Baby Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first dragon today, hes a little baby i named Nazar from pet smart (id have chosen a breeder personally but he was a gift) and hes got some odd habits im not sure if i should be concerned about? When hes sunning he will tilt his head up and upen his mouth towards the light as if hes screaming at the sun, he also falls asleep whenever im holding him and he tries jumping at his reflection in the glass? Sorry if any of these are stupid questions, im just a little more worried than probably necessary since he was from a big corperate. He looks pretty healthy but the mouth thing is whats worrying me the most?

Killjoy01

Original Poster
full
this is the screaming at the sun face

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, and welcome to the forum!! Don't worry about 'stupid questions' - all questions are good questions! First the 'screaming at the sun/light' - this is called 'gaping', and they just do it help regulate their temperature. Kind of like a dog panting. If he falls asleep in your hand, that is good!!! It means he is comfortable around you, and isn't scared, like most baby beardies. Third: beardies aren't the smartest animals...they get confused easily, and can get scared of their reflection, try to fight it, or just try to get to it. This isn't an uncommon thing, and will eventually go away (usually lol).

One thing I noticed is that you have a dial thermometer...please get rid of this immediately!! They are extremely inaccurate, and can be off by as much as 20 degrees! Get a thermometer with a probe, or better yet, a temp gun, which can be found on amazon for less than $20. While we are on the topic of husbandry, could you please tell us what type of UV you have?

Killjoy01

Original Poster
JessPets":3ty1xgiq said:
Hello, and welcome to the forum!! Don't worry about 'stupid questions' - all questions are good questions! First the 'screaming at the sun/light' - this is called 'gaping', and they just do it help regulate their temperature. Kind of like a dog panting. If he falls asleep in your hand, that is good!!! It means he is comfortable around you, and isn't scared, like most baby beardies. Third: beardies aren't the smartest animals...they get confused easily, and can get scared of their reflection, try to fight it, or just try to get to it. This isn't an uncommon thing, and will eventually go away (usually lol).

One thing I noticed is that you have a dial thermometer...please get rid of this immediately!! They are extremely inaccurate, and can be off by as much as 20 degrees! Get a thermometer with a probe, or better yet, a temp gun, which can be found on amazon for less than $20. While we are on the topic of husbandry, could you please tell us what type of UV you have?
Its a 60w bulb, thank you for the info on the thermometer, i wasnt sure about it already since it says its at 100 when it feels much cooler than that. We will be going to pet smart or walmart asap to get sand, a log, and heating mat to go under to cage so ill be sure to pick up one of those as well and im feeling iffy about the bulb so i might get a better one if i can anyway

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Killjoy01":2vgx1xns said:
JessPets":2vgx1xns said:

Its a 60w bulb, thank you for the info on the thermometer, i wasnt sure about it already since it says its at 100 when it feels much cooler than that. We will be going to pet smart or walmart asap to get sand, a log, and heating mat to go under to cage so ill be sure to pick up one of those as well and im feeling iffy about the bulb so i might get a better one if i can anyway

Okay, before you go and dump a whole lot of money on all that let me tell you - DON'T GET SAND!!!!! Any loose substrate can cause impaction, which can be fatal!!! Also, you don't need a heat mat - beardies need a heat lamp. As far a heat lamps, all you need is a halogen (one like this:
87623-6048371787.jpg

and a dimmer (like this one - $12 on Amazon)
87623-5863662823.jpg

And as far as UV, what brand is it? Is it a long tube type bulb, coil, or compact? How old is it, and how far away is it?

Killjoy01

Original Poster
JessPets":212hpnz1 said:
Killjoy01":212hpnz1 said:
JessPets":212hpnz1 said:

Okay, before you go and dump a whole lot of money on all that let me tell you - DON'T GET SAND!!!!! Any loose substrate can cause impaction, which can be fatal!!! Also, you don't need a heat mat - beardies need a heat lamp. As far a heat lamps, all you need is a halogen (one like this:
87623-6048371787.jpg

and a dimmer (like this one - $12 on Amazon)
87623-5863662823.jpg

And as far as UV, what brand is it? Is it a long tube type bulb, coil, or compact? How old is it, and how far away is it?

Its a compact bulb with a ceramic cone, both are brand new and its resting on top of the screen of the cage. What should i use to heat him at night? Most of the forum posts are saying leaving it on disturbs their sleeping patterns and im worried about it catching fire as either the bulb or cone smells weird, i know heating rocks are bad and some people are saying they can detect infared as well so im not sure what to use. My house drops to a steady 70 at night but we live in minnesota so the temp will be dropping soon

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Right now, you are fine. If your temps start dropping below 65, get yourself a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). These produce only heat, no light. Don't use one during the day though, as your beardie needs to see the heat.

The compact bulbs aren't nearly strong enough for beardies. Get your self a ReptiSun 10.0 t5 22" (found on amazon for $25 or so), and a fixture ($30+). The bulb only needs to be replaced every year or so.

Killjoy01

Original Poster
JessPets":1rhbbubb said:
Right now, you are fine. If your temps start dropping below 65, get yourself a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). These produce only heat, no light. Don't use one during the day though, as your beardie needs to see the heat.

The compact bulbs aren't nearly strong enough for beardies. Get your self a ReptiSun 10.0 t5 22" (found on amazon for $25 or so), and a fixture ($30+). The bulb only needs to be replaced every year or so.
Okay, again thank you so much, ive become really attached to him suprisingly fast and id hate myself if i ended up hurting him. Do you know of any other materials toxic to them besides cedar wood? Like would foam or fish tank decor be alright? I have cichild hide away rocks in the tank for him since hes small enough to fit, theyre either made of a high quality plastic or a granite, theres no injestable pieces sticking off so i think itd be fine but my step dad told me to check just to make sure

Killjoy01

Original Poster
JessPets":2lx7dwej said:
Go ahead and post a pic of it here, though it should be fine. You can upload pics here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics to your post.
94134-1387363216.jpg
94134-6564373663.jpg
They will be out once hes bigger than them of course but im hoping he can use them.as hideaways (hes still pretty nervous o think as he doesnt move much unless climbing on to me or up his stick)

Savora

Hatchling Member
Your new little fella is adorable! I'm so happy to see you also taking our advice in regards to beardie husbandry. Beardies are expensive to keep at first (what with buying the quality UVB bulb and fixture) but are cheap thereafter and also a wonderful investment. Looks like he's off to a good start with a good home!

Also, that little rock hide you have should be perfect for him. Though, he'll probably outgrow that soon, if all goes well--healthy beardies tend to grow pretty fast!

Keep us updated with him!

Killjoy01

Original Poster
Savora":1j34ie48 said:
Your new little fella is adorable! I'm so happy to see you also taking our advice in regards to beardie husbandry. Beardies are expensive to keep at first (what with buying the quality UVB bulb and fixture) but are cheap thereafter and also a wonderful investment. Looks like he's off to a good start with a good home!

Also, that little rock hide you have should be perfect for him. Though, he'll probably outgrow that soon, if all goes well--healthy beardies tend to grow pretty fast!

Keep us updated with him!
Thank you! I'll get this stuff as soon as i can, definatly the heating equipment before our first freeze over in October. I have another tank lines up for him but it just needs to be cleaned out as its been outside for a few years (my freind had a dragon a few years ago and her tank has been out in the garage since he died) so i will get the bigger hide aways once thats set up. Ive seen a few people with hammocks for them, do they seem to like that? And does anyone have a reccomendation for a good size/brand pool, as he currently enjoys lounging in his water bowl but he will outgrow it very soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom