Scared me half to death

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some things your beardie does that scares you sometimes? My beardie, Furiosa, ALWAYS tries to jump from the bed to the window that is 3 feet off the ground!
88523-3041833518.jpg
(The face of innocence )

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I was about to post a thread like this earlier today!

As I was laying on my back, relaxing with Thane and petting her nose, she made her way up toward my chest. I continued patting her, but I noticed that she was looking up at my forehead. All of a sudden, WHOOSH, she launched herself onto my face! No eyes or dragons were injured in the process, thankfully.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Haha...my Rankins haven't done anything to scare me. But my Gila monsters and beaded lizards like to hiss, head bump my hands, or even bite my gloves. Obviously the gloves prevent envenomation...but it still startles me.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Both my Gila monsters and beaded lizards are venomous. Not deadly venomous, just very painfully venomous if bitten.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Oh okay. I didn't know people owned venomous reptiles! My beardie is my first and only lizard thus far, so I'm a noob. But I'm obsessed now!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, yes there are people I know that have cobras, vipers, rattlesnakes...deadly stuff. I am not brave (crazy?) enough to keep anything deadly. :)

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I guess I still like cute and cuddly more than scary and dangerous, although most cuddly things make me sneeze. That's why I got into reptiles! Beardies are still pretty cute and cuddly though. Mine lives for bedtime cuddles on my neck.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Well, I can totally understand that. Lots of people really like bearded dragons because they are usually really friendly and appear to like interaction with humans.
I know a guy that handles hundreds of venomous snakes frequently and all it takes is one mistake to end up dead. Obviously he doesn't freehandle them or he would be dead by now. He's good with a snake hook.

Pebble enjoys cuddling very close to the face and neck and hair. When he's going from cuddling to sleep mode he tends to burrow or dig.. in your neck and hair... which is a luxurious experience. I've rounded down his nails with a file but they're still there. I'm sure you can imagine the feeling relaxing and cuddling your dragon and feeling nails and spikes scratching and wrapping around your neck after a few minutes. He also likes to run up to my face when I make kissy lips and lick my bottom lip. Not sure if he think's its food or if its a kiss from him but the first times terrified me and I thought he was going to bite my lips off LOL :lol:
90030-345023824.jpg
90030-2096717013.jpg

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
prklyprogi":3psqu2ra said:
I've rounded down his nails with a file but they're still there. I'm sure you can imagine the feeling relaxing and cuddling your dragon and feeling nails and spikes scratching and wrapping around your neck after a few minutes.

I was worried about having to file Thane's nails, but now that we have ceramic tile as her flooring, we don't have to! She files them herself.

She does tend to wake us up before we're ready oftentimes with her little nails though! She is a very demanding master who wants bugs as soon as her lights come on, and she runs back and forth in search of them as if to say, SERVE ME, PEASANTS!

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
Phira doesn't really do anything that scares me. He has taken some pretty big falls and always comes out fine. There was one time that he jumped on to a sheet that was hanging off the counter so I could fold it and it covered him up... A lot... then the dog saw me, got excited and started jumping around on the sheet.... that was kind of scary. But I found phira on the other side, away from the dog. Then there was the time that I was watching "Arachnophobia" and he crawled on to my shoulder... I'm a pretty big guy, but I screamed like a little girl and I am not ashamed to admit it.

RaptorTrainer

Original Poster
I've had Fury jump on my face plenty of times! Another thing that scares me more than him falling is when the cat tries to get him. I always put the cat in a different room than fury is in, but my sister will let her out with out knowing, so I end up chasing down a cat who is trying to stalk a lizard....

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yep -- face climbing to get up on top of the human's head. Been there, done that. :mrgreen: Fortunately, our reptile vet does a really nice job trimming and filing his little claws, so no damage gets done. :)

The scariest thing for me was when I was sitting in a chair holding him, and there was a little piece of skin that he had just shed sitting on the table in front of me, and I leaned forward to pick it up and take a closer look at it, and he picked that moment to get wiggly and twist around, and the next thing I knew he landed splat on the floor. I was afraid he was hurt, but didn't see any obvious evidence of broken bones, etc. After I put him back in his terrarium he spent half the day in his hide, so I took him out to check on him later in the day, and we watched him for signs of injury for the next few days, but he seemed ok, so I suppose that he was mostly stunned and frightened. So was I. :shock:

:!: Rule #1 for reptile safety (learned the hard way): Never Take Your Attention Off Of Them (even for a moment) When They're Out Of Their Enclosure.

And I also prefer cute and cuddly. Bearded dragons and corn snakes do nicely. I'll leave scary and dangerous for the more adventurous types. Me, I have NO sense of adventure. :oops: I agree with the hobbits: Adventures are nasty disturbing uncomfortable things that make one late for dinner. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom