Happy News!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linus and Onyx both had their annual physicals today, and I am happy to say that so far, everything looks tip-top! I say so far, because part of Linus's blood tests are sent off for further tests. (he got the full blood panel done. His calcium, liver, and kidney tests were perfect, and his development and weight were right on the mark. I was SO relieved; especially because I have spent the last 3 months pulling my hair out because he wasn't eating very well, not pooping, ect. The vet did a full physical, said he had no blockages, his mouth and teeth looked good, he wasn't dehydrated or anything.

I brought along his supplements, and liquid calcium and vitamins and told him how throughout the winter I had been making slurries and nose feeding him (the drop on the nose and let him lick it off) to make sure that he wasn't falling behind nutrition wise. The vet told me that I was doing everything just right. He looked over the pics that I had brought with me to review both lizard's habitats, and went over the heat and uvb numbers, like he does for every visit, and was satisfied with Linus's upkeep and tempermant. The only other thing he remarked on was that Linus was extremely spoiled, and really only wanted me to handle him.

Now on to Onyx.....If you have one well behaved child, nature looks to have a balance. Onyx is that balance. He tried to bite the vet. He refused to open his mouth, and whipped the vet with his tail. Now a beardie tail stings, but a uromastyx tail can do real damage, because they are armored just like crocodiles. I think that our vet now has a new bruise on his hand. The best thing that he could get done with onyx was to do the outward physical exam, and vent/femoral pores check. He wasn't able to draw blood, thanks to the wiggleworm little lizard thinks hes a giant croc behaving badly, so he has to come back in next week to get a light sedation so they can draw blood and get a full mouth check. Hopefully when he goes in to spend the day he will give them a fresh poo.

Onyx isn't a bad tempered lizard, but we believe that he was wild-caught, and will only act docile for me. Normally he isnt skittish with me, but if anyone else handles him he starts fighting them. For as little as he was able to do with Onyx, he still thinks my little angry lizard doesn't have anything to worry about health-wise, but next weeks day visit should let us know. I'm just glad that Onyx isn't the size of a Monitor lizard, and I'm sure the vet is to. If he were, the vet would demand hazard pay! lol

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Glad everything went well other than the vet getting whacked with a spiked tail. Uros do like to use those spikes to get their point across. I use to have several species of them. The ornates and acanthanurus are my favorites.
My vet hasn't ever seen my Rankins dragons because they have been healthy and haven't needed to go. But he has seen my Gila monsters and Mexican beaded lizards. I always take a pair of welding gloves just in case he needs to handle them. So far he hasn't decided he wants to do it. So I manage them through the exam and protect him from getting bitten. If they were venomous snakes he has already said he wouldn't see them...but he's not too afraid of the venomous lizards. But I do a really good job of protecting him...he's the only one I know of in my state that will even see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom