface temps around the tank? On thing I suggest is moving the UVB light over the basking area if you can. That way the most intense UVB will be over the basking area with the warmest temps and will allow an area on the other side with lower temps and lower UVB.

bluedragonark

Original Poster
CooperDragon":33h0j8wm said:
He looks nice and healthy. How are the surface temps around the tank? On thing I suggest is moving the UVB light over the basking area if you can. That way the most intense UVB will be over the basking area with the warmest temps and will allow an area on the other side with lower temps and lower UVB.

The thermometer should be arriving in the mail any day now, and I did end up scooting the UV over just a bit, but I noticed the top of the cover got really warm, from the basking lamp. Do you think that will be an issue?

bluedragonark

Original Poster
9/11/17

Snake has been doing great since we got him home. I was able to take him out of his viv and let him rest on my chest while I was proof reading some papers. The little tike fell asleep! I'm taking that as a good sign, and that he's getting use to me. His head is about to shed soon so he really seemed to like it when I would gently pet him. Hopefully I can post some more photos soon :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Enjoy that. It's good stuff when they fall asleep like that and is a sign he's comfortable with you. If the fixture gets too hot near the basking lamp, cover it with some foil which will diffuse the heat a bit and protect the plastic. When your thermometer arrives, you want to shoot for surface temps between 100-110 in the basking area (probably top of the big branch in this case) and a gradient down to 75-80 or so in the shade and away from the basking lamp. Which type of thermometer are you getting? Keep in mind the probe thermometers need to sit in place for half an hour or more to get accurate temps so they're best for permanent mounts while the IR temp guns are good for spot checking surface temps instantly.

bluedragonark

Original Poster
CooperDragon":yylk1qn6 said:
Enjoy that. It's good stuff when they fall asleep like that and is a sign he's comfortable with you. If the fixture gets too hot near the basking lamp, cover it with some foil which will diffuse the heat a bit and protect the plastic. When your thermometer arrives, you want to shoot for surface temps between 100-110 in the basking area (probably top of the big branch in this case) and a gradient down to 75-80 or so in the shade and away from the basking lamp. Which type of thermometer are you getting? Keep in mind the probe thermometers need to sit in place for half an hour or more to get accurate temps so they're best for permanent mounts while the IR temp guns are good for spot checking surface temps instantly.

Yes its a probe one, I've read that those were better. He's been doing great. I'm able to feed him crickets by hand and he seems more calm now after the relocation process.

bluedragonark

Original Poster
9/23/17

This morning when I woke up, I was sitting in my chair, drinking my coffee and watching Snake ( I had just turned on his lights). After a few minutes passed by I noticed he was doing something different. This was the first time I have seen him puff up his beard. It was so cute!

full

A few hours later I noticed he was stretching out and really showing off those sexy legs lol. That gave me a good laugh.

full

I also ordered him a hammock, which arrived this afternoon. Snake loves it! I had to re arrange his tank a little and there was one little accident where one of the suction cups didn't stick properly. Next think I see is Snake hanging on the side of the hammock for dear life. Things have now been properly restored.

full

Yesterday I tried taking him out in the back fields with his new leash. Needless to say, we still need to work on the leash part. But he did seem to enjoy the car ride up to the school to pick my daughter up. He still happily eats his crickets from our hands so I think he is getting use to the household.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom