It's a boy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no plans on breeding my bearded dragon, but I've had him for 3 months as of today. He has grown immensely. I contacted the people I got him from to inquire about his age since I completely spaced on asking when I took him on impulse. He was apparently 4-5 months old. He's very tame, but he's also quite shy. If I change anything in his tank it takes him a few days to adjust.

The first time I tried to check for the presence of a hemipenis he was uncomfortable with me touching his tail (he bearded and jumped off my hand, I had him in the tank close to the ground so he didn't hurt himself). I've been patient. I've been holding him, petting him, hand feeding him, calling him a pretty lizard, and slowly building up trust. It's been a mutual exercise, I think, because I'm no longer afraid of his impressive acrodont dentition since I started the hand feeding.

I had noticed lately that he has large femoral pores, and after a while of gently running the back of my finger along his tail he was comfortable enough to let me check. I saw two parallel bulges rather than one bulge going along the center. This photo is a bit old because he started shedding today. He's getting huge (From nose tip to tail tip he's about 13.5") and there's a lot of orange coloration coming in.
lXXZjit.jpg

EllenCG

Original Poster
Thank you! :) I'm super happy with him. It's been a bit weird having such a fast moving reptile since most of my experience has been with tortoises. He requires the same level of patience but he's a little speed demon compared to them! It's vastly improved my ability to handle wild lizards at least. I have some potatoes in containers out in the garden and tree lizards are attracted to them. They have no problem jumping down from the wall to get in, but can't seem to get out without assistance since the sides of the container are so slippery.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's crazy how quick they can be when they want to. Normal running is pretty quick but if they dart off from being scared by something I can't catch them even if I'm sitting right next to them!

EllenCG

Original Poster
I'm used to my tortoises moving at a speed of less than 0.5 miles per hour. I used to think they moved at a reasonable pace (and they truly do, they have a giant plate of bone covered in plates of keratin of course they're going to be slow) but now it seems like they move in slow motion after watching Nub zip around.

I'm just glad a lot of their foods cross over. I grow a lot of stuff for my tortoises and Nub being able to eat it too is a huge help. I just fixed up a tortoise-and-beardie salad using some squash, carrot, nopalitos, dandelion greens, kohlrabi, collard greens and a bit of bok choy. I added some crickets to Nub's and some fairy duster flowers to the tortoises'. The tortoises normally eat native plants almost exclusively, but it's the weird time of the season when the winter harvest is dying off and the summer harvest hasn't quite come in yet in the bulk that I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom