A story of hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
We rescued a bearded dragon out of a Florida garage. She was blind, weighed 280g and was severely dehydrated. One eye had a white film and the other eye was completely unable to open. She had a coil UVB bulb of unknown age and a red night bulb. Apparently her lights were on 23 hours per day.

We knew nothing about bearded dragons. But it was obvious that her situation was so bad that we just couldn’t leave her there. We heard from one person that she hadn’t eaten for 6 months at one point. And it was obvious that she hadn’t eaten for a long time again before she came to us. We think she’s about 2 years old. She had a name but we never used it as was a reminder of a bad time. We just started calling her “Baby”.

We took her to the vet. She said, well, I’ll put her down if you want or we can try a series of antibiotic shots. We went with the antibiotic shots and decided to give her a chance. The vet took pictures of her eyes to post in a forum to see if anyone would have a solution because she had never seen this before.

As soon as Baby came to us, I started reading everything I could find about bearded dragons. This website was very helpful in pointing me at the coil bulb and the red bulb. We got her a T5 Reptisun 10 and a ceramic heating element (CHE). This was a good decision because the vet also wanted her warm at night and we could immediately put the CHE to use. We also gave her baths every day, which our little dragon hated.

In the beginning, still blind, she would jump off her basking platform and run until she hit the other side of the aquarium. Then she would flail around. We got her a hammock and a ladder and she loved that. She spent most of her time on the hammock but still would run and hit the wall. We got her more hammocks until every time she ran, she would encounter a hammock and just simply stop and climb on it. That stopped her banging into walls.

Every 3 or 4 days we took her to the vet to get a shot in the arm. And a few days after the Reptisun 10 arrived and after the first couple of shots, she had that one eye open that she couldn’t open before. We also took her outside for at least 30 minutes every day to get some sun. It still took about 3 weeks more until she stopped always putting her arms first while moving, like when she was blind.

We force fed her for the first week but she so completely hated it and we stopped. She didn’t lose any weight and the vet said that’s fine and to just continue to offer salad. We had offered different things from the garden (chard, basil, tomato, etc.) but she didn’t eat. Then I bought some collard greens and offered it to her and she took the leaf! I can’t tell you what a feeling that was. She started eating collard greens and dandelions, but only with hand feeding.

After some time on the antibiotic shots and after the Reptisun 10 had been there for a little while, the eye that had been white became more translucent and it was possible to make out the pupil.

Throughout this time, we also offered different worms and crickets but she completely ignored them. When we finally got a superworm into her mouth, she immediately spat it back out. We also tried different commercial foods but no luck. We were still hand feeding salads when the 6th antibiotics shot came around. That should have been the last shot but the vet decided to extend the shots until she ate on her own. The morning of the 8th shot, she ate by herself and the vet said we could stop at this point unless there was a relapse.

She was at a stable weight of 360g and she still hadn’t eaten any proteins so I decided to try one more commercial product and ordered Repashy Grub Pie. It arrived on the day of the 8th shot and I tried some that night. She was definitely interested but we had to go through some figuring out how she would be able to eat it. Things have to stick to her tongue or she won’t eat them. If I smeared it on a salad leaf, she would eat it. I also got some great feeding ideas from this forum, which will help going forward. But at least now she finally started to gain weight and yesterday, she was over 400g!

We also set up an outside-the-aquarium area for her with towels to soften any jumps, a hammock and a mercury vapor bulb because she hates being in the aquarium. She loves being outside and she needs the exercise because her back-leg muscles are not very strong. A couple of days ago, she took her first 3 real steps, with her belly high off the ground!

92480-559236538.jpg

She has started to shed, which we're taking as a good sign. Her body is finally healthy enough to produce new skin. Interestingly, the new skin is a much lighter color (see her neck). Right now she looks like she's wearing an orange suit with a white turtle neck.

92480-5595078682.jpg

She can also definitely now see out of the eye that was completely white. It still doesn’t look quite as clear as the other eye, but it’s obvious that she can see. She is starting to get more and more coordinated while moving and climbing and I’m looking forward to many more positive changes.

I wanted to post her story to show that there’s definitely hope, even if things look really bad. In the beginning, I would have never thought such progress possible but she astounded us all.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I love reading these stories. She is lucky to have you as a slave "I mean owner"! You're doing a great job, keep up the good work.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Miracle dragon. :shock: It's amazing that she survived, and (as has already been said), she's lucky to have a human "slave" who's willing to take such good care of her. She looks like she's doing really well. :D

Another shameless plug for Repashy Grub Pie from me -- good stuff. And our finicky beardie actually likes it, too. It does, however, seem to make a pretty good laxative, sometimes even a little too good, unless he's constipated. :wink:

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
What an awesome story!!! You are so amazing, to rescue and help this poor, innocent, and neglected creature. Thank you for rescuing her!!!

Ollie2

Original Poster
Thank you! :)

There are still divets in her tail so I think she has some more weight to gain. I'm going to have to measure her length one of these days. She doesn't like the metal measuring stick. Maybe a sowing measuring tape would work better.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That's a nice healthy weight and she looks good. :D

Maybe the metal is too cold -- a wooden yardstick might also work better if you have one, or the tape measure like you said.

Ollie2

Original Poster
She actually was nicely stretched out today and I managed to measure her: She's 20 inches.

Tonight she didn't seem to be that hungry. She still ate nicely but not as much anymore as during the last couple of weeks. So I think you're right and we're getting to a good point. :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That's a nice size. She may still gain a little more weight more slowly, but it sounds like she's recovered nicely with your good care. She's probably got her full length -- do you know how old she is?

I don't worry too much if my reptiles eat a little less than usual once in a while. If they don't eat at all for too long and for no apparent reason, that's when I start thinking about calling the vet. I used to take my snake to the vet when he went on hunger strikes until I realized it was happening every spring and he was just hormonal, and if he loses any weight at all he makes up for it in the late summer and early fall when he turns back into the carnivorous couch potato.

Your beardie has probably been making up for being half starved by eating more than she normally would, so you're probably going to have to get used to how much food it takes her to maintain a healthy weight now that she's almost there. It might be kind of like trying to hit a moving target for a while.

Ollie2

Original Poster
We think she's 2 years old but don't know exactly. She loves veggies and I feed her mornings and afternoons. But I reduced the amount of grub pie I'm giving her and I'll weigh her again on Sunday.

Moving target - yes, exactly! We're going to have to figure out how much to feed now...

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You're lucky she's learned to like veggies somewhere along the line. Some beardies never do, especially if they were raised on junk food.

Grub Pie is also a good thing to keep around for emergencies in case you can't get live bugs and fresh greens for a while because the powder has a long shelf life, and you can freeze it once you make it into the gel, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom