Wow I cant believe how much Ryder has grown!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we brought Ryder home with us only last month only weighing 8 grams and measuring at 6.5" he has grown and filled out so much already! As of today he is now 25 grams and 8.5" long. I hate that I don't know exactly how old he is but I'm guessing 3 months old ??? I know that measurements and weights vary with each dragon but does that sound about right?? How much do they gain with in a week normally?

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Awesome! Sounds like he's doing great. :D My little guy came home with me at a little less than 3 months, and he weighed 24 grams, so I'd say your estimate is probably pretty close. Did you get him from a pet store or a breeder? If the latter, they will be able to tell you his hatch date pretty easily. They grow super fast and eat like machines when they're young, mine seemed to put on about 10-15ish grams a week, sometimes more!

MIMI510

Original Poster
Unfortunately we got him from Petco so they dont know the hatch date. You are right about them eating a lot... Ryder can normally finish off 150 XS Dubias in a week. I purchased some previously from a local shop that were too big to feed him so Im going to try to start a colony with those ones. He just finished the last of the XS ones today and I ended up having to place a new order for 500 of them so hopefully they will arrive soon because I hate Crickets. I think that the XS were getting to be too small for him so I ended up ordering the size small this time...lol

Wow..10-15ish grams a week! I think the most Ive seen Ryder gain was 7 g in a week.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Well, if you think about it, 1 gram is a lot more to an 8 gram baby than it is to a 25 gram one. So don't get too hung up on the numbers, it is all relative, of course!! :D

The great thing about dubias is the lack of super crunchy (and hard-to-digest) shell! I think you are probably more than okay to give him the 'smalls' instead of the 'extra smalls'. Sounds like our babies are right on par with their size relative to age, and my guy gobbled up the 'smalls' like nobody's business! I agree... Crickets are the freakin worst! They jump, they smell, they make noise, and they're not as good as other bugs for the dragons!

Anyway... Can we get some pictures?? Sounds like your little guy is doing great, and nothing warms the heart like a happy, healthy dragon!! ((And the babies are soooooo cute, trying to convince my significant other that we need more... :p ))

MIMI510

Original Poster
fuchsiaSkies":36sl01sv said:
Anyway... Can we get some pictures?? Sounds like your little guy is doing great, and nothing warms the heart like a happy, healthy dragon!! ((And the babies are soooooo cute, trying to convince my significant other that we need more... :p ))

You asked for it...lol...
90167-9106378937.jpg

90167-9720393200.jpg

90167-6890008934.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
He's adorable!
Dragons grow like they mean it when provided all the right stuff.

I just had to upgrade from small dubias to mediums for my 5 1/2 month old. He was going through them like popcorn at a good movie :roll:

MIMI510

Original Poster
fuchsiaSkies":3jzk968u said:
So adorable! Looks like a happy little guy! And check out that sexy leg... :lol:

He really is too cute! I'm so in love with him it's crazy! I've owned a lot of pets from Tortoises, Parakeets, Fish, Chinchillas and Dogs but I must say that Ryder is my fav! Sometimes I can't wait to come home so I can spend time with him.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
I know, right? These little guys are addictive. I'm a chef and work crazy hours, so it makes me sad sometimes when I get home late and the timers for the lights are off and he's already snuggled in fast asleep. (Though sometimes I still get him out for snuggles, gotta get the dragon fix in! :lol: ) He's doing his sleepy time wiggle and hanging out in my hoodie right now, managed to make it home just before lights out tonight. :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
My first and only beardie was about a year old when I got him, so I've had no experience with how fast the little ones grow or how much they eat. Wow :shock: :!:
They don't ever seem to grow out of their cuteness, though :love5:
Gotta love the "sleepytime wiggle" (I call it a cross between "snuggle up" and "dig in").

MIMI510

Original Poster
SHBailey":3fqnneck said:
My first and only beardie was about a year old when I got him, so I've had no experience with how fast the little ones grow or how much they eat. Wow :shock: :!:
They don't ever seem to grow out of their cuteness, though :love5:
Gotta love the "sleepytime wiggle" (I call it a cross between "snuggle up" and "dig in").

I swear he just at 30 small dubias a few minutes ago. They can eat a lot! I just got my order for 500 roaches and now Im thinking that I should have ordered more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom