Alucard's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try not to make this introduction too upsetting.

After the sudden and tragic passing of my two year old, Simon, I had an empty enclosure and a beardie sized hole in my heart.
89300-3843667037.jpg
Simon was buried in my front yard, and a red maple tree was planted on her grave site as a memorial. Richter came to show his respects. As time passes, this whole area will be converted into a beautiful garden in her honor. Rest in peace, Simon. You were truly loved.

I'm on day two now and am still grieving horribly, but if I could turn her empty enclosure into a great home for another dragon and give them a good life, why not start now.

Alucard has been introduced to the house. She will never replace Simon and she knows she has big shoes to fill. She was also taken out to pay her respects to Simon's memorial site. She is a normal morph little girl beardie, just like Simon, and has a lot of spunk and a big appetite.
89300-7798508443.jpg
89300-3971542507.jpg
89300-1875719643.jpg
89300-339092631.jpg
89300-291837301.jpg

She's about two months old, 8.5", and 32g.
She will inevitably lose the very tip of her tail, but it looks like this is healing well and will not cause her any concern.

I look forward to the love and laughter she brings to me and appreciate her presence turning Simon's home into something positive again.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Sorry to hear about your Simon. It's so hard when we lose them :(

Your new baby looks beautiful. You sound like me when I lost my Evee. I couldn't stomach the empty enclosure and ended up getting Charlie sooner than I thought I would get a new beardie. I miss my Evee snuggles, but Charlie is learning :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
NBGwen":u5y9trhr said:
Sorry to hear about your Simon. It's so hard when we lose them :(

Your new baby looks beautiful. You sound like me when I lost my Evee. I couldn't stomach the empty enclosure and ended up getting Charlie sooner than I thought I would get a new beardie. I miss my Evee snuggles, but Charlie is learning :)

It is incredibly hard. I haven't had a dry eye in over a day now, since finding her on Wednesday, clearly dying. I have Richter to help ease the hurt, but the empty enclosure was a constant painful reminder.

I am hopeful that Alucard is up to the task of patching up my broken heart.

Right now Richter is giving her the old one two head bob, and she's waving back. Might have to get him out of site do she doesn't stress out
Welcome to the family, Alucard

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Yes, that sounds like a good idea until Alucard is more settled in. When I found Evee, I was just like you. I tried so hard to save her (she was sick for a long time). But Charlie has been a huge help in filling that void. I do believe that I will always have at least one beardie in my life until the end of my days. I couldn't imagine not having one.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What's sad is I have no idea how long Simon was sick, but looking back I think it may have been for a while.
It became noticeable in her final two months, she lost interest in food first, and then had urate issues, but in beardie fashion she displayed no distress until her last 12 hours when she immediately became critical.
The vet couldn't figure out why she wasn't eating and pointed out she was retaining fluid during her first few visits. It wasn't until after she passed she was discovered to have cancer in her kidneys. It's good to know that no matter what I would have done the result would have been the same which spares me the guilt, but I feel so badly regardless. She didn't deserve this, and didn't deserve to die in such pain. She was so loved.

Right now I honestly just feel empty. I of course love my other pets but I feel empty inside, like I just need Simon back to feel anything again, but of course that will never happen. I have this very adorable little dragon that I want to love but I'm not there yet. And I have Richter who I know I of course love, but looking at him now I just feel incomplete. I guess that's what grief just is, and I'll have to heal over time.

I want to give Alucard a great life and love her just as much as I loved Simon, which will only happen after the wound has healed. In the meantime, she gets a nice enclosure with all the right fixin's to be a happy healthy dragon.
She's been exploring everything and eating her roaches, but is skittish. I know she'll get past it, Simon was a skittish baby, too. She's climbed her wall, jumped onto her bridge, and skittered around licking everything. She'll be a great beardie, and I know I'll feel more attached to her once I begin to heal.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think you'll really enjoy your new adventures with Alucard and I look forward to hearing about them. I'm glad she has found such a great home and chance at a wonderful life in your care.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
89300-7322715688.jpg

Thank you for the positivity.
I made some adjustments to her enclosure to make it feel different and break my mind of expecting to see Simon in there.
89300-3359200251.jpg
89300-5760108586.jpg

She had a poo today and something tells me this was the first time she's had live food. She seems to be digging it and accepted food from my fingers with no issue.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I got a bit sad hearing of today's events, for you and for Simon!
I am happy you got little Alucard to help get you through this rough time. I know how you feel and, that you can never forget her. The only thing you can do is let your new little one fill the void and, love him. It will get easier with time.
He is a cutie for sure!

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Hellooo, Alucard!

What an adorable little thing she is! I was so very sorry to hear about Simon, I know she was dearly loved. It's always devastating to lose one of the family, scaley or not. It will never go away, but it will definitely get easier, especially with a new little bundle to enjoy.

Me and Thomas wish you all the best of luck, and can't wait to hear about Alucard's new adventures!! (Love that happy little toasty face!)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your support.
Since the original post, I have since turned her resting place into a small garden. I take Richter to visit the site often.
89300-7076844009.jpg

Little Alucard is such a cheeky little bundle of fun. She loves her food, her basking stick, waving at stuff, and taking poops. She's still a little unsure of her new home, but she's warming up to it very quickly. She's also a super heavy little sleeper, just like Simon was.
89300-7267063912.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
fuchsiaSkies":wwy35vze said:
Too cute! Thomas never waves. He just assumes he's the all-powerful dragon master. :lol:

Richter used to wave to Simon when he was smaller, but now he's too manly and head bobs all the time. Thought about uploading one of those videos too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom