Well hello Vitra

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's been 2 weeks since I got this gal she seen vet yesterday got her dot of nail polish
90823-9526937142.jpg
Is healthy girl all tests show and for first time this morning she is welcoming me I feel
90823-6564726988.jpg
No Temps are not too hot only 103 by basking. I did my online final for pharmacy tech so was up late till 1 ish s slept in aN this is what I woke up to hehe love her so much already

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
She is beautiful, and looks very healthy.
That dot seems awfully close to her third eye. "The one used to regulate her body temp"! I have never heard of this kind of treatment.
Did this vet by chance have a string of bones around his/her neck coupled with a grass skirt or just webbed feet, lmao?

Just seems kinda weird to me!

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Yeah... you need to get that polish off immediately. It's on top of her pineal gland. This is vital to helping her regulate temperature and sensing objects from above. She could easily get too hot and become disoriented with that there. I've never heard of such a treatment, but I can imagine putting nail polish on the skin of any animal would be detrimental.

Jami42500

Original Poster
I understand and appreciate the thought behind the remarks the vet is one I got from this site for my area Dr driggers herp vet 22 yrs.he suggested this due to my concern for her getting egg bound I've never had a female bd. They have had no ill effects from this due to its regulate the tank temperature 105 to 80 I control the light 14 hrs on she is eating fine and pooping fine no parasites etc she ate today until assisted (hand fed) by me soo proud.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Okay. Do what you want. But just because one whack-job vet is putting nail polish on a live animal's head does not mean it's right.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Jami42500":bbxdoues said:
Your right just as some say birth control pills are wrong
I don't think the ovulating thing is what we are refering to as much as he put an acitone based product on a sensory organ of a reptile, which in my opinion makes him either a quack or a morron. I don't care if he has 200 years of reptile specific experience, you just don't do that. Not to my dragon you don't! It would be more humane to do the surgery.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
That's a pretty bad comparison. This is an animal we are talking about. It doesn't have a choice. You however have a choice whether or not to take birth control (which, unlike this nail polish hokum, runs almost no risk of killing whoever is involved).

Additionally, the nail polish will flake off when she sheds, and she could eat it. They have a habit of eating shed as it contains extra calcium. As I'm sure you are well aware, nail polish is toxic. Again, I am merely looking out for the best interest of your dragon.

PM Drache613, CooperDragons, Rankins, or any of the other pros here. They will likely agree.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Jami42500":2kafde1q said:
I understand and appreciate the thought behind the remarks the vet is one I got from this site for my area Dr driggers herp vet 22 yrs.he suggested this due to my concern for her getting egg bound I've never had a female bd. They have had no ill effects from this due to its regulate the tank temperature 105 to 80 I control the light 14 hrs on she is eating fine and pooping fine no parasites etc she ate today until assisted (hand fed) by me soo proud.
What really concerns me about this is, this is being advocated by an alleged herp vet and, you say you found him on this site!!! Disturbing!

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Gormagon":24kqsl5g said:
Jami42500":24kqsl5g said:
What really concerns me about this is, this is being advocated by an alleged herp vet and, you say you found him on this site!!! Disturbing!

Agreed. I'd love to hear the input of some of the admins and mods here.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hey all,

I hate to fan up the flames of an old argument, but wanted to add my two cents as I just stumbled on this discussion (though neither the OP or those that have responded are likely looking for more info on the subject :lol: )

Non-toxic fingernail polish is used on bearded dragons when breeders mark their clutch. They use a small colored dot, and this is widely used in the breeding community.

However.

I was able to find zero evidence online that putting a dot of nail polish (or anything) over the third eye/sensory gland of a female does anything for ovulation. Though I doubt he charged for it, it sounds like he was trying to sell you snake oil :wink: basically I think it's a load of phooey that will do more harm than good.

In general, putting nail polish on a bearded dragon outside of marking clutches is generally discouraged due to health concerns and whether or not it is necessary. I have read of people using a non-toxic animal oriented nail polish to "patch" broken turtle shells and scales, however, even then they don't recommend it for even that.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Thank you for the info, TDP. I don't think the OP cares about our helpful advice or research, as he/she fought everything we had to say. We can only lead a horse to water, I suppose.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your beardie is beautiful.

I have never heard of putting nail polish over the pineal eye to stop ovulation either and I don't understand how that could possibly work. Sure seems like it would prevent her from thermoregulating properly though or even somewhat melt into her skin when she is under the lights.

Did he suggest you keep applying? Do you know if it is non-toxic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom