Adoption update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as most of you know I lost my dragon a while back and after a lot of mourning really got a hard dose of empty tank syndrome. I ran across a couple adopting this guy out and in the pictures he looked.. rough. So I went and got him and he was a BEAST. Pictures just don't do this guy justice. The couple said he was abandoned to him and they'd had him for a few months, but they needed his tank for the clutch of eggs they had hatching anyday. I think they did semi-ok for him being dumped on them, but he was on sand, hours were a mess, and he's got shed that looks old and I'm working on daily.

So fast forward to now: he's lost a decent amount of weight, but in a good way. His coccicida is cleared up and he's not getting supers twice a day everyday anymore. He was a bit pudgy. Now he's a lean mean veggie machine.

He apparently doesn't like being outside. I tried to take him for a walk yesterday and he was peeved off. Puffed up and his and snapped and turned near black all over.

I knew he's had some shed that looked old and I've been soaking him a few times a week. His belly is two different colors and it looks like his shed is just not breaking loose, no damage just not loosening. Well yesterday when he turned black I saw every single place where that shed is FINALLY starting to "grey" up. Half his body has "shed skin patches" and the places underneath where he has shed are such a gorgeous light/white tan and he's very pale.

He head bobs all the time and loves playing in running water. So much personality!! Makes me sad anyone could ever abandon him. He still doesn't have a name so we all just call him fat boy and I'm afraid it's starting to stick

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so glad to hear he's doing well under your care! I love reading good rescue stories like this. Go easy on the outside but you may be able to ease him into it over time. It took about a year for me to get Darwin used to outside time. He'd just never really been out of a small tank before. He's fine with it now but it took almost a year to get him to even try without beard flaring and skittering off.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Awe come on.... Be a good Zombie and, post some pics, lol!

Built up to it and, instantly......nothin, lmao!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Such a happy looking guy =).

Are you using Safari to upload photos? I've found on my mac that it is often easier to use Firefox to upload. Sometimes with Safari they just don't go through.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm on my phone, but yes it's safari. I'll try Firefox next time!!

Btw, how many peppers are too many? This guys goes bizerk on them. He'all eat as many as I'll give him and just is crazy over the red ones. I buy the baby bells and cut thin slivers. But I don't want to give him an upset belly.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They're a pretty healthy option so as long as they're being digested he should be able to handle plenty. I would try to mix in some greens and other veges too though. I use bell pepper frequently but it's just a component of the salad.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I rotate between collards and dandelion greens daily, a big huge heaping pile of them. Then squash, carrot slivers, red cabbage broccoli sliver mix, and peppers. But I'll make sure he can have more then instead of limiting

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So today I treated lil man and got some strawberries and sweet potatoe slivers-shaped like noodles. He is killing me!!! He jumped in and grabbed a big mouthful of red, I assume thinking it was a red pepper, and was instantly taken aback. I'm dying laughing watching him stare down the red like it's going to leap on him!! He'll pace around it like a cat ready to leap on a bug. He has no idea what to think and he still keeps going in for bites but like he's slowly torturing it. He reminds me so much of a cat right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom